Old 12-05-2010, 02:00 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

1967 20' Globetrotter
denver , Colorado
Polish During the Winter?

Been thinking of starting the polishing job on an old Globetrotter. Considering using Citristrip to remove the clear coat then attempt to polish the trailer. Will this project be affected by fluctuations in temperatures? I live in Denver and the weather can vary considerably here.

Will the use of the stripping chemicals (removing the clear coat) damage concrete, plants or harm animals?

Any suggestions? InsideOut - I see you used Citristrip - any suggestions?

Thank you.

Old 12-05-2010, 02:37 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1965 28' Ambassador
Irving , Texas
Here is Texas I started stripping the AS in Feb last year.I started with citristrip and finished with Aircraft Stripper which is a lot stronger product.I did notice colder 50-60 it did not work as well .Up around 62 and above it was good.I did paint on and sat for 20 min. then used a nylon brush to breakup the surface,then a garden pressure handle on the hose.Did two runs with citristrip and one with Aircraft Stripper.Just wear a good two stage maske and gloves for what ever you use.

Old 12-05-2010, 03:03 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1969 31' Sovereign
Broken Arrow , Oklahoma
I had the same experience as bwaysteve.

I'm afraid it is more difficult to strip or polish in colder temperatures.

As I remember some days I had to wait for the temperature to go above 60/65 and later in the day you could not work in the direct sun as the temperature on the Airstream skin would be too hot for stripping or polishing (shade or cloud cover was OK on hot days).

I used Aircraft stripper from Auto Zone. Paint on, wait 15 or so min and rinse off.
I suspect it would kill grass and it will melt plastic but don't think it would hurt concrete .
I covered everything I did not want the stripper on with newspaper and was careful how I put it on. I had tried a few other strippers nothing I tried compared to Aircraft Stripper.
If you find an area that does not want to take polish strip it again as some areas will require 2 coats.

It is hard work and will take more than a day or 2 or 3 or......but it is worth it when it is all shined up.

Good luck
Old 12-06-2010, 06:35 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
Vintage Kin Owner
Conifer/Evergreen , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by star kitty View Post
Been thinking of starting the polishing job on an old Globetrotter. Considering using Citristrip to remove the clear coat then attempt to polish the trailer. Will this project be affected by fluctuations in temperatures? I live in Denver and the weather can vary considerably here.
There's no reason you couldn't strip on a "warm" Denver day...as long as you can stand having your hands in water and it's above freezing (in the 40's) there shouldn't be any problem. It does work better in warmer temps - but it'll still work in cooler temps - just take longer.

Polishing in the winter depends on which method & products you are using. Nuvite doesn't do well below about 55 degrees. If you are using tripoli/rouge bars they are fine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by star kitty View Post
Will the use of the stripping chemicals (removing the clear coat) damage concrete, plants or harm animals?

Any suggestions? InsideOut - I see you used Citristrip - any suggestions?

Thank you.
CitriStrip is bio-degradable - it is "safe" for concrete & plants. I would keep animals away from it and I wouldn't recommend eating it or anything (although it smells good enough to eat!), but as far as strippers are concerned it's pretty mild in the toxicity department.

I agree with the others...Aircraft stripper works much better - but it is very toxic.

Shari
WBCCI #1824 - DenCO Unit Past President (2005)
AIR #30 - Join Date: 2-25-2002

RMVAC | WBCCI DenCO Unit | Sisters on the Fly | Tin Can Tourists
BIRDY - our 1956 Safari | 1964 Serro Scotty
InsideOut is offline   Reply With Quote