Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-28-2013, 05:35 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

1961 16' Bambi
Malden , Missouri
Opinions/Ideas about humidity

I've been polishing my AS, and I'm wanting to keep it from needing a re-polish for as long as possible. I keep it stored indoors at a friend's place, which works really well for me, except for the humidity factor. I happened to stop by one day "to check on him" and I was sickened to see my beautiful shine COVERED with moisture.

I know that ideally, I'd wipe it down every time that happened, but because it's not in my backyard (and I'm still employed full-time), I'm trying to figure out a way to stop the moisture on its surface.

It's in a gargantuan building, but do you think a humidifier sitting next to the AS would make a difference?

Would an RV cover do the trick?

Anyone have any successful solution or wild idea that might work?

Or am I simply being over-protective of my Bambi?
ragin-cajun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 05:48 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1994 30' Excella
Mississauga , Ontario
If you keep the skin of the trailer warmer than the surrounding air you should not get any condensation on it. But that is an expensive exercise.
Al

TAC ON-3
BigAl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 08:30 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member

1966 26' Overlander
Frozen , Tundra
how about just running a tiny possibly even solar powered fan to ventilate the interior of the AS so that the interior temp. is kept at exterior temps ? The condensation is happening when your AS exhibits a thermal flywheel effect, the insulation thin as it may be is allowing the temps to slowly rise or fall to enough of a difference from outside air that water condenses on the surface of the AS. So even without heat if you keep outside and inside temps equal no condensation should occur (in theory, nature doesn't always cooperate with theory though)
alumascoupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 08:50 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 20
2014 20' Flying Cloud
Kooskia , Idaho
If you are able to put some heat in the AS (like an electric heater) and maybe pay the friend for the power, the exterior of the AS will not become cool enough to have condensation on it inside the building. What is happening now is that the AS is becoming cool to cold and when a warmer day occurs the interior building moisture (which must be high) causes condensation to occur on the cold trailer, until the trailer warms up. At that point, it should self dry due to evaporation. This is sort of like condensation on a cold drink glass. Eventually the ice melts, the glass stops condensing any more water and will even self dry.

But, this cycle can happen over and over during a season of storage. The AS gets cold, the building then rapidly warms (lets say in the sun) the relative humidity increases rapidly (dew point goes up) and condensation occurs on cold things inside the building. By heating the trailer and not allowing the skin to get very cold, it will remain above the dew point of the air in the building and no condensation will happen.

I think it would be difficult to have the trailer ventilated well enough and fast enough to have it warm up naturally faster than the building temp and humidity go up. But, I could be wrong on that. Ventilation may keep it from becoming a cold surface in a warmer, high humidity building, but I am not confident that it would.
idroba is offline   Reply With Quote