Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Exterior Restoration Forum > Cleaning, Stripping & Polishing
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-17-2010, 03:26 PM   #1
Rivet Master

2008 23' Safari FB SE
Boulder , Colorado
Newbie question - how do you get up on roof to clean your AS?

Hi there -

We just bought an 08 Safari 23FB and want to wash/wax it in the next few weeks.

I've read the instructions on how to wash/wax but I am wondering how y'all usually get to the roof to wash/wax it?

Do you use tall aluminum ladders and actually get up on the roof to clean that area and wipe it down - just pad under the ladder to avoid scratches or do you just use a cloth/broom type handle to wash and wipe down those areas and stay off the roof?

Can the roof support a person without buckling/getting dents?

Thanks!
bonginator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2010, 04:35 PM   #2
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
I use an aluminum ladder with towels wrapped around the part that would contact the trailer. If the trailer has an awning or two, I place the ladder against the metal slats that cover the awning.
A soft bristled brush will work on the roof as well as the sides. The roof will support people on it, just keep to the lines of rivets (that's where the support is), and keep off the ends.
Old 05-17-2010, 04:39 PM   #3

Vintage Kin Owner
... , ...
Yes the roof can support your weight but there are some important considerations.

Wear flat, soft sole shoes and stay on the rivet lines. Never walk on, or try to access the roof from the end caps.

We don't actually get on the roof to wash it, we use a long handled mop. We do access the roof to re-seal any seams, penetrations, and visually inspect the plastic parts twice a year. I use a large step ladder and I know of others who use a straight ladder resting on pads or a board that spans the rib lines.

Regards,

Kevin

"One of the best lessons I've learned is that you don't worry about criticism from people you wouldn't seek advice from."

William C. Swinney

Kevin245 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2010, 05:32 PM   #4
Rivet Monster

1975 31' Sovereign
1980 31' Excella II
Sprung Leak , North Carolina
I put a ladder against the awning(s) to reach the top with a long handled brush. I do get on top for maintenance work, but I wear soft soled boat shoes and stay as close to the rivet lines as possible. NO ENDCAPS. FWIW I am no lightweight at 215#.

Aaron
WBCCI #XXXX AIR #2495
Why are we in this basket...and where are we going
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010, 11:58 PM   #5
3 Rivet Member

1970 27' Overlander
Sumner , Washington
bonginater
Thanks for asking, I just bought my first a/s a month ago and was wondering the same thing.
howco is offline   Reply With Quote