Old 09-29-2003, 07:44 PM   #29
Rivet Master

1969 31' Sovereign
Broken Arrow , Oklahoma
TIP

IMHO....Been there done that......
Once you polish an area "wax it" a polished area that gets wet will leave water spot's. Water spots will be your worst nightmare as SS won't easly remove them. If an area is stripped and not polished it is not as bad a problem as polished and not waxed.
I have no opinion on what type of wax. I use Turtle wax others use a brand of carnabula wax. "Just be sure you wax".

Garry

Old 10-01-2003, 03:27 PM   #30
2 Rivet Member

Supplies arrived.....

Just received my 3M buffing pads today from Levine. So tried out on an approximately 4 sq. ft. area. They really work well with the SS. Shined up fairly well but need to work area some more until I get technique down.

Still not as shiney as the Nuvite/Perfect Polish trailers that I have seen but is okay for us. The coarser 3M pad (5701?) did leave some swirl marks but the finer pad (5705) removed them easily.

I had bought some polishing pads at Walmart to try before the 3M pads arrived but they proved to be worthless!!!

Tried a 3M aluminum polish that Levine had suggested but didn't like nearly as well as the SS.

The laquer thinner seems to work better than the mineral spirits for cleaning up the "black" residual off the metal. But will need to reread the posts to see if better way.

My wife has gotten permission to use the high school auto shop on the weekends. It is indoors and scaffolding is available. (Makes me feel a little better about paying our school tax.) So now we need to figure out which weekend we will tackle it.

Once we start will try to take more before/after pictures.

PS: Trailer came pre-creased from PO.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ss.jpg
Views:	398
Size:	47.0 KB
ID:	3346  

Old 10-01-2003, 03:45 PM   #31
Rivet Master

1978 25' Tradewind
Metro Phoenix , Arizona
Man, is that gonna make a monster difference in your trailer or WHAT?!?

It's gonna be nice!!

-Don
Old 10-01-2003, 04:10 PM   #32
2 Rivet Member

Don....

Now all I need to do is order another 5710 adapter for the wifes "Far East" polisher so we can both polish together. She is looking forward to getting it done.....

But she is kind of busy. Finishing up her Math Education thesis this fall for her masters. And she is also taking a "Signing" night class so she can better communicate with her deaf students.

After retiring, I was promoted to chief cook and bottle washer so I do contribute a little.
Old 10-01-2003, 08:22 PM   #33
3 Rivet Member

You did that with SS only or did you use something else before the SS? Also, what RPM setting on the polisher?

Oscar

PS Save a bottle for those windows and trim. (detailing)
Old 10-01-2003, 08:33 PM   #34
2 Rivet Member

Oscar....

Did this with SS only. Didn't even prewash spot which will do prior to doing remainder. Used the buffer on speed setting 2. Found that 3 was a little too fast at least for this first attempt.

If I took a closeup picture you would still see some swirls, scratches and minor pitting which I may be able to reduce somewhat with a little more work. But from about 5 to 6 feet away looks pretty good which for me is good enough.

Will know more when start again but may be several weeks due to wife's busy schedule. She doesn't want to miss the polishing fun.
Old 10-10-2004, 07:15 PM   #35

I'm new to this

I am new to this and am afraid I don't know what "ss" stands for.
THX
Paul

Quote:
Originally Posted by 54FlyingCloud
Did this with SS only. Didn't even prewash spot which will do prior to doing remainder. Used the buffer on speed setting 2. Found that 3 was a little too fast at least for this first attempt.

If I took a closeup picture you would still see some swirls, scratches and minor pitting which I may be able to reduce somewhat with a little more work. But from about 5 to 6 feet away looks pretty good which for me is good enough.

Will know more when start again but may be several weeks due to wife's busy schedule. She doesn't want to miss the polishing fun.
Old 10-11-2004, 12:32 AM   #36
a.k.a. Ambassador Tim

1960 28' Ambassador
Northern , California
ss stands for Southern Shine. It is a alternative polish technique that some have used with good results.

Do a search for southern shine and you find all you need to know ;-)
Check out my book: Restoring a Dream
Check out my Airstream book for kids!: Airstream Adventures
theVAP - Airstream Podcast
Safari Tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2004, 12:56 PM   #37
2 Rivet Member

1970 25' Tradewind
Cincinnati , Ohio
What size bottles of Southern Shine are you using? I'm getting ready to polish our '70 Tradewind. I have a 32 oz. bottle but don't want to get caught short.

Thanks!
Debby
Old 10-11-2004, 06:04 PM   #38
5 rivets, 1 loose screw

1966 20' Globetrotter
Saginaw County , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Herm and Debby
What size bottles of Southern Shine are you using? I'm getting ready to polish our '70 Tradewind. I have a 32 oz. bottle but don't want to get caught short.

Thanks!
Debby
Debby, my experience in polishing a 1971 18' Caravel with SS resulted in a ratio of approximately 1 ounce per lineal foot.
Results will vary but better too much than too little.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Ext001b.jpg
Views:	150
Size:	46.9 KB
ID:	9045  

May you camp where wind won’t hit you, where snakes won’t bite and bears won’t git you.

Rog0525 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2004, 11:26 PM   #39
AND MAC TOO

how many

Does anyone know appx. how many of the 01 and 05 pads will be requierd to do a 31 ft. soverign with the SS. Wife will be using two buffers, one in each hand. lol. Also where do you get the 201 stripper,(I think that was the number) and how much will it take for same coach? Also will this stripper harm the sikaflex and the parabond tha we just finnished puttting on all of the windows and doors,and the seams, and the rear end sag repair, and the belly pan?? Thanks for all the good info!

Mac
Old 10-14-2004, 11:09 AM   #40
Rivet Master

1963 19' Globetrotter
Currently Looking...
Moline , Illinois
Does anyone know how low of a temperature you can polish at using the Southern Shine product? I am hoping for a little Indian summer weather here in my part of Illinois and would like to do some exterior work before winter sets in. Could I really get my 19' Globetrotter done in a couple of days using this product and my Milwaukee buffer.Also what about using sweatshirt type material as a third and final finish?