Old 08-01-2007, 06:10 PM   #29
1 Rivet Member

1977 31' Sovereign
Lakeland , Florida
Thumbs up

I appreciate it, snight. I'll check it out!!!

Justin.

Old 08-03-2007, 03:41 PM   #30

1983 34' Excella
Ashland , Virginia
James- what did you use to strip the clear coat- sounds like that was an easy job for you? Also, someone told me our AS has a matt finish, it is an 83 or 85 (need to check on that). I was told after a certain year, AS were matt, not the true shiny alluminum. What finish was yours? Yes, I am very new to this...can you tell!!?? But, my kids really want to get this thing up and out camping, so I'm trying. - Michele

Old 08-03-2007, 07:59 PM   #31
1 Rivet Member

1977 31' Sovereign
Lakeland , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terrapin
James- what did you use to strip the clear coat- sounds like that was an easy job for you? Also, someone told me our AS has a matt finish, it is an 83 or 85 (need to check on that). I was told after a certain year, AS were matt, not the true shiny alluminum. What finish was yours? Yes, I am very new to this...can you tell!!?? But, my kids really want to get this thing up and out camping, so I'm trying. - Michele

I am certainly not a professional by any means, but I was just in our local AS dealer last week gathering info and we stumbled onto the subject of the aluminum. The stuff used in the '82 & earlier rigs is an alclad aluminum of .032 thickness, and '83 & later up to at least '99 is .040 thick. It is a softer metal, and can be polished but I have been told not to a very fine mirror finish like the earlier trailers. '99 and newer rigs come from Alcoa with coating on it, taking the plasticoating completely out of factory. I used aircraft remover from a auto paint supplier an it seems to be working well. WATCH OUT, that stuff is nasty! Hope I have been some help!!!
Old 08-06-2007, 03:32 PM   #32

1983 34' Excella
Ashland , Virginia
Thanks so much for the info. Yes, I called a dealer and they as well gave me the same info about the AS years and difference in aluminum thickness and shine. I was told mine can be buffed but won't get the shine as the earlier models. Well, off to order some stuff to get busy!