Old 11-11-2008, 12:13 PM   #15
2 Rivet Member

1973 25' Tradewind
New Smyrna Beach , Florida
Just Another Thought!

Would I be out of line to say you sound dull to me?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	102_4590.jpg
Views:	85
Size:	385.3 KB
ID:	71258  

Old 11-11-2008, 12:29 PM   #16
Buffing Supplies
Commercial Member

1967 17' Caravel
1966 24' Tradewind
1961 16' Bambi
Piedmont , South Carolina
A polished trailer makes a classic trailer a classy trailer. Nothing better than a shiny Airstream. I sell Airstream polishing kits and my shiny little Airstream has multiplied my sales. It draws a crowd at shows and any campground I go to. If you don't like the attention you would get then don't polish it.
Using a polished Airstream is also an excellent prop for any type or store or promotion. A dull Airstream just can't be used that way.
And oh yeah, I would hate to follow me down the road in the dark. jestcoproducts.com

Old 11-11-2008, 01:06 PM   #17
Rivet Master

1965 17' Caravel
1983 27' Excella
Walnut Grove/Laguna Woods , California
Send a message via Yahoo to Jim Foster
And...........

You get a great view when you are parked in a beautiful place. [IMG]file:///C:/DOCUME%7E1/LYNN&J%7E1/LOCALS%7E1/Temp/moz-screenshot.jpg[/IMG]
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	PA166212640.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	81.4 KB
ID:	71259  
Old 11-11-2008, 03:34 PM   #18
3 Rivet Member

1957 22' Flying Cloud
Lone Jack , Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ganaraska View Post
Aluminum forms a skin of oxide which is very durable. If you polish it off, it starts oxidizing again. Theoretically years of polishing off the oxide could wear right thru.
It's been a long time since I had any book learnin' but I think that is backwards. When you polish paint, it gradually goes away. As I remember
(and this is not to be bet upon!) polishing aluminum actually rearranges the surface w/out losing material.

All polishing is is flattening a surface so light is reflected evenly. Hence the difference between a rock and a diamond. (Maybe not, depending on where you buy your jewelry, I guess.) Polishing paint knocks off the high points and the material gradually goes away. Polishing aluminum builds the surface w/out removing material.

Disclaimer: I'm operating on memory so be gentle if I'm wrong!

Polish or no polish? I'll let you know when I've spent all my money and have replaced/repaired/refurbished all I have. Then we'll see........
Pop.528

"You better learn it fast; you better learn it young"-John Fogerty
Larry in MO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2008, 03:51 PM   #19
Rivet Master

2014 25' Flying Cloud
Cuddebackville , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by boatdoc View Post
Hi Distantdrummer;
Perhaps I have failed to see the point of your post, but it seems that you are upset with shiny trailers, why?
I didn't take it that way. I just thought he was giving another point of view and throwing out some questions for discussion. We've seen lots of threads about polishing, but I don't recall seeing any about dull.

I think it's kind of humorous. Of course I'm an innocent bystander with a 2007.
Old 11-11-2008, 03:54 PM   #20
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Anna , Illinois
Send a message via Yahoo to overlander64
Polish Not Gang

I took a slightly different track. I used my Overlander in its natural state between 1995 and 2002, but something always nagged at me from distant memories. The flat gray look just didn't fit my memories of the trailer when it was new in 1964. I finally took the trailer to the Ruths (P & S Trailer Service -- Helena, OH) and had them polish it to the original luster. The Ruths Plasticoated the coach at the same time, and the coach still looks fresh and shiny today -- twice annual Walbernize applications keep it looking good. Every time I look at the side driveway and see the coach sitting there, it reminds me of that first camping trip in the coach back in 1964.

The Befor look of the Overlander:

The Overlander today:

Kevin
WBCCI (Lifetime Member)/VAC/Free Wheelers #6359
AIR #827
1964 Overlander International/1999 GMC K2500 Suburban (7400 VORTEC/4.11 Differentials)
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre/1975 Cadillac Eldorado Convertible (8.2 Liter V8/2.70 Final Drive)
overlander64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2008, 04:28 PM   #21
4 Rivet Member

1994 34' Excella
Mount Vernon , Kentucky
I really admire those polished AS's. However, at 34 feet it will be a while before I have the spare time or motivation to polish mine. Perhaps after the kids are grown and can help me (quality family time). I think it's like has been mentioned in previous posts.........to each his own.
Old 11-11-2008, 05:06 PM   #22
Commercial Member

1967 30' Sovereign
Bosque Farms , New Mexico
Attached are my takes on the polish problem. (I'm gettin' hungry.)

