Old 04-14-2006, 12:18 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1964 28' Ambassador
Natalia , Texas
Question Oxidation ?

My 64 A/S Ambassador that I just purchased has probably spent most of its life sitting in South Texas and has what I thought was some black marks mostly on the rear cap and the roof is also dark. After reading a lot of the post and taking a closer look I now think it is where the clear coat has come off and it's oxidation on the skin (its a very dark grey) because it doesn't wash off.
Is that what it sounds like to those of you more expierienced than me, I've had a A/S about a week now. When I get to doing the exterior does that mean I will need to strip the whole trailer and then do some degree of polish in order to have a clean aluminum exterior?

Have a good week-end.

Bill

Old 04-14-2006, 01:37 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
Vintage Kin Owner
Conifer/Evergreen , Colorado
Oxidation doesn't usually look "black"...it's usually just an overall dullness. I can be splotchy looking if you had clearcoat which was optional on '64s. What you may have is rub marks from a tarp that was applied over the top...that usually leaves more of a black mark and the are usually more linear looking.

Both oxidation &/or rub marks would require polishing or some sort of media blasting to remove. If you can post a picture, maybe we can giveyou a more definitive answer.

If you look at my linked website on the bottom of this post, you will see what oxidation looks like in my "Before" section. We didn't have the black rub marks ~

Shari

WBCCI #1824 - DenCO Unit Past President (2005)
AIR #30 - Join Date: 2-25-2002

RMVAC | WBCCI DenCO Unit | Sisters on the Fly | Tin Can Tourists
BIRDY - our 1956 Safari | 1964 Serro Scotty
InsideOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2006, 08:48 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member

1964 28' Ambassador
Natalia , Texas
Oxidation

Thanks Shari, on the end caps it seems like it is streaks, on the roof itself I won't knon until I get a chance to scrub off the red dust and dirt that has settled up there from where it sat for years. At first I thought it was black steaks like some people get from water running off the roof of thier motorhome, but after looking at it closly it is more a dark grey color and you can't feel anything on the skin of the trailer. On my fiberglass motorhome when the clear coat started coming off it was like someone with a sunburn that was pealing I don't have anything like that with the A/S. I looked at your web page and it Maxwell doesn't look the same. Will try to post a picture but will first have to research to find out how. Right now I am at work so don't know when it will be.

Bill
Old 04-14-2006, 09:31 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Anna , Illinois
Send a message via Yahoo to overlander64
Oxidation ?

Greetings Bill!

Quote:
Originally Posted by wohtex
My 64 A/S Ambassador that I just purchased has probably spent most of its life sitting in South Texas and has what I thought was some black marks mostly on the rear cap and the roof is also dark. After reading a lot of the post and taking a closer look I now think it is where the clear coat has come off and it's oxidation on the skin (its a very dark grey) because it doesn't wash off.
Is that what it sounds like to those of you more expierienced than me, I've had a A/S about a week now. When I get to doing the exterior does that mean I will need to strip the whole trailer and then do some degree of polish in order to have a clean aluminum exterior?

Have a good week-end.

Bill
The photo below is of my '64 Overlander with fairly typical oxidation and Plasticoat failure prior to its polish job at P & S Trailer Service in Helena, OH.

There were a few patches where the Plasticoat was long-gone that had some very dark corrosion, but not any large patches. Is it possible that the black streaking that you are seeing is some kind of tree sap that may have accumulated over time? I hope that you don't find that a your coach's black streaks are the results of a previous owner's failed attempt at refinishing/polishing technique on your coach as happened with mine -- a previous owner had tried to sand a large portion of the curbside and nearly removed the top finish layer of the aluminum creating a problem that was very expensive to correct as it required many hours of shop labor to carefully polish out the deep scratches.

Good luck with your '64!

Kevin
WBCCI (Lifetime Member)/VAC/Free Wheelers #6359
AIR #827
1964 Overlander International/1999 GMC K2500 Suburban (7400 VORTEC/4.11 Differentials)
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre/1975 Cadillac Eldorado Convertible (8.2 Liter V8/2.70 Final Drive)
overlander64 is offline   Reply With Quote