Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-02-2005, 09:36 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Castaic , California
Unhappy POLISH TEST / And the winner is?

I did a test with Nuvite, Heavy Metal and Southern Shine. Here are the results:

http://www.rikkirockett.com/forums/p.../the_test.html
AirHeadRik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2005, 10:13 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1975 Argosy 26
1963 24' Tradewind
Seattle , Washington
oops,

Just posted on the other post! Oh well. I bought some HM today and a camera last night. Hope to post my pics later too!

P.s - HM's bottle says "no acid or materials that would harm metal contained" so should be safe.

Thanks!
Marc
3Ms75Argosy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2005, 10:17 PM   #3
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Castaic , California
Right on Marc!
Maybe we actually have found a better polish? I look forward to your results. Good luck!
Old 05-02-2005, 10:36 PM   #4

1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
Hey Rikki, great demo. How about details for those of us who haven't been following along too closely. Like what was your technique, and where did you find the Heavy Metal? Bambi's going to look sweet all shined up!

Stefrobrts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2005, 10:54 PM   #5
The Polishing Guru
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Riverside , California
Remember I'm alway's here if you need help or questions, keep up the good work Rikki.
zinbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2005, 12:17 AM   #6
Rivet Master

1975 Argosy 26
1963 24' Tradewind
Seattle , Washington
Zinbar

I've drooled over your Argosy pics for months since Andy posted them. After finding your site and looking over your pics, do you have any hints that you could post that might help us out? Equipement, polish, techniques?

Can you also PM me about that 24ft Argosy (we have a 26ft Argosy)? Specifically, I was curious if your company put the window in the door. I'm thinking about a trip down south this summer, and would LOVE to have a window put in. Any idea on cost and time needed?
Thanks!
Marc
Old 05-03-2005, 07:14 AM   #7
RivetAddict

1986 34.5' Airstream 345
Louisville , Kentucky
Pretty impressive test. I'm glad someone finally did a side by side in a timed test comparison. Results speak for themselves.

Just out of curiosity, it would be interesting to go back and "finish" each section to a final shine using each proposed technique for each polish. Again, timing the process would be critical....knowing how long it takes to go from a good compounding to a "mirror finish" would be they other half of this experiment.

From the pics it does look like the Heavy Metal is closer to a final finish than the others. If their fine polish can deliver a deep mirror finish with similar (or less) of an effort than the others then I think you've found a winner.
swebster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2005, 07:18 AM   #8
Rivet Master

1966 26' Overlander
Woodstock , Georgia
Rikki , funny you would think "Heavy metal" would have been your favorite going in...thanks for taking the time to do the test.
What are you going to seal the Bambi with after its polished?
AIR #005
Please visit our blogs and web pages:
OUR AIRSTREAM PASSION! BLOG
RESTORING AN AIRSTREAM
retired!
ALANSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2005, 08:40 AM   #9
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Castaic , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stefrobrts
Hey Rikki, great demo. How about details for those of us who haven't been following along too closely. Like what was your technique, and where did you find the Heavy Metal? Bambi's going to look sweet all shined up!
Technique wise, I simply used the drill polisher at an angle with medium pressure working my way down. In the past I have also moved sideways if it was more comfortable.
Old 05-03-2005, 08:43 AM   #10
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Castaic , California
It might do that, actually. The Southern Shine has no other grits. (Sounds funny!) I'm not sure what they expect you to do for final polish.

The Nuvite and the Heavy Metal has other grits and I could finish those out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by swebster
Pretty impressive test. I'm glad someone finally did a side by side in a timed test comparison. Results speak for themselves.

Just out of curiosity, it would be interesting to go back and "finish" each section to a final shine using each proposed technique for each polish. Again, timing the process would be critical....knowing how long it takes to go from a good compounding to a "mirror finish" would be they other half of this experiment.

From the pics it does look like the Heavy Metal is closer to a final finish than the others. If their fine polish can deliver a deep mirror finish with similar (or less) of an effort than the others then I think you've found a winner.
Old 05-03-2005, 08:44 AM   #11
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Castaic , California
Would love it if you would post your system. However, I certainly understand if you wouldn't be ok with doing that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zinbar
Remember I'm alway's here if you need help or questions, keep up the good work Rikki.
Old 05-03-2005, 10:15 AM   #12
Rivet Master

1961 22' Safari
Vienna , Virginia
Darn it all, Rickki, you did a very fast polish with that Heavy Metal (isn't it rather ironic that as a musician, you didn't have confidence in "Heavy Metal" at the start, LOL)! Love the time trial effort you put in, all of us appreciate that. But I've never heard of that polish--where did you get it?

Also, I may be thicker than a bar of frame steel--but hadn't you already polished your Bambi?

Mary
Old 05-03-2005, 04:21 PM   #13
2 Rivet Member

So, using this method, how long do you expect it will take to complete the entire trailer. My 29 foot is so big I am a bit scared to get started.
bimi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2005, 04:25 PM   #14
2 Rivet Member

Also, it said heavy metal "course." Are you going to follow up with the heavy metal "ultra fine" or "medium"? Also, how much do you anticipate it will take for the entire trailer? Your demonstration has definitely inspired me.
bimi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2005, 04:39 PM   #15
Rivet Master

1975 Argosy 26
1963 24' Tradewind
Seattle , Washington
Well?,,,,

I started (again - I had to restrip the trailer, as I had a small amount of paint residue on that prevented the polishing to really start) to do my 26ft Argosy TT. I had been using 3m medium grit "perfect polish" before. I bought a bottle of Heavy Metal Red Course grit, as I decided the 3m wasn't cutting enough with some of the really hard stuff up higher on the trailer.

