Old 04-15-2008, 09:30 AM   #15
Rivet Master

1975 31' Sovereign
1973 27' Overlander
1977 23' Safari
Palmer Lake , Colorado
Send a message via Skype™ to Zeppelinium
Thanks for the link. Flying formation in gliders is a kick and something of a unique experience if you get on the inside of the turn. But the mountain wave in the Sierras is waaay supportive, if you know what I mean.

But getting down close to the ground at VNE is for the crazies. For me, glider close to ground equals traffic pattern, only.

Zep
Supersonic in a glider, but that's a different story...

Zeppelinium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2008, 10:55 AM   #16
Liquid Cooled

2014 16' Sport
Columbus , Indiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeppelinium
Thanks for the link. Flying formation in gliders is a kick and something of a unique experience if you get on the inside of the turn. But the mountain wave in the Sierras is waaay supportive, if you know what I mean.

But getting down close to the ground at VNE is for the crazies. For me, glider close to ground equals traffic pattern, only.

Zep
Supersonic in a glider, but that's a different story...
Oh, I agree about the down low stuff, but it makes good video.
The gaggles too, are interesting. This was taken on the first day of the first contest I ever flew in. It was an experience!

BTW, did you notice the reflexed flaps on the '20?

I've played a little bit on a ridge near Elmira NY and Alamogordo, but not real close to the lip, as there isn't a lot of margin there. Have been fortunate enough to hit some wave & convergance lift as well. Wave is kind of dull once you punch into it.

Friends used to tell me how peaceful they though it must be... But it isn't, you know. It's only intense concentration and force of will that keeps them in the air. Stop with either and you're aux vaches.

Back sort of on topic, Juan Batch had a metal sailplane with natural (polished) leading edges. Don't know what he used, but it sure stuck out in a thermal.

Old 04-15-2008, 11:59 AM   #17
Miss Rivette

1965 17' Caravel
Hell , Michigan
Send a message via AIM to airedale Send a message via MSN to airedale Send a message via Yahoo to airedale
Quote:
Originally Posted by vswingfield
Oh how I whish. I’m not even a flyer; my brother is the Wing Commander of the Little Rock Wing. I am under intense pressure to join, because there is a tremendous need for support staff. You need people on both sides of the radio.

I attended the Christmas Awards Ceremony, which for the first time was a combination between the Senior CAP and the Cadet program. The Cadet Color Guard presented the colors. Trust me, when you ask “What’s the matter with kids today?”, you are not talking about these kids. They make me ashamed about what a slacker I was when I was their age, and I was National Honor Society and president of the Science Club.

One of my friends was a captain with the Old Guard, the color guard at Arlington Nation Cemetery. I can remember sitting in his basement looking at videotapes of presentations. Comments went from “Oh, he got his sword tip late, he made us look bad.” to “I got my sword tip up late (And we all know how embarrassing that can be).”

The thing is, these kids looked good in comparison to the best.
If he was a Wing commander, it wasnt just over Little Rock, it would be for the whole state. He may have been a Group Commander? I was on the Color Guard for 3 years and Drill Team for 2. I was a cadet Lt Col, and was in for 8 years as a cadet. And am now a 1st Lt as a senior.
Operation "SAVE RUDY" Strike Team (Charter Member)

Check Out My New Airstream Blog
airedale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2008, 01:36 PM   #18

