Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-01-2007, 04:34 PM   #21
Rivet Master

1955 22' Safari
Currently Looking...
Great Lake State , .
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsflint
Well I have been polishing for the last couple of weeks when I can and It seems to be really difficult. Not that I didn't think it would but I think maybe I should be using a coarser grade. Using F7 now but it is taking 3 passes over the same small 2'x2' area to get a shine and I don't mean a mirror either. I have used about 1/3 of the one pound can of nuvite. Any input is appreciated.
James
Looking good, figure about 8 hr's per lineal foot. I used "C" with the compounding wheel, it took about 3 passes to bring a shine. Than I used
"F7" with the Cyclo Orbital polisher with wraps, than to "S" using the Cyclo with wraps...........
toastie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2007, 05:17 PM   #22
3 Rivet Member

1973 23' Safari
Maryville , Tennessee
Looking great!
kneal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2007, 11:44 AM   #23
Buffing Supplies
Commercial Member

1967 17' Caravel
1966 24' Tradewind
1961 16' Bambi
Piedmont , South Carolina
Buffing the aluminum Worthington tanks.

It took me longer to read the comments on polishing the tanks than it took to polish them. Jestco Products Buffing Supply sells an aluminum buffing kit #787 which can be used with a right angle grinder to polish the tanks like a mirror. This kit also comes with the abrasive needed to remove the deep scratches from the factory. They also have grinder adapter if needed. the tanks are very light and I was also to do most of the job by holding the tanks to a bench grinder. The Airstream kit is also a big time saver. Best Regards.
Buffing Kits from JestcoProducts.com
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	dsc09278.jpg
Views:	136
Size:	37.1 KB
ID:	37645  
Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2007, 05:40 PM   #24

Joliet , Illinois
Has anyone tried to wetsand the panels before you polish them? On our sleds we wetsand the tunnels with 1000 ,1500, and 2000 grit, then polish. It seems to help remove scratches and the shine seems be better and to last longer. I have never polished an As, so I was wondering.
sixshooter44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2007, 11:25 AM   #25
1 Rivet Member

1977 31' Sovereign
Lakeland , Florida
Cool How much did you use?

I was just wondering jsflint, how much removal and nuvite was used? Did you try for a mirror and use nuvite s? I'm just trying to get all my ducks in a row so I dont have to wait on anything after I get started!
77airstream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2007, 12:28 PM   #26
4 Rivet Member

1970 27' Overlander
Houston , Texas
[I was just wondering jsflint, how much removal and nuvite was used? Did you try for a mirror and use nuvite s? I'm just trying to get all my ducks in a row so I dont have to wait on anything after I get started!]

You may be able to get by with one gallon of removal, I was pretty sloppy with it so I will need to order more but will use about 1/2 to finish. I am using F7 which takes about 3 passes for a nice shine then I plan on using Fine for the final polish with annual polishing in the future. I have stopped polishing for now, working on other projects now. I believe I found my last leak to. . . since it has rained every day practically all summer down here is Houston.
good luck
James
Old 07-31-2007, 09:26 AM   #27
1 Rivet Member

1977 31' Sovereign
Lakeland , Florida
Thumbs up Thanks!

Jsflint, Thanks for the quick reply, keep me posted as I will do the same as well. As soon as I can, I will post some pics. I cant wait to get started, I've been looking at this thing deteriorate for some 20 years or so!

Thanks, 77airstream.
Old 08-01-2007, 04:48 PM   #28
THIS OLD TRAILER

1969 27' Overlander
Young Harris , Georgia
polishing with nuvite

If you want to learn Airstream polishing/restoration
using Nuvite. You can SEE it done step by step
using the "This Old Trailer DVD" simply go to
www.sloanmotion.com and click on dvd polishing guide.
George Sloan
69 Overlander
PolisherGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2007, 05:10 PM   #29
1 Rivet Member

1977 31' Sovereign
Lakeland , Florida
Thumbs up

I appreciate it, snight. I'll check it out!!!

Justin.
Old 08-03-2007, 02:41 PM   #30

1983 34' Excella
Ashland , Virginia
James- what did you use to strip the clear coat- sounds like that was an easy job for you? Also, someone told me our AS has a matt finish, it is an 83 or 85 (need to check on that). I was told after a certain year, AS were matt, not the true shiny alluminum. What finish was yours? Yes, I am very new to this...can you tell!!?? But, my kids really want to get this thing up and out camping, so I'm trying. - Michele
Terrapin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2007, 06:59 PM   #31
1 Rivet Member

1977 31' Sovereign
Lakeland , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terrapin
James- what did you use to strip the clear coat- sounds like that was an easy job for you? Also, someone told me our AS has a matt finish, it is an 83 or 85 (need to check on that). I was told after a certain year, AS were matt, not the true shiny alluminum. What finish was yours? Yes, I am very new to this...can you tell!!?? But, my kids really want to get this thing up and out camping, so I'm trying. - Michele

I am certainly not a professional by any means, but I was just in our local AS dealer last week gathering info and we stumbled onto the subject of the aluminum. The stuff used in the '82 & earlier rigs is an alclad aluminum of .032 thickness, and '83 & later up to at least '99 is .040 thick. It is a softer metal, and can be polished but I have been told not to a very fine mirror finish like the earlier trailers. '99 and newer rigs come from Alcoa with coating on it, taking the plasticoating completely out of factory. I used aircraft remover from a auto paint supplier an it seems to be working well. WATCH OUT, that stuff is nasty! Hope I have been some help!!!
Old 08-06-2007, 02:32 PM   #32

1983 34' Excella
Ashland , Virginia
Thanks so much for the info. Yes, I called a dealer and they as well gave me the same info about the AS years and difference in aluminum thickness and shine. I was told mine can be buffed but won't get the shine as the earlier models. Well, off to order some stuff to get busy!
Terrapin is offline   Reply With Quote