My verdict - I polished 2/3's of the curbside today in 2 hrs. with my Black and Decker 1/2" drill and polishing bonnet. My final system so far. Cut with the Heavy metal (sometimes twice) and then go over it with the 3m stuff.

Observations: The Heavy Metal is great stuff! It cuts SO FAST - BUT (and it's a biggy) - it is a bit labor intensive to use. I can only do about 2ft x 2ft section at a time. I rub it on lightly with a cloth, and then compound over it with my drill. If I spread too much, it dries too quickly, and then it won't come off unless I put a tad more fresh HM over it (really pretty easy, thou). You really don't need to go over it too much, it cuts on the first pass of the drill. It's great for scratches or heavily oxidized stuff. I had multiple scratches from using the scotchbrite on the skin. They're gone like that!

Conversly, the 3m stuff is a dream to use. I put just about two dabs on the aluminum, lightly squeeze the trigger, spread the compound around withthe bonnet, and then compound. The 3m goes much faster then the rub on by hand, follow by the drill routine with the Heavy Metal. (Standing on the ground it's not so bad, but then you have to climb up / down the latter a couple of times to do just a 2x2 section!).

I've come to the conclusion that there are maybe 3 different types of aluminum on the trailer - slightly grained on the sides, totally smooth on the door and front wraps, and a heavy gadge on the rear upper and lower wraps. They all polish a bit differently, but the Argosy is shining.

I do have a small amount of swirls, but according to the Perfect Polish site (and common sense), this is to be expected. I'm going to try the fine grades of Heavy metal and / or 3M (leaning towards the 3m) with a foam bonnet for the finish work.

Camera coming any time between tomorrow and Friday - I'll post pics later!
Marc
Old 05-03-2005, 09:00 PM   #16
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Castaic , California
I agree, it is a bit harder to use and that is the down side. It's runny, that's the dealio right there.

I did a bit more than half with the Nuvite and now I hope to bust out the rest in a few days with the Heavy Metal. we'll see. But, I will have to finish with either the HM Medium or Fine. That will be the final verdict. I may end up doing the final with the Nuvite S. Not sure yet. Maybe I should do some comparisons for the finer grades next?
Old 05-03-2005, 09:07 PM   #17
2 Rivet Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bambi's Dad
It might do that, actually. The Southern Shine has no other grits. (Sounds funny!) I'm not sure what they expect you to do for final polish.

The Nuvite and the Heavy Metal has other grits and I could finish those out.
The SS looks to be made from green rouge- the medium grit. It seems to work well from other posts in the past- and they included photos. The thing I noticed and is used here at the airport as well is that you can adjust the action by changing pads- a 3M soft pad will obviously cut less than the coarse wool. That may be whats necessary to finish up, but I like the green HM on a 3M coarse wool idea, followed by the light blue on a 3M soft pad. Any swirls should probably be dealt with using the foam pads and the ultra fine polish.

If anyone tries this method using the different pads and HM green and white before I do, please send along the results- anxious to get going, but I have hope that someone will guinea pig it for me in advance-
TravelCloud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2005, 09:21 PM   #18

1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
Good job, Marc, I can't wait to see pictures! You'll be blinding us all at the next rally

Stefrobrts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2005, 10:54 AM   #19
2 Rivet Member

Bambi's Dad

Have you finished a large panel with the Heavy Metal yet? Anxious to see what it looks like, and do you plan to use the green after the red, or the blue? It doesn't look scratchy at all, but I know that the red rouge is coarse and there should be some kind of abrasion left from it requiring a finer pass with a soft or foam pad. If not, I'm shocked, and happy that one and done can happen.

Are you able to return the unused nuvite or the cyclo? I have found a place near me that sells the HM for $20 a bottle, and as one testimony said, a 28' trailer was polished using 1 bottle. I'm assuming I'll need 2 just in case, so $40 for polish, $60 for 3M pads, and I'm ready to get going. Now just the time is holding me back.

Speaking of time- do you think that the 3 days of steady hard work can get the trailer shined up and looking good? Based on what your test shows in 3 minutes, and what I've seen others do, if a buffer and the right polish are used, a $100 expense and a 3 day job is a HUGE improvement over the other way.

Oh, and thanks for taking the time to get the truth out there!
TravelCloud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2005, 11:36 AM   #20
Rivet Master

1975 Argosy 26
1963 24' Tradewind
Seattle , Washington
Hm

I'm using the red - it gets shiney, but with the degree of oxidation (even with paint over the aluminum- I'm doing an Argosy) it takes two passes of HM followed by a pass or two of 3m to really get the depth. I'll call it 80% shine right now. I'll be passing with either fine grit perfect-it by 3M, or HM blue. I'm still not sure which.

The HM works fast, but maybe too fast. It dries so quickly, that one can only do a small portion at a time. Even if you could spread it out larger (which I did try), then it dries too quickly to buff off. Once it dries, it takes another application to get it off. I'm done with the curbside for now (heavy cutting), and have 1/3 of a bottle left. I bought it for $9.99 at the local Les Schwab dealer here (tire dealer). The 3m goes a long way. I'm MAYBE 1/2 through my bottle.

I'm also going to try the medium cut 3M that I have with a foam bonnet to see if that's gentle enough for the final pass. I do have some swirls now. If not, I'll get either of the two products mentioned.
Marc