Lynn
Old 11-11-2008, 06:43 PM   #23
Rivet Master

1965 17' Caravel
1983 27' Excella
Walnut Grove/Laguna Woods , California
Send a message via Yahoo to Jim Foster
Quote:
Originally Posted by 94Tri View Post
I really admire those polished AS's. However, at 34 feet it will be a while before I have the spare time or motivation to polish mine. Perhaps after the kids are grown and can help me (quality family time). I think it's like has been mentioned in previous posts.........to each his own.
Oh,,,,com on,,,,,,,give it a shot.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	P6272710.JPG
Views:	95
Size:	113.7 KB
ID:	71285  
Old 11-11-2008, 11:22 PM   #24
3 Rivet Member

2007 31' Classic
holland , Pennsylvania
wow,the before and after pictures of these trailers are unbelievable.i much prefer the shiny trailer over the dull worn out look.it appears to me the value that is added from apolishing is well worth the investment.to prove that point just go price what a new trailer costs.even with my o7 i always wash the truck and trailer after a road trip to remove all the tree dirt and road grime.one thing about airstreams,unless you know the brand most people cant tell a new trailer from one that is 20-30 yrs old if it has been properly cared for.
Old 11-12-2008, 07:40 AM   #25
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
reno , NV
I'm intimidated as crap to consider the polishing process. Mainly, I want to camp - and camp A LOT. It would take me a long time to finish the process and figure that it will look better to drag my *unpolished* A/S to the parks than one that is 1/8 polished and looking like a case of leprosy. What 'cha think? When one starts the polishing job - does one wait to finish before traveling? Hummmmmm - guess my repair list is long enough already without worrying about the polishing at this point.

I too took the post as humorous - and I share the same musings. I was surprised to see, in the varied responses, that polishing actually indicates that the trailer is being better cared for than the unpolished ones.
Old 11-12-2008, 09:43 AM   #26
Rivet Master

1962 28' Ambassador
Phoenix , Arizona
Hopefully this weekend

We hope to start our polishing project this weekend. We have purchased the tools and such now just waiting to get started. The weather here is finally cooling down enough to attempt polishing.

We own a rental property that is currently empty awaiting the new tenant in Dec. Perfect place to do some polishing since it is shady and we would likely raise a few eyebrows at our house due to HOA.

I think we will continue to use the trailer even if it is only partially done. Half polished does not look any worse than the black streaks from trees rubbing over the years.

Air #22673
WBCCI# 2731
Four Corners Unit
LHall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2008, 10:51 AM   #27
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
Vintage Kin Owner
Conifer/Evergreen , Colorado
We took the better part of two years to polish ours...

A lot of people will work a section at a time through all the grades of polish. We chose to take it a bit at a time.

Our decision was two fold
1) we were able to spread the expense out by buying the compounder and some of the grades of polish, then save up for the Cyclo and the final stage polish later
2) we thought a more overall look, even if it was "splotchy" or "swirly" was better than "super shiney vs dull" leprosy look in sections.
In mid-summer of 2002 we stripped the clearcoat off. This picture was from when it was stripped, but nothing else. The splotches are from the clearcoat failing over time - the areas where the clearcoat failed first were oxidized more than the later failures were just slightly effected and the sections where the clearcoat was still intact were shiney.

I LOVE the play of light on the oxidation gradations.

In 2003 we compounded. From an artistic POV, the photos are kinda cool - the play of light was kinda psychedelic like a hologram - especially at night. I wish I would have taken more during this phase - played with the effect artistically.

An finally, in the spring of 2004 we cyclo'd.

We camped during our whole restoration process...for rallies, it was fun for our buddies to see the progress each trip. The thing we found kinda cool, is to have the different phases, because once you pass from one to the next, there's no going back. They are snapshots in time. During the process, I didn't take as many "artistic photos" with the oxidation or swirls as I could have because I was kinda embarrassed to "not be done yet". Now I wish I would have taken advantage of those relatively short snapshots in time ~ It'll be polished forever and we can always get the reflection shots - we can't go back in time though to get the oxidation or swirls.

The end result is the goal...how you get there can vary for person to person.

Shari
WBCCI #1824 - DenCO Unit Past President (2005)
AIR #30 - Join Date: 2-25-2002

RMVAC | WBCCI DenCO Unit | Sisters on the Fly | Tin Can Tourists
BIRDY - our 1956 Safari | 1964 Serro Scotty
InsideOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2008, 12:27 PM   #28
1972 Travelux Princess 25

Cobourg , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry in MO View Post
It's been a long time since I had any book learnin' but I think that is backwards. When you polish paint, it gradually goes away. As I remember
(and this is not to be bet upon!) polishing aluminum actually rearranges the surface w/out losing material.

All polishing is is flattening a surface so light is reflected evenly. Hence the difference between a rock and a diamond. (Maybe not, depending on where you buy your jewelry, I guess.) Polishing paint knocks off the high points and the material gradually goes away. Polishing aluminum builds the surface w/out removing material.

Disclaimer: I'm operating on memory so be gentle if I'm wrong!

Polish or no polish? I'll let you know when I've spent all my money and have replaced/repaired/refurbished all I have. Then we'll see........
The oxidised surface is like a self healing paint. When you polish it off, that is what makes the black stuff on the polishing rag same as when you polish paint, the rag turns the color of the paint. You are actually removing the dead paint surface.

If you keep polishing an old car long enough you will polish thru the paint. Or the paint will wear off by weathering.

I was just kidding about an unpolished trailer lasting longer than a polished one. I don't think it makes much difference especially if the polished trailer is waxed or clear coated.

Ha ha Here is an idea. How bout polishing one spot on your trailer then going to all the rallies. Every time someone cracks wise hand them a rag and a can of polish. Let everyone polish one small section. You should be able to get the whole trailer done in a few months!!!!