Old 06-15-2014, 07:54 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

Nuvite question

When using Nuvite, after the first cut/polish, do you clean with mineral spirits before you move to the next section/area? Or do you wait until you have finished the entire trailer? Or do we clean it with something else? We did our first cut on a small area, then moved to the second step and noticed a lot of black was still coming off on the new pads, leaving black streaks and spots everywhere... So we cleaned the area with mineral spirits and tried it again and it seamed to work out better...but I'm not sure if this is the correct method. Thank you!

Old 06-15-2014, 07:58 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1964 17' Bambi II
Vintage Kin Owner
Schererville , Indiana
I always use mineral spirits between grades of polish. I use VIVA paper towels to wipe it off. Pay special attention to the rivets, as a lot of residue hangs on there. You should clean between grades, because, if you don't, you'll continue to have the previous grit on there & won't make any progress. You will always have black coming off, no matter which grade you use. You'll have black right up until the last grade (S) & will have it when you wax. It's the raw aluminum that lets it off. If you don't have black, you still have clear coat on your aluminum. Hope this helps you out :-)

1964 Bambi II
1984 Avion 30P
beckybillrae is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2014, 08:00 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1978 29' Ambassador
1974 25' Tradewind
1974 27' Overlander
Indiana , Pennsylvania
Shawnna...sound like you are doing it the way we do. We buff an area about 2' square then wipe with mineral spirits. I also use the cleaning wheel on the pad as well...that way I'm starting with an unclogged pad and on a panel clear of polish that has been broken down. I suppose you could do a bigger section, or your whole trailer but then you would want to wipe down with mineral spirits before going to second coat. Also change your pads when changing from one grit polish to another.

Bob
Indiana, PA

TAC PA-5
WBCCI 4871
Old 06-16-2014, 08:56 PM   #4
2 Rivet Member

Outstanding!!! Thank you both so much!