Old 04-21-2004, 07:56 AM   #15
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
BTW, when I say Armor All cleaner, I meant Armor All Car Wash solution!

Old 04-21-2004, 08:49 AM   #16
Rivet Master

1966 26' Overlander
Woodstock , Georgia
I have used the Armor all for over a year...my washing was cut down considerably though when I added the vinyl car port, and used the Liquid Glass treatment last summer. Armor all cost like 3 bucks a big bottle and takes a few small splashes to fill a bucket. Seems like a better deal to me than the new Mr Clean stuff. Even with a chamois thrown in.

AIR #005
Please visit our blogs and web pages:
OUR AIRSTREAM PASSION! BLOG
RESTORING AN AIRSTREAM
Our AIRSTREAM and TIN CAN TOURIST Rallys
ALANSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2004, 07:44 AM   #17
2 Rivet Member

I have used the Mr. Clean system on my dark blue Excursion and it works exactly as advertised. The soap that comes with the system does a good job of getting the road grime off the truck - I was amazed how dirty the wash mitt became as I used it.

It also gets the diesel exhaust "funk" off the rocker panel and the rear bumper near the tail pipe - in the past I had to use a more agressive cleaner on those areas to get them clean.

I'm still on the starter kit that is supposed to be good for three uses, but I believe the refill kits have water filters that are good for 10 washes, so the refill cost isn't as bad as it first appears.
Old 04-24-2004, 08:17 AM   #18
3 Rivet Member

May not work for all-

-I can honestly say that this was a waste of time. I threw mine in the trash and chalked it up in the "why did I believe that one" category.

In the marina where I keep my yacht, we have several "real" water softeners, and also a few folks have gone and purchased portable water softeners. The difference is what they call "contact time" and the speed of washing doesn't allow hard water to become soft when passing through such a small chamber.

The portable ones are expensive- $700 for the ones that have a 12 year warranty. Less expensive and smaller ones didn't work for most who bought the West Marine El Cheepie version. I'm about to invest in 2 of the better ones- they're 3' long and 6-7" in D. 1 for the boat and 1 for the trailers/cars/aircraft/cycles.

I was stupid, bought one of the Mr Cleans thinking it would be OK for a car, but unless the water is dribbled through it- forget it in a hard water situation.

The soap may help if its loaded with phosphates. I prefer to avoid that with our environemental issues.

I also know from washing my boat that the sun intensifies the aggression of the hard minerals, so we always schedule washing it in the late afternoon, or the early AM- at sunrise is best.
Old 04-24-2004, 09:07 AM   #19
Cartoon Character

2004 34' Classic
On The Road , U.S.A.
Very interesting that folks are getting mixed results from this product. Same thing over at TheDieselStop forum. Some hate it ... some love it. Go figure.

TrailerGypsies.com
WBCCI #3405 — Escapees #80360

I live the life I love and I love the life I live.
-- Willie Dixon
Porky Pig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2004, 11:04 AM   #20
Rivet Master

1963 24' Tradewind
Highland , Illinois
Relative humidity?

I am beginning to wonder if humidity isn't a factor in the success of these things. I live in an area where the humidity is generally high. If you've been to St. Louis, you know what I mean.
Old 04-24-2004, 11:16 AM   #21
uwe

2007 25' Safari FB SE
1958 22' Flying Cloud
1974 29' Ambassador
Yucca Valley , California
Send a message via Skype™ to uwe
OK, so I went and bought one last night. We had rain last week, so now I have 2 black cars, and a silver suburban to wash. I figured they offer a full guarantee, plus it costs about the same as a hand car wash, a coffee, plus tip for the employee would cost.
i am going to try it later and post my findings. They are pretty specific on using their soap only, and it does say that spotting occurs when the filter is exhausted, right on the housing.
It comes with a 3-use filter and a little bottle of soap. Tells me where they'regoing with it - make the money on the soap and filters. ( de-ionizing filters)
If it works, then I don't care about that, black cars and hard water are a bad combination, if you wash yourself. My real hope is that it will work on the Airstream later this week.
Old 04-24-2004, 08:11 PM   #22
uwe

