Old 09-28-2003, 07:11 PM   #15
Rivet Master

1969 31' Sovereign
Broken Arrow , Oklahoma
I'm thinking the condition of the A/S skin will have something to do with it...Using the same equip and method but taking twice as long. Your A/S does look good.. Hmm the car is looking good to

garry

Old 09-28-2003, 07:28 PM   #16
Rivet Master

1978 25' Tradewind
Metro Phoenix , Arizona
Stef, this sounds too dumb to be true, but it was so dark last night when I was doing the coarse pad that I didn't notice the swirls. Duh! But for some reason I wasn't freaked out, and I just figured it would come out with the fine pad.

The 3M pads and the adapter I bought down at a local auto paint supply store - they had piles of 'em.

I have noticed that the more rounded skins on the ends don't take a polish near as well as the side skins.

Oh well!

That's all part of the 80/20 deal.... at least that's what I keep telling myself.

It's also true that if I get like really bored at some point, I can still whip out some 99,999 grit wet sandpaper, and go after the scratches....

...and thanks! More car info is available
here.

Old 09-28-2003, 07:49 PM   #17
Vintage Alum. Enthusiast

1959 24' Tradewind
Phoenix , Arizona
OK Don, which local store has piles of them? I burnt throught he two cheap ones I had and need some new ones. No polishing this weekend because I need some new pads. Help !

FF

I'm haunted by aluminum.
Charter Member of the 4 Corners Unit.
flyfshr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2003, 07:58 PM   #18
2 Rivet Member

Don....

Thanks for the reply. I did order the 5710 adapter for the pads. Also the people at Levine Autopart suggested another aluminum polish that I thought I would try in addition to SS.

Hopefully my AS will turn out as good as yours. Just know that if the 1 foot square test spot I did by hand with cloth rag in about 2 to 3 minutes with the SS polish is matched or surpassed by the buffer, I will be estatic.

JPAIRSTREAM:

Following is thread within which I cut and pasted many suggestions regarding polishing including TT posts and current discussions:

http://www.airforums.com/forum...&threadid=6816

Items I think are needed for the SS method are:

{Ordered first 3 from: http://www.levineautoparts.com as was about 2/3 price of my local auto parts store plus no tax. }

1. 3M Wool buffing pad #5701

2. 3M Wool buffing pad #5705

3. Buffing Wheel adapter #5710

4. Harbor Freight Chicago Electric 7'' VARIABLE SPEED POLISHER/SANDER ITEM 46507-0VGA 11amp

5. Terrycloth rags (bought mine at Sam's Club)

6. Mineral Spirits or Laquer Thinner

7. Southern Shine (purchase from Stephanie - dnstoys.com)

8. Dawn Dishwashing Liquid to clean AS

9. Wax (Liquid Glass Wax seems to be preference, however, is no longer available. Some suggested Turtle Wax, Meguires or Carnuba)

10. Napier Removall 210, for clearcoat removal.

11. Buffing Pad Rake/Cleaning Tool (bought at local Paint Store)

12. 3M Green and Blue Scratch Pads

13. 1000 grit Wet/Dry Sandpaper (May also want finer sandpaper)

Hope this helps...
Old 09-28-2003, 08:04 PM   #19
Rivet Master

1978 25' Tradewind
Metro Phoenix , Arizona
flyfshr, I got all the 3M stuff at....
Space Age Auto Paint on Country Club in Mesa.

Don
Old 09-29-2003, 05:46 AM   #20
3 Rivet Member

Hearing Don's results confirms my thinking.

I had already made a pass with the Nuvite before Trailer Trash came by and got me into the SS. I ordered 2 bottles of SS from Stef and the pads from Levine (great service from both). I have spent about 1 1/2 hours eash of the last 2 days. I did about half of each of the sides in that time. It looks great.

I think you can in one day (8-10 hours) finish a trailer and have good results. You will still have the fillafoam corosion to some degree. You might also have some swirl marks. But you will have a great looking trailer. Trailer starting condition can have an effect on this estimate.
Old 09-29-2003, 06:56 AM   #21
Little Radio

1966 28' Ambassador
Chicago , Illinois
Smile Reply from Airstream!

