Old 04-16-2005, 09:55 AM   #1

Question polishing guru

I've finally decided to pay someone to polish my 67 Globetrotter. I've heard there's someone in Bellflower, CA. The Polishing Guru is near there. I talked to him and he wants $4750!!!!! Sounds like he knows his stuff, but that's at least twice what I thought I'd have to pay. Anyone know anyone better? Northern CA is our launching pad.

Old 04-16-2005, 11:22 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Anna , Illinois
Send a message via Yahoo to overlander64
polishing guru

Greetings Chas Trotter!

Welcome to the Forums!

Quote:
Originally Posted by chas trotter
I've finally decided to pay someone to polish my 67 Globetrotter. I've heard there's someone in Bellflower, CA. The Polishing Guru is near there. I talked to him and he wants $4750!!!!! Sounds like he knows his stuff, but that's at least twice what I thought I'd have to pay. Anyone know anyone better? Northern CA is our launching pad.
The price that you indicate is actually a little less than I paid to have my Overlander professionally polished and Plasticoated just a bit more than three years ago. I know that when I had my coach polished, there was a significant extra charge (about $750 extra) over the base rate to allow for the extra work required to remedy some damage that had been done by a previous owner's failed attempt at polishing (one large panel had beeen seriously scratched by what was thought to have been grit in the polishing bonnets utilized by the previous owner in his polishing attempt).

If you have checked out your polisher's references and are satisfied that he does quality work, I don't believe that the price you indicate is greatly out of line, especially if any extra work is included to address any particular problems that have been identified (IMHO).

This is one of those projects where I was willing to accept higher cost because I knew that I was dealing with a professional who had been in the business of polishing and Plasticoating Airstreams for more than two decades. I wasn't disappointed with the quality nor the durability of the finished project. Photos of my coach as refinished by P & S Trailer Service in Helena, OH as well as pre-polish photos can be seen below:

Good luck with your decision!

Kevin
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	curbside_exterior_14-med.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	57.6 KB
ID:	11565   Click image for larger version

Name:	streetside_exterior_21-med.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	45.3 KB
ID:	11566  

Click image for larger version

Name:	curbside_1_after-med.jpg
Views:	107
Size:	75.9 KB
ID:	11567   Click image for larger version

Name:	streetside_1_after-med.jpg
Views:	92
Size:	82.6 KB
ID:	11568  

WBCCI (Lifetime Member)/VAC/Free Wheelers #6359
AIR #827
1964 Overlander International/1999 GMC K2500 Suburban (7400 VORTEC/4.11 Differentials)
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre/1975 Cadillac Eldorado Convertible (8.2 Liter V8/2.70 Final Drive)
overlander64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2005, 11:26 AM   #3
a.k.a. Ambassador Tim

1960 28' Ambassador
Northern , California
I hold a polishing seminar in Northern California. In it you will learn the tools and techniques with hands of experience (if you bring your trailer). The seminar costs $500. Hurry only one seat is available!
Check out my book: Restoring a Dream
Check out my Airstream book for kids!: Airstream Adventures
theVAP - Airstream Podcast
Safari Tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2005, 11:37 AM   #4
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Castaic , California
When are you doing this?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Safari Tim
I hold a polishing seminar in Northern California. In it you will learn the tools and techniques with hands of experience (if you bring your trailer). The seminar costs $500. Hurry only one seat is available!
Old 04-16-2005, 11:42 AM   #5
a.k.a. Ambassador Tim

1960 28' Ambassador
Northern , California
Just as soon as the check clears the bank!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bambi's Dad
When are you doing this?
Old 04-16-2005, 12:13 PM   #6
a.k.a. Ambassador Tim

1960 28' Ambassador
Northern , California
Seriously though. If someone needs some one on one instruction.

We can arrange that. I'm located near Sacramento.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bambi's Dad
When are you doing this?
Old 04-16-2005, 02:01 PM   #7
2 Rivet Member

Do all those smilies mean you're joking?

I sure hope so-

I've been looking at the stuff coming out of the airport near me, and have been able to get through to one guy that works there.

I watched a 21' Flying Cloud that looked terrible come out nice and shiny after a week of not being around there- and I mean it was bad!

Then a later model 22' Safari that was totally dull was done in 3 or 4 days- and it looked perfect.

Aside from that there was a plane with a Swiss flag painted on the tail, and an experimental aircraft that was done- all in days, not months as these threads say it takes.

Also- the expenditure is quite high for a "class" to do it. The people I spoke with there say they take common rouge bars, either green or white, break them up into smaller pieces and run them through a Cuisinart machine of some kind, and then they have a blender they mix the powder with mineral spirits to come out as a liquid.

They're using 2 sided pads that the man said were about $25 each, and that they usually had to use 2 for the first run, 1 for the second, and they were different textures.

He says they first sand them with 1000 grit wet paper and then hit it with the polish. Totaling what he said, the whole job would cost less than 130.00 not including the buffer, which is supposed to be high speed and variable, like the one I already have for body grinding.

The work I saw was pretty nice- as good or better than what I see here. The time was no where near worth paying $4000 or more for a pro. The way I look at it, if the guys in the airport can do it in 3 or 4 days- I should get it done in a week.

