Old 11-06-2005, 07:27 PM   #1
Rivet Master

1975 31' Sovereign
Oxford , Mississippi
Our new 75

Okay we just got home from a 900 mile round trip to pick up our sovereign great and wonderfull trip so here goes the first question of 1000's im sure.
It needs a bath on the outside first and I keep hearing about the Walbernize where do we get it? Also as older models go the clearcoat is coming off in places mostley the top I would love to have it pro. re clear coated but that does not fit in the budget and I just dont have the energy to strip and polish at this time. Like I said it does need a bath and I'm sure it has not had any kind of wax etc in a few years. Also it has been stored in a barn out of the weather but now that it is here it will be outside until we can find something inside.There are no known leaks around the windows at this time should we put somekind of caulk or something around them?

Becky

Old 11-06-2005, 07:36 PM   #2
Naysayer

1968 24' Tradewind
Louisville , earth
Send a message via Yahoo to Boondocker
Dont know anything about walbernizing, but congrats on the new coach

Visit my photography page
and the
Favorite camp grounds project map
My Blog

(The artist formerly known as General Disarray)

Boondocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2005, 07:46 PM   #3
Rivet Monster

1975 31' Sovereign
1980 31' Excella II
Sprung Leak , North Carolina
Hi Becky,
Glad to hear you made it home in one piece I brought one in that was losing pieces all the way home

Don't worry about walbernizeing or clear coating at this point, it is probably a lost cause what you have now is refered to as APB (Airstream Pattern Baldness)...and there is no known cure But if you really want Walbernize stuff it is available from local Airstream Dealers or www.airstream.com look for it in the store. As far as the windows...if you are lucky and no one has used silicone on them, you can clean out the old caulk and reseal with Vulkem, again it is available from several sources, www.airstream.com or www.vintagetrailersupply.com and possibly your local home center or commercial roofing supply house.
I would also re do the plumbing vents ASAP, they will need a rubber gasket and some fiberglass screening to do properly. If you need specfics email or PM me, or run a board search. Another suspect area is around the TV antenna, Air Conditoner, running lights, roof vents, and anywhere else there is a penetration of the skin.

BTW which 75 model did you end up with? And did you get a Service manual with it? If not let me know, I have one and will be glad to provide a scanned copy for you. Us 75 owners need to stick together

Aaron
WBCCI #XXXX AIR #2495
Why are we in this basket...and where are we going
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2005, 07:53 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Anna , Illinois
Send a message via Yahoo to overlander64
Our new 75

Greetings Becky!

Congratulations on the successful excursion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rebel beck
Okay we just got home from a 900 mile round trip to pick up our sovereign great and wonderfull trip so here goes the first question of 1000's im sure.
It needs a bath on the outside first and I keep hearing about the Walbernize where do we get it? Also as older models go the clearcoat is coming off in places mostley the top I would love to have it pro. re clear coated but that does not fit in the budget and I just dont have the energy to strip and polish at this time. Like I said it does need a bath and I'm sure it has not had any kind of wax etc in a few years. Also it has been stored in a barn out of the weather but now that it is here it will be outside until we can find something inside.There are no known leaks around the windows at this time should we put somekind of caulk or something around them?

Becky
When washing your coach, treat it just as you would a modern automobile with a clearcoat finish -- mild soap formulated for automotive finishes followed with plenty of rinse water. Walbernize is available fromnearly every Airstream dealer, or from the Airstream Company Store at:

http://www.airstream.com/shop/dynami...=cat&offset=10

You may find that some of the seams as well as window openings will need some sealer. The one product that you will want to avoid is silicone caulk. The old standby was Vulkem for larger openings or Alco Gutter Seal for seams (Alcoa Gutter Seal can be somewhat difficult to find). Today, Vulkem is still used, but products currently utilized on the new coaches are also being used -- see : http://www.airstream.com/shop/dynami...=cat&offset=10 and http://www.airstream.com/shop/dynami...=cat&offset=15 .

Good luck with your coach!

Kevin
WBCCI (Lifetime Member)/VAC/Free Wheelers #6359
AIR #827
1964 Overlander International/1999 GMC K2500 Suburban (7400 VORTEC/4.11 Differentials)
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre/1975 Cadillac Eldorado Convertible (8.2 Liter V8/2.70 Final Drive)
overlander64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2005, 11:16 PM   #5
Rivet Master

San Angelo , Texas
If you do decide to get it re-clearcoated, I hear the boys at P&S Trailers do an awesome job..... http://www.pandstrailerservice.com/

Frederic

2004 F-350 King Ranch

AIR # 8239
EX-WBCCI # 8371
StingrayL82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2005, 03:55 PM   #6
Site Team

1975 25' Tradewind
Dewey , Arizona
Congradulations on the trailer. 75 was a great year!

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is offline   Reply With Quote