Old 07-26-2013, 10:14 PM   #15
1 Rivet Member
1976 31' Sovereign
Panama City Beach , Florida
Originally Posted by sunny75 View Post
76 Sovereign,
Did you figure out the mystery of the cloudy spots? We're repolishing after a year of use. It seems we are getting more cloudy spots than ever!
Sunny 75
Sunny, So sorry it took so long to reply! Full time trailer living is more busy than I thought! Our Airstream was polished just about a year ago as well. I just went to wash it tonight (first time in months) before i attempt to give it a little extra polishing.

I unfortunately believe that the cloudy spots are where you have burned through the more pure aluminum exterior layer and are now polishing the lower quality aluminum. I have noticeable (to me at least) spots on many places of our Airstream - especially the spots around eye level... where I probably polished the most.

I think at this point there isn't much we can do. I don't think it's possible to really redistribute some of the more pure aluminum atoms over the burned through spots with a very light polishing using large strokes... but maybe?

Either way I'm thinking of taking a 10" random orbit buffing tool (walmart), some aluminum polish, and going after a section once more.

I believe that my first polishing endeavor was a little rushed, which probably led to the problems I have with the cloudy spots. I'll take my time with a very small panel and see if I can't seek that 'perfect shine'.

Take care!

gtbzz85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 08:12 PM   #16
Owner Spirit of "76"
1976 31' Sovereign
Ball Ground , Georgia
Spent a lot of time polishing my 1976. Like you not happy with the results completely. Not as shinny as I wish. Used Jetco products. Worst problem in a place or two overheated the skin and caused dimples.Worse problem as soon as I finished I pulled it to the Georgia coast the salt really worked on all my effort. Live and learn.

A husband is the biggest baby you will have and take the most adult supervision.

Gene and Elaine Thomason
Ball Ground Ga.
1976 31 foot Sovereign
2011 GMC 2500HD Denali
6.6 Duramax Diesel
GAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 09:30 PM   #17
Site Team

1963 26' Overlander
Hollis , New Hampshire
I agree with Melody Ranch, I think it's the tshirt material that's causing the problem, the cyclo should not be producing scratches.... It's also essential in the last stage that the surface is super clean, especially by the rivet heads..I like mineral spirits and go over the surface several times.

As a side note , rags soaked in mineral spirits can spontaneously combust so burn every day or submerge in a bucket of water until you can dispose of them.

Shelly : TAC NH-6 | AIR 41359
Visit my blog!
Parts needed : Braund Antenna front tube fold down model!
reinergirl is offline   Reply With Quote