I sent a note to Airstream's "suggestion box" and asked why they didn't offer a "mirror finish aluminum skin" option on their trailers...

I got a prompt reply from Bob Wheeler, V.P. Product Development and Engineering, who said:

"...we are investigating how we might receive "shiny" aluminum from Alcoa, our supplier, that would allow us to do what you suggest. We currently receive the sheet already clear-coated, which prevents us from having to build a spray facility (many EPA issues), so we're somewhat at their mercy."

Thanks Bob for your fast reply! Just thought the community would like to know, too.
Old 09-29-2003, 07:16 AM   #22
Rivet Master

1966 26' Overlander
Woodstock , Georgia
Mr Wheeler is the gentleman that has kept us posted on the progress of the new Airsteam Classic Motorhome to be coming in the next year or two. We all appreciate the "inside scoop"!!
Old 09-29-2003, 10:31 AM   #23
3 Rivet Member

1962 19' Globetrotter
2001 31' Excella
How about someone providing a step-by-step of the process to use with the SS (ie, what pads to use at the different stages, how to apply the SS, etc)...

Thanks!
Old 09-29-2003, 11:32 AM   #24
Rivet Master

1978 25' Tradewind
Metro Phoenix , Arizona
Craig, you start by stripping the clearcoat. I'm using the Napier Removall 210. I just put it on with a brush, and wait about half an hour, then wash it off with a high pressure nozzle on a garden hose.
It takes a couple of times on most panels. If you want to see if the clear coat is still on, put a little SS on a rag, and rub. The SS will turn black if the clear coat is gone; otherwise if the clearcoat is still there, the SS stays green.

I just "drizzled" some SS on the trailer, little "trickles: about 6-12 inches apart. I started with the 5701 pad and hit it. There are some parts of the trailer where you can't drizzle SS -- I put some on the pad and smeared it on the trailer before buffing.

I'm using the Harbor Freight Variable Speed Buffer, on the lowest speed, presumably about 1000 rpm.

When you're done with the 5701 pad, change to the finer 5705 pad and hit it again. I noticed this morning as the sun was hitting that side of the trailer that I should have done more with the fine pad, so don't skimp on that like I did. (The other side will look better, I promise!)

When you're done with the second pad, you'll have a ton of black goo (aluminum oxide) on the pad, the trailer, your clothes, and wherever. Before you put on whatever wax-type-stuff you're using, you'll need to get the black off. It won't just wash off; it does come off instantly with "mineral spirits" or lacquer thinner. Note that whatever rags you use for this will pretty much be permanently trashed, so don't use your wife's best tablecloth.

...and I wanna meet 54FlyingCloud's wife! Her own buffer, no less! My wife looked at my buffer in the garage like it was a dead rattlesnake!
Old 09-29-2003, 12:15 PM   #25
2 Rivet Member

Don....

Thanks for the update. Hopefully, our 3M supplies will be arriving soon so we can get started.

As for the two buffers, she is looking forward to doing the fine buffing after I do the coarse work. Actually this is her trailer. She allows me to go along on trips and to work on it with her.

She loves going to our local Harbor Freight store. Does't buy anything but just likes to look around. Her other favorite stores are Quilting/Fabric stores and old feed mills.

As for the "rattlesnake", she has said if we ever find a dead one on the road, she wants me to stop and get it for her. Can't remember reason why she wants one.

Keep up good work. Maybe when we get started will post some before and after pics also.
Old 09-29-2003, 12:19 PM   #26
3 Rivet Member

1962 19' Globetrotter
2001 31' Excella
drboyd - Thanks for the steps. I have the SS, and just ordered the rest of the supplies!
Old 09-29-2003, 02:22 PM   #27
Rivet Master

1978 25' Tradewind
Metro Phoenix , Arizona
Randy, tell Debra that all the guys on the list are madly in love with her! Harbor Freight?!? Her own buffer?!?! What more could a guy want???

Don
Old 09-29-2003, 07:31 PM   #28
Vintage Alum. Enthusiast

1959 24' Tradewind
Phoenix , Arizona
Picked up my pads today from Space Age, can't wait to get going again. Thanks for the tip Don.

FF

I'm haunted by aluminum.
Charter Member of the 4 Corners Unit.
flyfshr is offline   Reply With Quote