Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-16-2005, 11:29 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

Norman , Oklahoma
Polishing

Okay, I admit, I don't even have an AS yet. But I do have a question.

Back when I had a fiberglass sailboat, I spent 4 hours a week waxing and polishing everything so it was the slickest looking boat in the harbor. And then went home because I was too exhausted to enjoy sailing. Others spent those 4 hours (and the time I was recouperating) sailing in their chalky-looking boats. I often wonder who had the best time?

I realize the highly polished Airstreams are a wonder to look at, and I'm certain they must really bring praise wherever they travel. But at what cost? Is it just the initial gazillion manhours or is it an ongoing process? Do you clear-coat after the initial polishing process or does one have to polish every 6 months, or year, etc., etc., etc.

And, lastly, if polishing is not chosen, is there a process to re-produce the original soft glow and re-clearcoat the trailer?
Chris C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2005, 11:57 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
2015 27' Flying Cloud
Vintage Kin Owner
Conifer/Evergreen , Colorado
I think it's somewhere in between

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris C
I realize the highly polished Airstreams are a wonder to look at, and I'm certain they must really bring praise wherever they travel. But at what cost? Is it just the initial gazillion manhours or is it an ongoing process? Do you clear-coat after the initial polishing process or does one have to polish every 6 months, or year, etc., etc., etc.

And, lastly, if polishing is not chosen, is there a process to re-produce the original soft glow and re-clearcoat the trailer?
Well, from one polished trailer owner...it's primarily "the gazillion manhours" that it takes to get the 40+ years of oxidation off to begin with. The maintainence time will vary due to different climates & techniques. We have chosen to NOT re-clearcoat the trailer and to re-polish 1 or 2 times a season. This of course only takes 1/80th the time because only 6 months or so of oxidation that is accumulated between re-doing it, not 40 years. Generally it can be accomplished in a weekend and finished off with a coat of NuFinish car wax. Even at the very end of the season, it still looks shiny to all but the most discerning "Airstream Polishing Experts".

BTW, we achieved a Gold Level Merit Award at International this last summer for our trailer...so it must be okay!

This is just my 2-cents...polishing is one of those things that you will get many, many different opinions about. You have to decide which approach is going to work out best for you & your lifestyle.

Shari
WBCCI #1824 - DenCO Unit Past President (2005)
AIR #30 - Join Date: 2-25-2002

RMVAC | ACI - CO Unit (Formerly WBCCI) | BIRDY - our 1956 Safari | 1964 Serro Scotty
InsideOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2005, 12:10 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member

Norman , Oklahoma
Congratulations on the award, Shari. Your trailer is more georgeous than words can describe. No wonder you received the award.

I'm beginning to think it would be nice to not always feel as if I had to head the trailer for cover if a flock of birds flew over. Has anyone had any experience trying to recreate the original AS finish? I'm wondering if one would strip the clear-coat and then use a chemical etching such as they use for aluminum wheels and then re-coat with clear-coat. Anyone with that experience?
Old 11-16-2005, 12:16 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
2015 27' Flying Cloud
Vintage Kin Owner
At the 2004 RM VAC Rally, I saw a trailer that was stripped and lightly sandblasted with walnut shells. It looked very nice! A more even, satin type of finsh...than the mirrored shine of polishing. With chemical etching, I would be concerned with the chemicals deteriorating the sealed seams.

The problem is, with any bare aluminum it WILL start to oxidize again (even before you are finished) getting 'darker' with each passing year. It's kinda like painting the Golden Gate Bridge, never ending.

The only way to prevent that is to clearcoat it with 'something'. then you have the issue of that clearcoat failing from either exposure, imperfections or rock dings, scrathes, etc. It WILL fail to some level sometime...you will then be faced with removing it and starting all over again.

As far as 'bird residue' and road debris, yes $#!+ happens, but if you maintain it a couple times a year with water baths in between, it's not too bad.

Shari

RMVAC | ACI - CO Unit (Formerly WBCCI) | BIRDY - our 1956 Safari | 1964 Serro Scotty
Old 11-16-2005, 12:20 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1966 26' Overlander
Woodstock , Georgia
even small areas take time to maintain if you want a high level of polish. On my AS the bumpers and lower trim are the only stripped of clear coat spots that I keep polished to a reasonable level of shine. there take some work to keep up, but its worth it to have the look you enjoy. I am at nowhere near the level of shine that some (including Shari) have.
AIR #005
Please visit our blogs and web pages:
OUR AIRSTREAM PASSION! BLOG
RESTORING AN AIRSTREAM
retired!
ALANSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2005, 12:22 PM   #6
2 Rivet Member

Norman , Oklahoma
Shari, you should be a salesperson. You are beginning to sound convincing. So even clearcoating a polished finish isn't the end of it, huh?

