Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-04-2006, 05:24 PM   #1
Rivet Master

2003 22' International CCD
Kiln , Mississippi
No going back now.......

Hello everyone, well, after 6 months of reading threads on the polishing topic, buying what I think is the best combination of equipment and polishing compounds and materials, I have begun to polish the Caravel. I have removed the street side utility access door and did a quick one over of stripping the clearcote, Nuvite F7, then S with my brand new Cyclo and in 15 minutes of experimentation the results were pleasing (to me anyway). I learned a little by doing it myself and will slowly start the rest of the caravel next week. I hope to chart my progress in this thread and will post as I reach some of what I will consider milestones.

I have read allot of your threads and will be applying most of what you have shown but there is nothing like doing it yourself. Here are a few opening shots of the project.

BTW - a few months back I mentioned I had damage to the side panel near the access door. In one of the views you see my solution, a scare light covered the dent and cut panel perfectly. Looks OK and to the untrained eye - original. My dent was a nearly perfect dimple about the size of half a golf ball. A 4&1/8" hole saw did the trick. I would of had to replace the whole panel so until I feel the need to dig in that deep - the light will do.

Wish me luck, I'm going to need lots.....
Mike
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	test.JPG
Views:	142
Size:	49.7 KB
ID:	21967   Click image for larger version

Name:	streetside_polish_door.JPG
Views:	161
Size:	52.7 KB
ID:	21968  

clancy_boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2006, 05:48 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1948 16' Wee Wind
1953 21' Flying Cloud
Denver , Colorado
Lightbulb The bright solution!

Quote:
Originally Posted by clancy_boy
... BTW - a few months back I mentioned I had damage to the side panel near the access door. In one of the views you see my solution, a scare light covered the dent and cut panel perfectly. Looks OK and to the untrained eye - original. My dent was a nearly perfect dimple about the size of half a golf ball. A 4&1/8" hole saw did the trick. I would of had to replace the whole panel so until I feel the need to dig in that deep - the light will do.
Mike
Mike:

That's a very bright solution to an imploded problem. Whoever drove the Titliest into the side of the trailer had an excellent sense of proportion and dead-on aim; that street side scrare light is so well centered it looks like factory original equipment. Very clever soluton; and very Good Work! Your reward is that you now have to polish the entire trailer to match your bight and shiny hatch cover.
Fred Coldwell, WBCCI #1510, AIR #2675
Denver, Colorado - WBCCI Unit 24
Airstream Life "Old Aluminum"
Airstream Life
"From the Archives"
47WeeWind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2006, 05:53 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1956 22' Flying Cloud
1953 32' Liner
1955 22' Safari
Valley View , Texas
Send a message via Skype™ to Melody Ranch
Side by side

I start the polish on my 66 Caravel this week as well. Lets compare notes. Removal of the old sealants is my most intimidating task right now. Good luck.
Melody Ranch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2006, 08:56 PM   #4
Rivet Master

Kiln , Mississippi
Keep in touch MR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melody Ranch
I start the polish on my 66 Caravel this week as well. Lets compare notes. Removal of the old sealants is my most intimidating task right now. Good luck.
I have no seam leaks or sealent issues. Mine looks like there was a complete front section replacement sometime in its life and they redid all the seams (last 15 years say???) PO had no real info on that but the original owner was a real caregiver to this Caravel. Thankfully the PO between us did no real mods to the otherwise original AS. I will probably look at the seams closer after the inital F7 polish and reseal where needed before the Rolite S.

Mike
Old 06-04-2006, 09:02 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1956 22' Flying Cloud
1953 32' Liner
1955 22' Safari
Valley View , Texas
Send a message via Skype™ to Melody Ranch
I wish mine was as good

I do have seam problems. Lots of goobered up clumps. It was an atempt to seal leaks at all the regular places. So your going to use Rolite S? I am with Nuvite compound thru polish.
Melody Ranch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2006, 09:07 PM   #6
Rivet Master

Kiln , Mississippi
Nuvite S

It's late, I have typoed this before - Rebel Beck caught my mistake before. It's my fault for looking at all the polishing advice on here in the past three weeks so as not to repeat past mistakes and trials. Nuvite is what i will be using, F7, then S or C where necessary. I have to get some T-shirts from goodwill, I won't be washing my rags in my (that should read my wife's ) washing machine.
Old 06-05-2006, 05:53 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1964 17' Bambi II
Vintage Kin Owner
Schererville , Indiana
I too am in the throngs of polishing. I have found that cleaning up after polishing a spot with Glass Plus works as well as Mineral Spirits. It's a lot less messy for the washing machine if you ever do use it. I AM the wife, so I've tried to find the least messy way of cleaning up! I rinse all the pads before putting them in the washer on hot & a small load. Then I do a rinse of the machine on a larger load size on hot as well with lots of soap. Comes out nice and clean!
Hope your polishing goes well. I've had lots of trials & am only about half way finished. Today I dislocated my shoulder when the polisher nicked into the awning rail and flew back. Luckily, it popped back into place & feels pretty good!
We're going camping next week, so she won't be finishied, but oh well. I look at it as a long-time project!
Good luck!
Becky
Becky B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2006, 07:00 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1975 31' Sovereign
Oxford , Mississippi
Mike,
What kind of stripper did you use for the clearcoat? looks good!!!!
Air# 9552
rebel beck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2006, 07:17 PM   #9
Rivet Master

