Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Exterior Restoration Forum > Cleaning, Stripping & Polishing
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-13-2011, 06:02 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1969 27' Overlander
Vestavia , Alabama
Numbers have etched the aluminum?

I am preparing to polish our 70 overlander and removed the plastic/vinyl part of the WB numbers with airplane paint stripper, however it appears that the adhesive used for the numbers has somehow etched into the aluminum? Is that possible?

If anyone has had successful experience with this I would love to know. Thank you in advance
Aubiexx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011, 07:22 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
2015 27' Flying Cloud
Vintage Kin Owner
Conifer/Evergreen , Colorado
Yes, it unfortunately is possible. Sometimes this can be removed by polishing...but oftentimes they can still be seen. If you are going to replace the numbers, the new numbers can help hide the "ghosts" too. If you aren't a member and want to become one you can also check with the main office to see it the same number is available for you to use.

Shari
WBCCI #1824 - DenCO Unit Past President (2005)
AIR #30 - Join Date: 2-25-2002

RMVAC | ACI - CO Unit (Formerly WBCCI) | BIRDY - our 1956 Safari | 1964 Serro Scotty
InsideOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011, 07:59 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1988 25' Excella
1987 32' Excella
Knoxville , Tennessee
Yeah, the numbers change the color of the aluminum. It can be polished out with a big cyclone polisher, but then do you really want to pay 10 grand to do the whole trailer or to have a bright spot at each end? I cleaned mine off best I could and put the new numbers on. Obvious that there were numbers before. Have you tried taking the numbers off yet? That can be a daunting job in itself.
Bill M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011, 08:01 AM   #4
3 Rivet Member

1972 27' Overlander
Venice , Florida
You may be able to get rid of the ghosts if you sand that whole section down with 1000 or 2000 grit wet sandpaper and then polishing. I have gotten water etched spots out of aluminum sheets this way at work.
Old 07-13-2011, 08:07 AM   #5

1972 25' Tradewind
Hammond , Louisiana
I took a heat gun and put it on low, then moved the gun slowly around one number at a time.. do not keep the gun in one spot.. peeled off in a matter of seconds..

Jane
Janie Q is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 09:06 AM   #6
2 Rivet Member

1969 27' Overlander
Vestavia , Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by DougZ View Post
You may be able to get rid of the ghosts if you sand that whole section down with 1000 or 2000 grit wet sandpaper and then polishing. I have gotten water etched spots out of aluminum sheets this way at work.
Thank you for the insight. I will get on that this weekend and post my results, hope to have before/after pics.
Old 07-14-2011, 12:14 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
2015 27' Flying Cloud
Vintage Kin Owner
Conifer/Evergreen , Colorado
Quote:
...if you sand that whole section down with 1000 or 2000 grit wet sandpaper...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aubiexx View Post
Thank you for the insight. I will get on that this weekend and post my results, hope to have before/after pics.
Careful you don't sand through the Alclad...that is not repairable - w/o replacing the skin.

Shari
WBCCI #1824 - DenCO Unit Past President (2005)
AIR #30 - Join Date: 2-25-2002

RMVAC | ACI - CO Unit (Formerly WBCCI) | BIRDY - our 1956 Safari | 1964 Serro Scotty
InsideOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2011, 04:36 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1966 26' Overlander
Woodstock , Georgia
question on the sanding- I am doing that to remove some corrosion. Use a sanding block, or hand sand or? Thanks
I have 600 grit up to 1500 to use for wet sanding as needed.
AIR #005
Please visit our blogs and web pages:
OUR AIRSTREAM PASSION! BLOG
RESTORING AN AIRSTREAM
retired!
ALANSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2011, 05:12 PM   #9
Rivet Master

Airstream - Other
2016 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Bosque Farms , New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by InsideOut View Post
... If you aren't a member and want to become one you can also check with the main office to see it the same number is available for you to use. Shari
Exactly what we did! A perfect way to hide the etching -- and we get to enjoy our membership to boot!

