Old 10-28-2007, 01:32 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

2007 19' Safari SE
Seal Beach , California
NU-FINISH polish

Just to add my $.02, I've found that NU-FINISH car polish is an easy product to apply. You can even apply it in direct sunlight, and it goes on and wipes off very quickly. While it won't cover scratches (e.g. from branches), it adds a nice glass-like finish to our freshly-washed Bambi.

Jerry & Susan
2007 19' Bambi SE; 2010 Ford F-150 5.4L SuperCrew 4x4 w/ FlipPac camper shell
ESCAPE POD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2007, 09:50 PM   #2
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
holland , Michigan
I agree wth you NU is a great product and easy to work with. It also will perform up to one year after application. BUT, my 04 28 safari had a brand new bottle of waubernize from previous owner/ in chula vista ca on a 7k tour and we decided to use the unused formula. I was impressed indeed, with excemption to the rock guards.. Here wd40 worked the best. the old wauber really cleans as good as it does polishes. did the entire rig i less than 3 hours, went to the hot tub and relaxed at the chula vista rv resort. Not bad for the close location to San Diego.She looks better than ever.

Old 11-02-2007, 11:29 AM   #3
3 Rivet Member

2007 19' Safari SE
Seal Beach , California
Yeah, the NU just streaked on the rock guards. Then I remembered that they are stainless steel. Thanks for the wd-40 tip!

Jerry & Susan
Old 11-02-2007, 12:52 PM   #4
Tramp Streamer
Commercial Member

1995 28' Excella
Artist , at Large
Plexi

NU FINISH also works great on the solar rock guards, AKA plexi window guards.

Michael
ArtStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2007, 01:57 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
1972 29' Ambassador
St. Paul , Minnesota
Umnn - Consumer Labs liked the Nu-Finish in their testing & reported it a best buy but they never admitted what its like to re-apply it a year later - its just a mere 1000% more work since the good protective film turns into a substance similar to Vulkem when the next' years applicator hits it.

If on second application you commit to using 3x the regular amount of new wax to act as a solvent and a huge stack of terry cloth wiper towels to keep the old now-dissolved wax from 'polluting' the surface by wiping it off immediately while still wet then re-applying the true finishing coat you will do okay...

I have used Nu-Finish since it came out around 1980 and I learned how hard it was to re-apply on my 1971 Ford Pinto and haven't bought it since. I perfected the above mentioned method when my great-uncle had me help him recoat his $50,000 Lexus after he read the Consumer Labs article....

Wabbiteer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2007, 05:16 PM   #6
3 Rivet Member

2007 19' Safari SE
Seal Beach , California
Reapplication woes: NU-FINISH

Since you aren't a current fan of NU-FINISH, what product do you use to polish/wax your Airstream? Walbernize?

Jerry & Susan
Old 11-02-2007, 05:36 PM   #7
4 Rivet Member

1975 27' Overlander
High River , Alberta
Quote:
Originally Posted by ESCAPE POD
Yeah, the NU just streaked on the rock guards. Then I remembered that they are stainless steel. Thanks for the wd-40 tip!
My father used mineral oil to clean stainless steel. Something he learned working in the food industry.
Old 11-02-2007, 06:05 PM   #8
_

. , .
mineral oil is a nice product to clean/coat the stainless segment protectors...

many of the brand name sprays for brushed stainless are basically food grade mineral oil...

nu-fin...

the msds isn't complete for this product but it is 10% stoddard solvent...

and that's the primary 'cleaner' agent (white mineral spirits) it contains....

ATSDR - ToxFAQs™: Stoddard Solvent

http://www.public-health.uiowa.edu/b...%20solvent.pdf

White spirit - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

i have tried it but don't use it or recommend it. yes cr DID give it a big THUMBSUP a few years ago, but so what, they also like honda and dell

generally most solvents applied to the new alcoa clearcoat are safe, but on the older plasticoat would be detrimental...

whenever using a petrol distillate solvent, wear gloves, work outdoors and stop exposure IF the listed symptoms begin....

the newer water based poly sealants are clearcoat friendly, durable and so on...

cleaning, polishing and waxing/protecting are better split up into separate steps...

cheers
2air'

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2007, 05:39 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
1972 29' Ambassador
St. Paul , Minnesota
I am not disrespecting Nu-Finish - seeing how gnarly the film is EVEN after it gets diluted by road grime oils and tree saps is impressive, the somewhat rubbery film is still protecting the paint. Just communicating a plan of action for when the real work starts recoating the vehicle.

For my tow vehicle I use one that does some neat things with UV light - gives a 'optical purple' sheen to it from skyshine on the horizontal planes - I will get the name next time I am out back.

I tried above wax on freshly polished taillight castings on my '73 and have powdery white oxide stains after three weeks - I guess it's time to get the Nu-Finish out, IF someone doesn't have a better option....

Wabbiteer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2007, 05:45 PM   #10
Rivet Master

1966 26' Overlander
Woodstock , Georgia
Liquid Glass will do what the NU stuff does, and will easily be reapplied when neessary. Its a poly coat over your aluminum, paint or clearcoat. I have been very happy with its performance over the past 5 years.

AIR #005
Please visit our blogs and web pages:
OUR AIRSTREAM PASSION! BLOG
RESTORING AN AIRSTREAM
Our AIRSTREAM and TIN CAN TOURIST Rallys
ALANSD is offline   Reply With Quote