Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-25-2012, 11:06 PM   #1
4RivetWannabe

2007 16' Bambi
2018 26' Flying Cloud
San Jose , California
Polishing a 2006/2007 model

Hi,
We have the 16' 2007 CCD. Although we were told it was manufactured with the clearcoat and aluminum combination for 2006 and prior years.

The trailer was purchased used and has some pretty bad corrosion problems around some of the seams and tail lights. This is due to the trailer being stored next to the ocean most its life. We were told we should have that sanded out, and then polished and coated with some protective coating. The part we have a problem with is that polishing. I will change the original "brushed" look, to one that is "mirror" like. So we would then polish the whole unit to keep it uniform.

We are not sure if this is the right thing to do for a couple of reasons.

1. It will be polished, and while it looks great on older units, it wouldn't be original on the 2006. We aren't sure if this would lower the value of the unit and if it would look odd for a newer unit to have that look.
2. We actually like the brushed/satin look of the 2006.

Does anyone have opinions or insight on this topic/problem that we have.
rportillo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 06:49 AM   #2
3 Rivet Member

2007 16' Bambi
West Hollywood , California
Hey RP

I have a 2007 16' also. I've got some corrosion too, not horrible, and I'm dealing with it with "sanding", polishing, coating. I recommend that you read through postings by RobertCross regarding this issue. He's posted lots of detailed info with pictures. I've found his advice to be spot on. About the polishing... he used a 3-step process with 3M rubbing compounds (Perfect-It Swirl Mark Remover #39009, Imperial Hand Glaze #39007, and Perfect-It II #39002) and then a polish with Griot's Garage Paint Sealant. I followed his advice and used the 3M products with great success. I had some decent tree/shrub scratches on the trailer from squeezing into a tight camp site, and after using the rubbing compounds and paint sealant, the trailer looks like new. It's not shiny-polished like you see on the vintage units. It's still got it's original-looking satin finish. The scratches weren't thru the clear coat, so they polished out nicely. I did this all by hand, no orbital polisher or anything like that. I can still see where the corrosion spots were; I sealed them with clear nail polish like RobertCross does, but overall the whole thing looks amazing. It's definitely a maintenance thing... I have to keep on top of the corrosion; it's a PITA, but worth the work when it's all said and done.

I hope that helps.

Andy
R2DTube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 07:00 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2011 25' FB Flying Cloud
Anywhere & , Everywhere
Quote:
Originally Posted by rportillo View Post
Hi,
We have the 16' 2007 CCD. Although we were told it was manufactured with the clearcoat and aluminum combination for 2006 and prior years.

The trailer was purchased used and has some pretty bad corrosion problems around some of the seams and tail lights. This is due to the trailer being stored next to the ocean most its life. We were told we should have that sanded out, and then polished and coated with some protective coating. The part we have a problem with is that polishing. I will change the original "brushed" look, to one that is "mirror" like. So we would then polish the whole unit to keep it uniform.

We are not sure if this is the right thing to do for a couple of reasons.

1. It will be polished, and while it looks great on older units, it wouldn't be original on the 2006. We aren't sure if this would lower the value of the unit and if it would look odd for a newer unit to have that look.
2. We actually like the brushed/satin look of the 2006.

Does anyone have opinions or insight on this topic/problem that we have.
It also looks somewhat odd for a older Airstream to be polished since they never left the factory polished.
Al - K4GLU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012, 12:15 PM   #4
4RivetWannabe

2007 16' Bambi
2018 26' Flying Cloud
San Jose , California
Hi Guys,
Thanks for the replies. Based many other posts, my problem is not unique. I guess I feel better that I'm not the only one with the issue. As they say "misery loves company".
Well, I'm on the fence in how to treat. But I'm tempted to just go with a polish and coat, including a roof epoxy so that I won't have to spend as much time attacking and preventing the corrosion that seems destined to continue.
rportillo is offline   Reply With Quote