The tension between what is good enough and what is beyond that creates the space for character to become our work. (Author: Unknown)
Old 11-16-2005, 12:26 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
2015 27' Flying Cloud
Vintage Kin Owner
Like I said...it's just my two cents!

Shari

Old 11-16-2005, 12:41 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1956 16' Bubble
Rose Lodge , Oregon
I'd like to find out more about that walnut stuff. The mirror polish just isn't what I have in mind for the Bambi, but found with my first polishing job that the softer, partial polish just expose the imperfections.
Old 11-16-2005, 12:58 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
2015 27' Flying Cloud
Vintage Kin Owner
The couple that had the walnut-shell sandblasting were from Ohio. Their trailer was a 70's Tradewind or maybe a bit longer. They had the finish done by P&S Trailer in Ohio. I believe it cost about $200 a foot including a clearcoat afterwards. I could be 'off' a little on the cost, I don't have all the details as if I did it myself, I just recall it looked nice.

Shari

Old 11-16-2005, 01:05 PM   #10
2 Rivet Member

Norman , Oklahoma
Summerkid, Shari's right. It's pretty expensive. And you'll still have to clear coat it or keep blasting with shells periodically. (am I learning, Shari? ) Seems to me owning an aluminum trailer is a responsibility or hobby. I'm presently building a teardrop trailer and I'm covering it with aluminum, but it'll have a baked white finish. So the only real upkeep will be washing and ocassional rock chip touch up...........I hope.

The tension between what is good enough and what is beyond that creates the space for character to become our work. (Author: Unknown)
Old 11-16-2005, 01:17 PM   #11
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
2015 27' Flying Cloud
Vintage Kin Owner
Thumbs up Yur doin' good Chris!

I actually remembered I have a picture of the walnut-shell blasted trailer...I was wrong, it's a Safari.

It's owned by Jerry & Barb Burgy, be sure to click on the small image to see more of the trailer.

Shari

Old 11-16-2005, 01:23 PM   #12
2 Rivet Member

Norman , Oklahoma
Shari,

That's a little shinier than I thought it would be. I figured it would be more of a satin finish. Oh well, the more "mirrored" Airstreams I see, the more I like the idea.

Old 11-16-2005, 01:25 PM   #13
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
2015 27' Flying Cloud
Vintage Kin Owner
Well, if you compare it to the Bernander/Thomas trailer in the photo next to it, you can see it's not a mirrored finish. You see reflections but not definition of the things reflected.

It is shiny though...

Shari

Old 11-16-2005, 01:57 PM   #14
2 Rivet Member

Norman , Oklahoma
You're right on both counts. I just didn't think it would be that shiney! My Dad is a jeweler and when he blasts with walnut or pecan shells it ends up a more satin-like finish. I was just assuming based on experience.

Okay then, how does one get a renewed satin finish?

Old 11-16-2005, 02:36 PM   #15
Rivet Master

1956 16' Bubble
Rose Lodge , Oregon
OK, if I did the mirror on the Bambi & then neglected it, would it gradually segue through that softer look for several years?
Old 11-16-2005, 03:12 PM   #16
2 Rivet Member

Norman , Oklahoma
Summerkid, I've no experience with aluminum skinned trailers, but do know that if I highly polish a piece of aluminum and expose it to the elements, it will eventually oxidize and turn dull. Would I call that a satin finish? Nope! It might look satin for one year during the process, but I don't think it would really qualify. I'm beginning to realize the aluminum trailers, such as the AS, are a labor of love and outpouring of money. I think the maintenance could end up being a hobby. Not that that wouldn't be okay for some, but all I really want is a nice place to sleep while I travel. I'm just not sure how to do that yet. Airstreams are mighty attractive so I've got to admit I'm smitten! Just undecided at this point.

Old 01-17-2006, 12:07 PM   #17
Rivet Master

1959 26' Overlander
Western , Massachusetts
another polishing question

Quick polishing question -- thought I'd put it in the newest of many threads.

We have dark streaks on the Globetrotter below lights and vents. See the attached picture for an example.

Is there any way to clean this up without polishing? We're months away from that! Would something like Met-Al work without a lot of streaks?

Thanks,

63GT
Attached Images

65CV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2006, 09:18 PM   #18
Rivet Master

1959 26' Overlander
Putnam , Connecticut
Anyone see this on ebay?
http://cgi.ebay.com/Airstream-Buffin...QQcmdZViewItem
Over59 is offline   Reply With Quote