Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-24-2004, 01:52 PM   #1
4 Rivet Member

1964 22' Safari
Foresthill , California
Polishing help

I’m looking for help locating someone I can pay to polish Airstream 19 foot shell. Anyone experienced, have the proper tools and willing to earn some cash? Perhaps pay off those expensive polishing tools? I can tow trailer to Northern California/Central Valley/Nevada areas. Any ideas?

Walter
walter1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2004, 11:14 PM   #2
a.k.a. Ambassador Tim

1960 28' Ambassador
Northern , California
I'm in Northern Ca. Although I am not ready to polish your trailer

I can certainly give you some first hand instruction and techniques.

If you bring your trailer by we can do some tests and teaching on it to get you started.
Check out my book: Restoring a Dream
Check out my Airstream book for kids!: Airstream Adventures
theVAP - Airstream Podcast
Safari Tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2004, 06:00 PM   #3

airstream motorhome

Tim:
I have a 1984 270 Airstream motor home. I would like to get it shiney again as well. I also need some panel repairs as somebody sat on my roof at the drivers side back can't see it from the ground but you can when you get up a ladder. I heard of a dealer in Manteca? I have polishing tools available. Have you heard of "Master Formula" metal polish. Ibought it at a car show as the demonstrater used a tiny bit to polish the bottom of a soda can to mirror like. What strips off the old varnish?
THX
Paul (Chico CA)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Safari Tim
I'm in Northern Ca. Although I am not ready to polish your trailer

I can certainly give you some first hand instruction and techniques.

If you bring your trailer by we can do some tests and teaching on it to get you started.
Paul w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2004, 11:30 PM   #4
a.k.a. Ambassador Tim

1960 28' Ambassador
Northern , California
Paul.

I am not familiar with a dealer in your area. I have purchased some parts from the dealer in Sacramento. Perhaps you could check airstream.com for a dealer in your area.

I have not heard of the *master formula* either. I used nuvite products from perfectpolish.com.

I used bix stripper from home depot to strip my AS. It worked well. Sometimes needed two coats.

Good luck with your polishing. Its hard work but worth it.
Check out my book: Restoring a Dream
Check out my Airstream book for kids!: Airstream Adventures
theVAP - Airstream Podcast
Safari Tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2004, 07:43 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Anna , Illinois
Send a message via Yahoo to overlander64
Polishing help

Greetings Paul!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul w
Tim:
I have a 1984 270 Airstream motor home. I would like to get it shiney again as well. I also need some panel repairs as somebody sat on my roof at the drivers side back can't see it from the ground but you can when you get up a ladder. I heard of a dealer in Manteca? I have polishing tools available. Have you heard of "Master Formula" metal polish. Ibought it at a car show as the demonstrater used a tiny bit to polish the bottom of a soda can to mirror like. What strips off the old varnish?
THX
Paul (Chico CA)
I can't help much with your polishing questions, but Manteca Trailers and Campers is an authorized Airstream dealer (Classic/International/Safari). I am not certain, but believe that they have been around for quite some time as I seem to remember seeing them listed in one of my 1970s Airstream manuals as a dealer. Their contact information is below:

MANTECA TRAILER & CAMPERS

1990 E. Yosemite
Manteca
CA, 95336
United States

Telephone 209-239-1267
Email: kress@mantecatrailer.com
Sales, Service, and Parts

All of the Airstream authorized dealers and service centers can be located via the Airstream website at:

Airstream Find a Dealers

Good luck with your project!

Kevin
WBCCI (Lifetime Member)/VAC #7864
AIR #827
1964 Overlander International
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
overlander64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2004, 11:23 PM   #6
4 Rivet Member

1964 22' Safari
Foresthill , California
Wink

Paul, I called Manteca trailer a while back as well as Sacramento Airstream dealer (owned by same people). They have no one to polish but gave me name of "Hand Jive Truck Polishing Co" (they each gave me different city locations). Perhaps we can track them down. They knew of them but had no direct contact/experience with them. Perhaps a truck polishing co. could help?

I also found a guy out of OK who does polishing tours to the west coast. I know two other AS owners interested in polishing jobs. Perhaps if we band together and can line up enough work we can get someone to do them all.
Lets practice on yours

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul w
Tim:
THX
Paul (Chico CA)
Old 10-12-2004, 11:34 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1984 29' Sovereign
Savannah , Missouri
Exclamation Just a word

A word to the wise..
Don't hold your breath for the "Western Tour polisher" to show up..
It's been covered on previous threads..
Contact Andy of InLandRV, for the name of a reputable polisher on the West Coast..
ciao
53FC
NEU #64
New England Unit
53flyingcloud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2004, 08:45 AM   #8
4 Rivet Member

1964 22' Safari
Foresthill , California
Yeah, the polish tour guy doesn't even respond to inquiries and already gave up on that idea. I contacted the "reputable polisher on the West Coast" recommended by Inland RV. He was most knowledgeable and very helpful. However, he wanted $5500 to polish my trailer. That’s cost prohibitive and more than I paid for the Airstream to begin with. While not looking for a “bargain” or cheap labor, I am looking to pay for some reasonably priced polishing work. There has to be someone in CA with experience who's ready to earn some cash or pay for all that polishing equipment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 53FlyingCloud
A word to the wise..
Don't hold your breath for the "Western Tour polisher" to show up..
It's been covered on previous threads..
Contact Andy of InLandRV, for the name of a reputable polisher on the West Coast..
ciao
53FC
Old 10-13-2004, 09:10 AM   #9
Rivet Master

1984 29' Sovereign
Savannah , Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by walter1
Yeah, the polish tour guy doesn't even respond to inquiries and already gave up on that idea. I contacted the "reputable polisher on the West Coast" recommended by Inland RV. He was most knowledgeable and very helpful. However, he wanted $5500 to polish my trailer. That’s cost prohibitive and more than I paid for the Airstream to begin with. While not looking for a “bargain” or cheap labor, I am looking to pay for some reasonably priced polishing work. There has to be someone in CA with experience who's ready to earn some cash or pay for all that polishing equipment.
Ouch~ I'd think about taking "Safari Tim" up on his offer..KWIM?
Good luck..
ciao
53FC
NEU #64
New England Unit
53flyingcloud is offline   Reply With Quote