Kiln , Mississippi
Ummmmm STRIPPER

Quote:
Originally Posted by rebel beck
Mike,
What kind of stripper did you use for the clearcoat? looks good!!!!
But I feel soooooo good...

Beck, attached are the pics of the first panel stripping today and a pic of the can of stripper. Why this brand you ask? IT'S FREE, someone gave it to me and I will use it until gone. Good thing it's breezy here or I would be in lala land. USE CAUTION, no joke with this stuff, I will go to the less toxic stuff if I have to go buy some. Paint on wash off.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	stripper1.JPG
Views:	127
Size:	96.3 KB
ID:	22050   Click image for larger version

Name:	strip1stpanel1.JPG
Views:	149
Size:	68.3 KB
ID:	22051  

Old 06-07-2006, 07:52 PM   #10
1 Rivet Member

1965 17' Caravel
Auburn , California
Nice to hear others are doing the same thing. I stripped my 65 Caravel a few weeks back. Just bought a 1/2 Milwakee drill and a few bonnets for compounding. Got started a few days ago. Slow going so far as the weather has been warm here. I also bought a new cyclo polisher and nuvite online. I am following the advice I found here doing searches in the forums. Joanns fabric was having a sale so I bought 5 yards of sweatshirt fleece so I do not have to wash anything. I figure it will be cheaper to throw it away than muck up my new bosch washer and dryer. I too will post some pictures of progress after I make a little more progress.
On a side note I have my new interior couches and curtains back from the upholstery shop. I am planning to break it in next week at a local bluegrass festival.
CaravelBrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2006, 08:20 PM   #11
Rivet Master

Kiln , Mississippi
Update

I got some stripping done on the street side and have moved past the first panel had to stop polishing as the switch on my BRAND NEW Cyclo broke .

I will make the repair myself and start again tomarrow. New switch is only $2 and the frustration of mailing it back and waiting is too much. There is a lot of black stuff generated as all of you that have polished know quite well. I went to Goodwill and snaged a few towels very cheap, I will get a BUNCH more.

I also did my new tanks and sanded and repainted the tongue. Not with POR and this may be a mistake, but I used spray paint that I had. I have already redone all the wiring in the tongue area.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	polish-before.JPG
Views:	138
Size:	63.3 KB
ID:	22233   Click image for larger version

Name:	polish-test.JPG
Views:	139
Size:	69.4 KB
ID:	22234  

Name:	tanks.JPG
Views:	181
Size:	82.0 KB
ID:	22235  
Old 06-12-2006, 03:39 PM   #12
Rivet Master

1975 31' Sovereign
Oxford , Mississippi
We get to see Mike.

Still looking good, now we get to see what you look like. The tanks look great to.
Air# 9552
rebel beck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2006, 07:08 PM   #13
Rivet Master

Kiln , Mississippi
Update

Ok, this polishing business is a real chore but the payoff is great. After I replaced the switch on my new Cyclo (another story) I went back to work. I figure I have the street side center panel about to 7.5 out of 10 level of shine. I'm learning (re-learning) that you have to work in a small area and build on it as you go. Lots of fun.
Old 06-19-2006, 07:23 PM   #14
1 Rivet Member

1965 17' Caravel
Auburn , California
I got about 3/4 of mine compounded. Took longer than I thought and I may make one more pass on it. It is alot of work. I had to strip it for a second time, after I started, I kept finding little areas that the clear coat was not fully stripped.
I took it camping for the first time this last weekend. Spent 4 nights in it at a bluegrass festival. It was very comfortable after spending the last few years in a tent. I took a bunch of pictures and will put together a link in the next few days.
Hope your project is going well too?
CaravelBrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2006, 08:11 PM   #15
Vintage Alum. Enthusiast

1959 24' Tradewind
Phoenix , Arizona
ClancyBoy ~

Looking good. You must have had someone else polish your trailer because your hands are way too clean. Your smile I totally understand.

Brad
FF

I'm haunted by aluminum.
Charter Member of the 4 Corners Unit.
flyfshr is offline   Reply With Quote