How long do the companies that charge $4000 for it say it takes? I'm sure they're not using the same system as someone who's taking all summer.
Old 04-16-2005, 05:08 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
Vintage Kin Owner
Conifer/Evergreen , Colorado
Quote:
...all in days, not months as these threads say it takes.
The only reason it takes months is it's ususally one person working when they can fit it in between their 'life', travels and 'real job'. If you have a set-up or lifestyle that you can just drop everything and attack it as a full-time job with a couple of other experienced helpers or get the high-buck equipment like the Airmark drums, both of which the 'pros' do, it doesn't take months...but it does take money.

Shari
WBCCI #1824 - DenCO Unit Past President (2005)
AIR #30 - Join Date: 2-25-2002

RMVAC | WBCCI DenCO Unit | Sisters on the Fly | Tin Can Tourists
BIRDY - our 1956 Safari | 1964 Serro Scotty
InsideOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2005, 10:19 PM   #9
a.k.a. Ambassador Tim

1960 28' Ambassador
Northern , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by TravelCloud
I sure hope so-.
Yes the means joking! There is so much good information on polishing and you can see demos at rallys there is really no excuse not to know how to do it right.

Quote:
I've been looking at the stuff coming out of the airport near me, and have been able to get through to one guy that works there.

He says they first sand them with 1000 grit wet paper and then hit it with the polish. Totaling what he said, the whole job would cost less than 130.00 not including the buffer, which is supposed to be high speed and variable, like the one I already have for body grinding.

How long do the companies that charge $4000 for it say it takes? I'm sure they're not using the same system as someone who's taking all summer.

Don't want to sound rude, but we have heard it all before. I'd like to finally see someone who comes up with the cheaper/better/easier way to polish a trailer to actually do it and see it next to a trailer done the old way.

We have lots of people come through here talking it up and never complete a trailer and document with pictures with their new method.

I say go for it. Put your rouge where your mouth is

Then go into buisness because if you can do a quality job in a week with $130 expenses, you'll make a killing!

BTW my offer still stands. If someone needs 'hands on help' in Northern California give me a ring and we can arrange a demo.
Old 04-17-2005, 09:21 AM   #10
Rivet Master

1961 22' Safari
Vienna , Virginia
I don't think that rouge is really a new way of doing this. From time to time, I document airport safety systems for work (navigation, radars, radios, etc.) at airports in developing countries. Since getting my trailer, I've been interested in seeing how polishing is done, so I've taken the opportunity to visit a couple of airline maintenance shops as well.

Rouge sticks appear to be the norm, the "old fashioned way" to polish aircraft. Rolite, nuvite are the new guys. From what I hear, these polishes have better (creamier, iirc) suspension. However, rouge is approved by Boeing--and in poor countries, they can't afford the smoother polishes. However, their results still meet Boeing and ICAO standards, though.

Of course, in some places where labor is cheaper than equipment, they also final polish by hand. It's all a question of how much time and money you have (isn't that always the case!).

Personally, the best polish job I have ever seen was a shop job done in Bogota, Colombia. Better than any effort on an airstream (even the pics here), I have to say...Unfortunately, there are too many dangers to getting my trailer down there!

Mary
Old 04-18-2005, 12:44 AM   #11

Hello, Iowa boys in North Hollywood( Los Angeles) will do it for around 2700.00
Old 04-18-2005, 10:41 AM   #12
Patriotic

1973 23' Safari
North of Boston , Massachusetts
Quote:
The work I saw was pretty nice- as good or better than what I see here. The time was no where near worth paying $4000 or more for a pro. The way I look at it, if the guys in the airport can do it in 3 or 4 days- I should get it done in a week.

so...aircraft mechanics aren't "pro's"????

last I heard, a cheap shop rate was over $100/hr. 3 or 4 days at that rate= "thousands" of dollars.

the "months" figure you've read about is for do-it-yourself-ers, working at home, a few hours here and there when they have the time. and of course, the total number of hours involved is much higher, due to the learning process.
'00 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4 QC
Chuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2005, 04:05 PM   #13
2 Rivet Member

Not to argue...

The boss of the place who owns these things was not around, he works out of there and they said he won't do them for others- only his own. The man I spoke with said he was not very friendly and wouldn't share info. I went by there several times, and when I did see work getting accomplished, it was leaps and bounds from the last.

I'm just trying to learn- I'll accept your challenge when I can do it- I'm pretty confident that these people are up on whats getting it done. I believe the response was laughter when I mentioned the trailer guys answer to what we use. They said that it cost too much and takes too long. The rouge is supposed to be in them as well- so why pay so much more for it?

I even went as far as to dig through the dumpster there to see what I could see- they say they have less than 25-30 hours in each one including sanding it, so I don't know why its taking so long this other way. The progress in the one pic was a days work, so I was told, and he stopped for rain.

One thing I know is this- that trailer was looking good last I saw it, and for that amount of money and 2 weekends, I'll be spending the $130 to find out-maybe I'll regret it, but from what my eyes see- doubtful.

Now I just need the time off.
Attached Images

Old 04-18-2005, 06:06 PM   #14
3 Rivet Member

I'm about half finished with a first pass on a '51 Royal Spartanette that I'm converting to a toy hauler. It's lots of work but the results are most satisfying.

Pictures on page 5
1951 Royal Spartanette Toybox