2007 25' Safari FB SE
1958 22' Flying Cloud
1974 29' Ambassador
OK, done the Suburban and one of the cars. Suburban is Silver, has black windows, car is black with clear windows. Paint in excellent condition, wax about 1-2 onth old, maximum, newer on the car's hood.
72 degrees outside, full shade in my driveway.
The Suburban came out looking so-so. I took my time and did as they direct it in the manual. It's not spotty, but more streaky, and it does not have that freshly washed look to it.
The black car looks like crap after washing it. I don't know how else to say it.
It's not for people like me that like really clean cars and trucks.
I guess it would be ok for a quick car wash inbetween, or if it's rainy and muddy where you live.
For me, it's like millionairstream says; a waste of time. It's going back for a refund tomorrow.
Old 04-24-2004, 10:36 PM   #23
3 Rivet Member

Glad I'm not alone-

-on thinking it was junk.
A call to US Filter explains it all. It is the size and speed factor and the "contact time" being insufficient by quite a lot.

The idea that I have from speaking to them is that I will need to get the nicer portable to receive good soft water, free from calcium, iron, and lime. Even the smaller West Marine models don't appear to have the proper amount of media to soften water.

The other interesting benefit that I learned is that all my dock neighbors who have these fill their tanks and wash clothes, dishes, and take showers with the softened water. No scale on the shower stalls and nice soft water to bathe in- they say its an additional perk thats really pleasant.

The other important point, according to US Filter, is that these nicer portables are rechargable and it costs less than $1 a month in rock salt to maintain it for a 60-70 foot boat. That tells me that my trailer will use $1 every 6 months.

Cliff
Old 05-21-2004, 01:23 PM   #24
uwe

2007 25' Safari FB SE
1958 22' Flying Cloud
1974 29' Ambassador
Check this out:
I called the Mr. Clean number for a refund. It's the customer service number inside the little user's manual.
They are sending back the full purchase price, and don't even want the unit back.
No hassles from this company. So, even though the product did not perform for me, at least their customer service is great.
Old 05-21-2004, 03:53 PM   #25
Rivet Master

2001 34' Limited
The State of , Ohio
Our water is VERY hard. I washed my bike with it and regretted it. It had to be wiped down and soaked with vinegar and rinsed with distilled water to get the waterspots off.

We bought a Mr. Clean starter set with a coupon, and tried it with the unsoftened outside faucet on the boat. Worked like a champ! There must be something in the soap, because most of our rinsing was done with the water passing straight through the Mr. Clean, but a final rinse was done through the filter. No water spots at all.

The Mr. Clean soap wasn't quite strong enough to get the fiberglas non-skid clean, so we used a little hand dishwashing detergent and that did it.

We bought a bottle of the soap and one of the 10 wash filters to do the Airstream. May try it Sunday if it's cloudy.

Our results were more like Porky's.
Old 05-21-2004, 10:23 PM   #26
Arr, we captain our ship!

Currently Looking...
Santa Fe , New Mexico
I bought the Mr Clean thingy, two additional water filters and more soap for it after using the trial supplies to GREAT success.

It works TERRIFIC, IMHO, after using a towel to dry down the car/trailer afterwards... Our water is hard, too. Without it, my at home washes are a disaster.

And, it is easy.

X
Old 05-22-2004, 12:55 PM   #27
Cartoon Character

2004 34' Classic
On The Road , U.S.A.
Right now we are camping at Abrams Lake in Mount Shasta ... the owner told me that we are on "spring water" ... so it should be pretty soft to begin with. At least it tastes pretty good!

The trailer is pretty dusty right now ... so I'm gonna see if they'll let me do a wash at my site ... which is usually a no-no at most places.

I would like to try my Mr. Clean again ... see if the reults are the same

TrailerGypsies.com
WBCCI #3405 — Escapees #80360

I live the life I love and I love the life I live.
-- Willie Dixon
Porky Pig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2005, 10:43 AM   #28
Patriotic

1973 23' Safari
North of Boston , Massachusetts
Update

Got one of these units for my birthday, and finally got a chance to try it out over the weekend on my dark blue truck. I thought it worked great.

I didn't get a chance to try it on the airstream, yet. its currently parked under trees that are going to continuously litter it w/ oak and pine pollen for the next couple of weeks, so I may just hold off. but I was impressed with the job it did on the truck. particularly the mirrors. no spots/no streaks.

Porky: I don't know what they mean by "spring water", but my water comes from a well...it has plenty of calcium and iron in it. Cars and trailers come out spotty if you don't dry them.

'00 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4 QC
Chuck is online now   Reply With Quote