Old 04-14-2014, 08:39 AM   #1
3 Rivet Member
1959 24' Tradewind
Quantico , Virginia
Nuvite vs Jestco

Hi all,

I decided this year to try the Jestco polishing bars and buffing wheel as opposed to the Nuvite paste and Wool Bonnet that I used last year.

I gave it a go yesterday and was not impressed. Every video I've seen online shows the buffing wheel tearing through a layer of gray corrosion to reveal a mirror shine.

Any tips on RPM, amount of bar to use, pressure, etc. I'd like to get this to work but think I am doing something wrong.

steveirving is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2014, 10:35 AM   #2
4 Rivet Member
1962 24' Tradewind
Buffalo , Wyoming
I run about 3000 RPM in the wide open spaces. I slow it down when close to trim or lips or anything that the wheel can grab. I don't put much pressure on it, probably little more than the weight of the polisher. I found that new wheels don't cut as well as ones that have been used for a while. Its worked well for me.

Thalweg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2014, 11:44 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1956 22' Flying Cloud
1953 32' Liner
1955 22' Safari
Valley View , Texas
Send a message via Skype™ to Melody Ranch
Don't start with a wool bonnet with a bar. Use the Jetsco wheel type. Then come back with the bonnet and finish white bar. Actually, the finish up with nuvite and a Cyclo is the best....Jetsco gets it to that point. I start mine this week.
"If it can't be reduced, reused, repaired, rebuilt, refurbished, refinished, resold, recycled or composted
then it should be restricted, redesigned or removed from production."
Melody Ranch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2014, 08:03 PM   #4
4 Rivet Member
1964 22' Safari
1962 28' Ambassador
enosburg , Vermont
For edge wheels. RPM slow, <1200 if you can. Pressure, very little, weight of the buffer is enough. Too much pressure or RPM builds excessive heat w/o improved results. Some very common problems are, a "loaded wheel" the wheel is packed/glazed with alum & compound, happens quite fast with too much pressure & RPM. Edge wheels must be cleaned more often than flat pads but they are easier/quicker. You can buy a cleaning wheel or rake for 10ish bucks. On the edge wheel and bar system you need to match them. Take a look here to get an idea .Any whey its done I'd rather get a root cannel!!
putback is offline   Reply With Quote