Ellensburg , Washington
Holy cow, look at all the replies! Should have checked back sooner! Glad to see there are a few pilots on here, I'm an instrument rated private pilot but I'll be getting my commercial here in a bit, and will start working on CFI after that. The glider video was amazing, but those guys must have a death wish or something. Reminds me a little of the crazy videos I've seen of people who jump from cliffs wearing flying squirrel suits. If you haven't seen those, I highly recommend doing a youtube search. Well, I might be interested in trading 1/2 share for a nice looking Airstream, but unfortunately I just do the detailing work at the airport so the plane isn't mine to give away, lol. I gotta pay for flight training somehow! Thanks Vaughn for your advice, the drill idea is a good one. I've seen those Flitz polishing balls at Napa before, are they any good or should I look elsewhere? As for the N-number, perhaps use the polishing ball and tape off as much as I can around it? I've noticed some definite darkening of paint when I compound over it with F7, but I think it might come out with a cleaner wax... Also, here's another question: Instead of a cyclo (which seems to be the tool of choice for polishing) I have a Porter Cable 7424 orbital buffer, similar to the cyclo but with one bigger head instead of two small ones. I don't know where I'd get the diaper or sweatshirt material for the finishing step that would fit well over the head of the PC, so is it possible to just use a terrycloth or microfiber bonnet instead, while still having good results? Thanks for all the help!
-Scott A.
Old 04-15-2008, 01:45 PM   #19
Rivet Master

1983 34' Excella
1967 24' Tradewind
Little Rock , Arkansas
Rivet My Misteak

Quote:
Originally Posted by airedale
If he was a Wing commander, it wasnt just over Little Rock, it would be for the whole state. He may have been a Group Commander? I was on the Color Guard for 3 years and Drill Team for 2. I was a cadet Lt Col, and was in for 8 years as a cadet. And am now a 1st Lt as a senior.
You are right, Bucky Britton is Wing Commander. Ron is now Group Commander. I accused them of getting him in that position because he is the new guy. Being self employed, his schedule is more flexible so it gives him the ability to devote time to CAP that others cannot. I was thinking Group and wrote Wing.
Old 04-15-2008, 01:46 PM   #20
Rivet Master

1983 34' Excella
1967 24' Tradewind
Little Rock , Arkansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by ibanez737
Thanks Vaughn for your advice, the drill idea is a good one. I've seen those Flitz polishing balls at Napa before, are they any good or should I look elsewhere?
I don't know about those. I have never used them. If you try them, let us know.
Old 04-15-2008, 02:03 PM   #21
Rivet Master

1994 21' Sovereign
Down on the corner... , CT
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedSHED
Come on over to the dark side: YouTube - Gliding Video

I quit when I got married, but the club I was a member of in Albuquerque had a number of former military pilots and other colorful characters.
That was a very cool video. I went gliding up in Elmira NY as a kid. I would have given anything for a ride like that.....saweeeeeet!
NEU
enduroryda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2008, 02:09 PM   #22
Miss Rivette

1965 17' Caravel
Hell , Michigan
Send a message via AIM to airedale Send a message via MSN to airedale Send a message via Yahoo to airedale
yea, i need to get some more hours toward my Private Pilots License. Im about 5-10 hours away from solo.
Operation "SAVE RUDY" Strike Team (Charter Member)

Check Out My New Airstream Blog
airedale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2008, 10:33 AM   #23
Rivet Master

1975 31' Sovereign
1973 27' Overlander
1977 23' Safari
Palmer Lake , Colorado
Send a message via Skype™ to Zeppelinium
Quote:
Originally Posted by ibanez737
...Instead of a cyclo (which seems to be the tool of choice for polishing) I have a Porter Cable 7424 orbital buffer, similar to the cyclo but with one bigger head instead of two small ones. I don't know where I'd get the diaper or sweatshirt material for the finishing step that would fit well over the head of the PC, so is it possible to just use a terrycloth or microfiber bonnet instead, while still having good results? ...-Scott A.
One guru here on the forums says don't use terrycloth, but I don't know why. You can buy the sweatshirt material from some of the vendors who sell Nuvite--Google around.

The Porter Cable orbital ought to work. No harm in trying it with some S grade--you can take those small "scratches" out by hand polishing, if necessary.

The darkening of the N numbers is from the black oxidation. I wonder if there is some solvent that's paint friendly but would allow you to wash the black off?

Zep
Zeppelinium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2008, 10:44 AM   #24
Rivet Master

Elgin , Texas
You might also find the sweatshirt material at a fabric store for not a lot of money.

bake315 is offline   Reply With Quote