Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 09-24-2004, 02:52 PM   #1
4 Rivet Member
 
walter1's Avatar
 
1964 22' Safari
Foresthill , California
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 257
Polishing help

I’m looking for help locating someone I can pay to polish Airstream 19 foot shell. Anyone experienced, have the proper tools and willing to earn some cash? Perhaps pay off those expensive polishing tools? I can tow trailer to Northern California/Central Valley/Nevada areas. Any ideas?

Walter
__________________

__________________
walter1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2004, 12:14 AM   #2
a.k.a. Ambassador Tim
 
Safari Tim's Avatar
 
1960 28' Ambassador
Northern , California
Join Date: Jun 2003
Posts: 1,921
Images: 35
I'm in Northern Ca. Although I am not ready to polish your trailer

I can certainly give you some first hand instruction and techniques.

If you bring your trailer by we can do some tests and teaching on it to get you started.
__________________

__________________
-Tim
1960 International Ambassador 28'
2001 Silverado 2500HD CC 6.0L 4.10
Check out my book: Restoring a Dream
Check out my Airstream book for kids!: Airstream Adventures
theVAP - Airstream Podcast
Safari Tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2004, 07:00 PM   #3
New Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 3
airstream motorhome

Tim:
I have a 1984 270 Airstream motor home. I would like to get it shiney again as well. I also need some panel repairs as somebody sat on my roof at the drivers side back can't see it from the ground but you can when you get up a ladder. I heard of a dealer in Manteca? I have polishing tools available. Have you heard of "Master Formula" metal polish. Ibought it at a car show as the demonstrater used a tiny bit to polish the bottom of a soda can to mirror like. What strips off the old varnish?
THX
Paul (Chico CA)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Safari Tim
I'm in Northern Ca. Although I am not ready to polish your trailer

I can certainly give you some first hand instruction and techniques.

If you bring your trailer by we can do some tests and teaching on it to get you started.
__________________
Paul w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2004, 12:30 AM   #4
a.k.a. Ambassador Tim
 
Safari Tim's Avatar
 
1960 28' Ambassador
Northern , California
Join Date: Jun 2003
Posts: 1,921
Images: 35
Paul.

I am not familiar with a dealer in your area. I have purchased some parts from the dealer in Sacramento. Perhaps you could check airstream.com for a dealer in your area.

I have not heard of the *master formula* either. I used nuvite products from perfectpolish.com.

I used bix stripper from home depot to strip my AS. It worked well. Sometimes needed two coats.

Good luck with your polishing. Its hard work but worth it.
__________________
-Tim
1960 International Ambassador 28'
2001 Silverado 2500HD CC 6.0L 4.10
Check out my book: Restoring a Dream
Check out my Airstream book for kids!: Airstream Adventures
theVAP - Airstream Podcast
Safari Tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2004, 08:43 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus
 
overlander64's Avatar
 
1964 26' Overlander
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Anna , Illinois
Join Date: Sep 2002
Posts: 5,396
Images: 183
Send a message via Yahoo to overlander64
Polishing help

Greetings Paul!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul w
Tim:
I have a 1984 270 Airstream motor home. I would like to get it shiney again as well. I also need some panel repairs as somebody sat on my roof at the drivers side back can't see it from the ground but you can when you get up a ladder. I heard of a dealer in Manteca? I have polishing tools available. Have you heard of "Master Formula" metal polish. Ibought it at a car show as the demonstrater used a tiny bit to polish the bottom of a soda can to mirror like. What strips off the old varnish?
THX
Paul (Chico CA)
I can't help much with your polishing questions, but Manteca Trailers and Campers is an authorized Airstream dealer (Classic/International/Safari). I am not certain, but believe that they have been around for quite some time as I seem to remember seeing them listed in one of my 1970s Airstream manuals as a dealer. Their contact information is below:

MANTECA TRAILER & CAMPERS

1990 E. Yosemite
Manteca
CA, 95336
United States

Telephone 209-239-1267
Email: kress@mantecatrailer.com
Website: www.mantecatrailer.com
Sales, Service, and Parts

All of the Airstream authorized dealers and service centers can be located via the Airstream website at:

Airstream Find a Dealers

Good luck with your project!

