Old 05-14-2015, 11:13 AM   #1
1 Rivet Member

1959 22' Flying Cloud
Kingwood , Texas
Polishing '59 FC

Hello everyone. I have just acquired a 1959 Flying Cloud and I am getting ready to polish it for the first time. My question is how much strength and integrity is there on the roof of the trailer? What is the best way to approach getting up top to do the work. Is there a method of approaching this job short of renting an entire scaffolding system?

Old 05-14-2015, 12:52 PM   #2

Just use your standard ladder to teach as much as you can. Really it's unnessasary to do the whole roof unless your extremely particular. I just polish everything you can see. Basically up to skylights and air conditioners but not in between. The roof is 9 times out of 10 one of the easiest places to polish on a trailer. I say this having polished over 40 airstreams in the past 2 and a half years. Follow me on Instagram and you can email me for any other questions. @cfdetailing

Collin F. Daniels

Old 05-14-2015, 12:52 PM   #3

Reach*** not teach**
Old 05-14-2015, 01:25 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1964 26' Overlander
Richmond , Virginia
Follow the ribs on the way up. Should be a series of rivets going up and over. those are your load bearing points. Don't go out on the ends - stay off the end caps!

I took a half sheet of 1 inch polystyrene. 1/2 was a cushion for my ladder on the side, and I sat on the other to spread out my weight and prevent me from scractching somethign with my boots.

If you're really worried, just tow it out here to the East Coast and I'll give you a couple grand to take the furrow off your brow... Just kidding - Congrats.
Old 05-14-2015, 09:51 PM   #5
1 Rivet Member

1959 22' Flying Cloud
Kingwood , Texas
Thanks Collin and Rob.
What I had been thinking was to attach a padded flat bridge of sorts to the top of the ladder to spread my weight across more area and structural studs. I'm going to order the polish and should try to see how much I can get done over a three day weekend coming up the first week of June. Wish me luck!