Lynn
Old 07-15-2011, 06:24 PM   #10
3 Rivet Member

1972 27' Overlander
Venice , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by InsideOut View Post
Careful you don't sand through the Alclad...that is not repairable - w/o replacing the skin.

Shari
Shari, I don't pretend to be an expert on the finish, but I think the only place that any Chromate may be left on this vintage AS might be under the numbers. The rest will probably be weathered away. The finishes on aluminum are fragile to say the least. Anodized aluminum can be compromized in just a couple of years in the right atmosphere. I'm sure there are experts that will weigh in.

doug
Old 07-15-2011, 07:58 PM   #11
Rivet Master

Southwestern , Ohio
Quote:
Shari, I don't pretend to be an expert on the finish, but I think the only place that any Chromate may be left on this vintage AS might be under the numbers. The rest will probably be weathered away. The finishes on aluminum are fragile to say the least. Anodized aluminum can be compromized in just a couple of years in the right atmosphere. I'm sure there are experts that will weigh in.
Whoa! Airstream trailers were never anodized except for Wally's gold anodized trailer, which is now badly faded and not repairable except to replace the skin.

When Sheri referred to sanding through the Alclad, she was referring to the fact that prior to the early 80's the Airstream skin was made of Alclad aircraft-grade aluminum, consisting of a sheet of high strength alloy (2024-T3, I believe) with a .005 inch thick layer of pure aluminum bonded on the outer surface. This thin layer of pure aluminum is more corrosion resistant than the alloy underneath, and takes a beautiful polish. But you can polish right through it, if you're not careful with coarse abrasives.
Nuvite-F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2011, 08:02 PM   #12
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
Currently Looking...
Jupiter , Florida
I used an aerosol spray-on gasket remover - melted the numbers away, now have perfect aluminum ONLY where the numbers used to be
Old 07-15-2011, 08:30 PM   #13
3 Rivet Member

1972 27' Overlander
Venice , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuvite-F View Post
Whoa! Airstream trailers were never anodized except for Wally's gold anodized trailer, which is now badly faded and not repairable except to replace the skin.

When Sheri referred to sanding through the Alclad, she was referring to the fact that prior to the early 80's the Airstream skin was made of Alclad aircraft-grade aluminum, consisting of a sheet of high strength alloy (2024-T3, I believe) with a .005 inch thick layer of pure aluminum bonded on the outer surface. This thin layer of pure aluminum is more corrosion resistant than the alloy underneath, and takes a beautiful polish. But you can polish right through it, if you're not careful with coarse abrasives.
I wasn't trying to say that AS are or were anodized. I was using anodize as the ultimate protection of aluminum and anyone who owns a boat knows even anodize doesn't hold up against salt or other environmental attacks. 40 years of sun, snow, washing, salt or what ever are going to take their toll on the finish. According to Wikipedia Alclad is: "a heat-treated aluminum, copper, manganese, magnesium alloy that has the corrosion resistance of pure metal at the surface and the strength of the strong alloy underneath." My theory is that if the Alclad was still intact, there would be no evidence of the numbers once they were removed. Remember - this is just my theory, so don't go hoggin' into the aluminum with a grinder.
Old 07-15-2011, 08:57 PM   #14
Rivet Master

Southwestern , Ohio
Quote:
My theory is that if the Alclad was still intact, there would be no evidence of the numbers once they were removed. Remember - this is just my theory, so don't go hoggin' into the aluminum with a grinder.
No, it's probably intact. Pure aluminum is more corrosion resistant than the underlying alloy, but not infinitely so. Most old trailers have ghosts of the old numbers on them. The other thing you will discover when you start polishing is that each sheet of aluminum is a little different, and at least on the one trailer I polished, the compound curved panels of the end shells seem to have "stretch marks" that are hard to polish out.

Good luck!
Old 07-16-2011, 01:39 PM   #15
3 Rivet Member

1972 27' Overlander
Venice , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuvite-F View Post
No, it's probably intact. Pure aluminum is more corrosion resistant than the underlying alloy, but not infinitely so. Most old trailers have ghosts of the old numbers on them. The other thing you will discover when you start polishing is that each sheet of aluminum is a little different, and at least on the one trailer I polished, the compound curved panels of the end shells seem to have "stretch marks" that are hard to polish out.

