Old 03-17-2006, 10:11 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

Fort McMurray , Canada
Polishing Kits....

I have been reading alot of info regarding DYI polishing jobs. I live in a relatively remote northern area in Canada...We are in the process of obtaining an airstream, and it will need polishing. We don't have many readily available products, especially items that will assist in polishing. So I was hoping that there was a 'kit' that some could recommend that will provide all of the supplies and tools to polish ours up to a shine. Also it is a 32 footer, so not counting the sweat equity we will put into it, can anyone guesstimate how much product it would take/cost to make it shine??? Thanks again....I feel like a kid waiting for Xmas!!!!

Old 03-18-2006, 04:43 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1974 27' Overlander
1954 26' Romany Cruiser
1960 26' Overlander
Rockingham County , New Hampshire
Send a message via AIM to balrgn Send a message via Yahoo to balrgn
Quote:
Originally Posted by a-wanabbee
I have been reading alot of info regarding DYI polishing jobs. I live in a relatively remote northern area in Canada...We are in the process of obtaining an airstream, and it will need polishing. We don't have many readily available products, especially items that will assist in polishing. So I was hoping that there was a 'kit' that some could recommend that will provide all of the supplies and tools to polish ours up to a shine. Also it is a 32 footer, so not counting the sweat equity we will put into it, can anyone guesstimate how much product it would take/cost to make it shine??? Thanks again....I feel like a kid waiting for Xmas!!!!
Check out Vintage Trailer, They have a good selection and prices are great

That reminds me, I need to get some compound m'self

'60 Overlander (Hoagy)
2007 GMC Sierra 2500 HD Duramax
WBCCI 1754 - AIR # 6281
www.balrgn.com
balrgn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2006, 06:52 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
Vintage Kin Owner
Conifer/Evergreen , Colorado
Also Perfect Polish

Shari
WBCCI #1824 - DenCO Unit Past President (2005)
AIR #30 - Join Date: 2-25-2002

RMVAC | WBCCI DenCO Unit | Sisters on the Fly | Tin Can Tourists
BIRDY - our 1956 Safari | 1964 Serro Scotty
InsideOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2006, 08:31 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1986 25' Sovereign
Southern Middle , Tennessee
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by a-wanabbee
OK, I had to go out to the trailer and check my notes. I researched the following sites before ordering:

www.topoftheline.com
www.rightlook.com
www.swiftparts.com
www.wingwaxers.com
www.airstreamdreams.com
www.properautocare.com (Classic Motoring Accessories, LTD.
www.perfectpolish.com

On 4/4/03, The Right Look site had the best cyclo price alone at $239.95, beating the prices of Top of the Line by $6, Swift Parts by $20 and Perfect Polish by $30; however, shipping was included in the Perfect Polish price. I went further and looked at the different sites for all the velcro pad holders, foam pads, terrycloth bonnets, spandex bonnets, cyclowraps, polishes, and sealers. I then looked at the different kits and what was in them. I settled on the Cyclo kit #2 from Perfect Polish at $330 and added the cyclowraps for $48 and the polishing video for $30. I then bought the Rolite metal polishing kit consisting of Rolite Pre-polish, the medium cut Rolite polish, the final polish AP300 and the wax sealer from Top of the Line. That totalled $103 shipping included. I later purchased wool bonnets from www.vintagetrailersupply.com for the compounding of the skin before cycloing. I had to go back to Perfect Polish for additional foam cutting pads, velcro pad holders and cyclowraps.

A part of the large can of Rolite Pre-Polish is sitting on my shelf after polishing a 31' Excella 500. I ran out of the purple colored can of medium Rolite polish and had to buy another can. I switched over to Nuvite grade C which I found produces less black and is easier to work with than the Rolite. I also did not care for the AP-300 final polish and would use a Nuvite grade S
for a final polish when and if I do this again. I had plenty of the AP-300 left over.

Sites I checked for additional information on polishing, besides this fantastic forum, include:

www.nuvitechemical.com
http://globetrotter64.home.att.net
www.vintageairstreams.com
www.perfectpolish.com

I found that the wax/sealer HT-62 made by www.hitempinc.com left splotches and when I contacted the company they told me that I had to remove all traces of the AP-300 polish with mineral spirits, place the sealer on the surface, and not allow it to dry before wiping it off then buffing. It seemed to work but I'm not sure I would use it again.

I hope this helps.

AIR #0078
'01 2500hd ext. cab, 8.1 litre gas, 5 sp. Allison auto
3.73 rear end
Mag-Hytec rear diff cover
Amsoil Dual by-pass oil filtration system
Amsoil synthetics all around
265 watt AM Solar, Inc. system
davidz71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2006, 08:38 PM   #5
1977 31' Sovereign

Kalispell , Montana
I'm going to chime in on this and just say that you guy's forsure have got this one covered..
Old 03-22-2006, 04:52 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1994 21' Sovereign
Down on the corner... , CT
....Or you could treat yourself to this Ebay deal to the tune of $4900

Ebay item # 4624428572