Kevin
__________________
Kevin D. Allen
WBCCI (Lifetime Member)/VAC/Free Wheelers #6359
AIR #827
1964 Overlander International/1999 GMC K2500 Suburban (7400 VORTEC/4.11 Differentials)
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre/1975 Cadillac Eldorado Convertible (8.2 Liter V8/2.70 Final Drive)
overlander64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2004, 12:23 AM   #6
4 Rivet Member
 
walter1's Avatar
 
1964 22' Safari
Foresthill , California
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 257
Wink

Paul, I called Manteca trailer a while back as well as Sacramento Airstream dealer (owned by same people). They have no one to polish but gave me name of "Hand Jive Truck Polishing Co" (they each gave me different city locations). Perhaps we can track them down. They knew of them but had no direct contact/experience with them. Perhaps a truck polishing co. could help?

I also found a guy out of OK who does polishing tours to the west coast. I know two other AS owners interested in polishing jobs. Perhaps if we band together and can line up enough work we can get someone to do them all.
Lets practice on yours


Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul w
Tim:
I have a 1984 270 Airstream motor home. I would like to get it shiney again as well. I also need some panel repairs as somebody sat on my roof at the drivers side back can't see it from the ground but you can when you get up a ladder. I heard of a dealer in Manteca? I have polishing tools available. Have you heard of "Master Formula" metal polish. Ibought it at a car show as the demonstrater used a tiny bit to polish the bottom of a soda can to mirror like. What strips off the old varnish?
THX
Paul (Chico CA)
__________________
walter1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2004, 12:34 AM   #7
Rivet Master
 
53flyingcloud's Avatar
 
1984 29' Sovereign
Savannah , Missouri
Join Date: Apr 2002
Posts: 3,457
Images: 17
Blog Entries: 1
Exclamation Just a word

A word to the wise..
Don't hold your breath for the "Western Tour polisher" to show up..
It's been covered on previous threads..
Contact Andy of InLandRV, for the name of a reputable polisher on the West Coast..
ciao
53FC
__________________
WBCCI 5292 AIR 807
NEU #64
New England Unit
53flyingcloud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2004, 09:45 AM   #8
4 Rivet Member
 
walter1's Avatar
 
1964 22' Safari
Foresthill , California
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 257
Yeah, the polish tour guy doesn't even respond to inquiries and already gave up on that idea. I contacted the "reputable polisher on the West Coast" recommended by Inland RV. He was most knowledgeable and very helpful. However, he wanted $5500 to polish my trailer. That’s cost prohibitive and more than I paid for the Airstream to begin with. While not looking for a “bargain” or cheap labor, I am looking to pay for some reasonably priced polishing work. There has to be someone in CA with experience who's ready to earn some cash or pay for all that polishing equipment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 53FlyingCloud
A word to the wise..
Don't hold your breath for the "Western Tour polisher" to show up..
It's been covered on previous threads..
Contact Andy of InLandRV, for the name of a reputable polisher on the West Coast..
ciao
53FC
__________________
walter1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2004, 10:10 AM   #9
Rivet Master
 
53flyingcloud's Avatar
 
1984 29' Sovereign
Savannah , Missouri
Join Date: Apr 2002
Posts: 3,457
Images: 17
Blog Entries: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by walter1
Yeah, the polish tour guy doesn't even respond to inquiries and already gave up on that idea. I contacted the "reputable polisher on the West Coast" recommended by Inland RV. He was most knowledgeable and very helpful. However, he wanted $5500 to polish my trailer. That’s cost prohibitive and more than I paid for the Airstream to begin with. While not looking for a “bargain” or cheap labor, I am looking to pay for some reasonably priced polishing work. There has to be someone in CA with experience who's ready to earn some cash or pay for all that polishing equipment.
Ouch~ I'd think about taking "Safari Tim" up on his offer..KWIM?
Good luck..
ciao
53FC
__________________

__________________
WBCCI 5292 AIR 807
NEU #64
New England Unit
53flyingcloud is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
After polishing; Always the same question; NO reply ! brunoffrance Cleaning, Stripping & Polishing 6 06-14-2014 09:43 PM
Post polishing seal or wax? Jabba Cleaning, Stripping & Polishing 20 09-03-2004 04:30 PM
Beginning the polishing project yukionna Cleaning, Stripping & Polishing 3 06-28-2004 01:45 AM
What is this polishing scam/racket? millionairstream Cleaning, Stripping & Polishing 43 06-07-2004 10:45 AM
Polishing Inland RV Center, In Cleaning, Stripping & Polishing 1 08-13-2003 06:25 PM


Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by




Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 06:16 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Airstream is a registered trademark of Airstream Inc. All rights reserved. Airstream trademark used under license to Social Knowledge LLC.