Good luck!
What do your stretch marks look like? I looked on mine (which has not been buffed) and couldn't find anything. This aluminum thing is getting complicated.
Old 07-17-2011, 06:52 AM   #16
Restorations done right
Commercial Member

1962 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Baltimore , Maryland
I think this may have already been said, but the numbers do not cause any damage to the skin. What does cause the issues is the area around the numbers that actually is exposed. The numbers, when stripped, do not remain, the clean perfect aluminum is exposed. You see the oxidation around the numbers. The more exposer, the deeper the ghost image will be. Sometimes this is impossible to remove and just has to be looked at as history.
Nuvi is very correct about the stretch marks. The seven panel end caps have the least due to less stretch forming required. The five panel end caps will show even more due to each segment being a wider span and having required more tonnage to form it. The modern aluminum used today does not form these stretch marks due to it being a totally different alloy of aluminum (it is the same as license plates are made from) but cannot be polished as Alclad can. Any metal can be polished. Some polish better than others.
I always wonder though, why the center panel on a new Airstream is a totally different color than the rest of the end cap. I asked someone from Colonial this and they kind of side tracked the answer. I assume they did not know either.
Frank's Trailer Works is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2011, 08:57 PM   #17
Rivet Master

Southwestern , Ohio
Quote:
What do your stretch marks look like? I looked on mine (which has not been buffed) and couldn't find anything. This aluminum thing is getting complicated.
The "stretch marks" I mentioned are kinda hard to describe. They don't show up till you start cutting through the oxide. After a couple passes with coarse polish (you will probably find it will take several passes to get through to clean aluminum--at least I did) you will notice thin dark streaks where the oxide is thicker. I suspect this is where the pure aluminum layer stretched out a little thinner when the panel was formed. It's not a problem aside from the fact that those panels will take more polishing to get the oxide off than the other panels. Or you can do like I did and let some of the oxide stay--I didn't want to polish right through the cladding.

And yeah, you're right--"this aluminum thing" is a lot more complicated than most people realize! I found a lot of variation in polishing behavior between one panel and another. It's more of an art than a science.

Dale (Pee Wee) Schwamborn worked for Airstream, and purchased their aluminum for a number of years. He has a lot of good stories to tell about it. I've forgotten the details, but I recall Airstream bought the aluminum they used for single-curved panels from one manufacturer (Reynolds, I think) but the aluminum for the compound-curved end shells from another (Kaiser) because the different brands worked better in those uses. (I may have Reynolds and Kaiser reversed.) Nobody knew why.

The other Pee Wee story is that if you look at the pictures of new 60's Airstreams, they looked like they had been polished. They weren't--that's what the aluminum looked like when it came from the rolling mill.

And therein lies a tale. The quality of the surface finish of the sheet depends on the surface finish of the rollers in the rolling mill. The rolls are reground at frequent intervals and the first batches of aluminum sheet that come off the new rolls are better than later batches.

Aluminum is purchased to a specification, and all the aluminum meets the specification. But Boeing paid extra to get the first batches off new rolls so they had the best surface finish.

But there was one relatively small customer that got their aluminum even before Boeing--Airstream.
Old 07-18-2011, 05:11 AM   #18
2 Rivet Member

1969 27' Overlander
Vestavia , Alabama
Attached should be a before pic. I did get a promising amount of the etching to smooth out through compound cut. Will post more later.

Got a little over half of the first cut done this weekend.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG-20110716-00060.jpg
Views:	122
Size:	50.9 KB
ID:	135180  
Old 08-15-2011, 11:19 AM   #19
Rivet Master

1966 26' Overlander
Woodstock , Georgia
I have had some success with 1000 grit wet sandpaper, and then brown tripoli. The numbers are almost totally invisible now.
AIR #005
Please visit our blogs and web pages:
OUR AIRSTREAM PASSION! BLOG
RESTORING AN AIRSTREAM
retired!
ALANSD is offline   Reply With Quote