Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-07-2016, 06:11 AM   #1
Newbie campers

Currently Looking...
Middletown , Connecticut
newbie needs rundown of newer models maintenance

hi 'still looking' for the love of my life silver bullet, new to forum, search but didn't find a post to address my q's- if there is such a post perhaps one could refer me please:

1. ok, i just got the interest bite and plan to purchase one within 3-6 months. i want a newer one, thinking not more than 5 years, so model year 2011 or newer.

i notice the newer models appear to be a brushed look aluminum and i believe the ones of past years are very shiny. are the newer ones same just without a buff shine to them?

please explain.

i have been a car enthusiast my whole life, and even polished fiberglass boats and treated teak wood. with this said, i don't polish my stainless flatware, and don't have much experience working alum, but this forum will be valuable for this i'm sure.

i'm hoping for low end maintenance as i'm 56, female and save hands for playing keys, lol! i'm in a rock band don't laugh. please let me know about the gentle and necessary care of the newer matt looking models? thanks!

MEL868 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2016, 06:20 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB International
Trent Woods , North Carolina
Newer models have an automotive type clearcoat on the exterior. You care for it like you would a car, wash and wax. No real hard work required except to watch for corrosion, check caulking/sealing at seams, windows, etc., lubricate moving parts. You can make cleaning hard or easy.
Larry
lsbrodsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2016, 06:49 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2014 30' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by lsbrodsky View Post
Newer models have an automotive type clearcoat on the exterior. You care for it like you would a car, wash and wax. No real hard work required except to watch for corrosion, check caulking/sealing at seams, windows, etc., lubricate moving parts. You can make cleaning hard or easy.
Larry
I agree. X2
2014 Airstream Flying Cloud 30 Recliner - WBCCI #4850 - AIR #110821
2018 Nissan Armada SL Tow Vehicle, Equal-i-zer Hitch
Visit Our Flying Cloud blog for my latest adventure!
FCStreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2016, 07:24 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
I do not believe that AIRSTREAM's have ever come with a mirror polish. That is the result of 100's of hours of hard dirty work to achieve and maintain.

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2016, 07:46 AM   #5
4 Rivet Member

Vintage Kin Owner
St. Louis , Missouri
The modern satin (brushed) finish is anodized aluminum. Anodizing aluminum gives it a tough skin.

Those bright shiny mirror finished trailers from the 50s and 60s were not anodized. They sure are purdy, but the skin was much softer than they are today.

If you want a trailer that looks like chrome plated, you'll need to go vintage. If you want modern, you'll need to fall in love with a softer glow.
Old 12-07-2016, 08:45 AM   #6
3 Rivet Member

2010 25' FB Flying Cloud
Tulsa , Oklahoma
Maintenance on Airstreams is just like maintenance on everything else (cars, houses, etc). What I mean is, things break, things leak, things wear out, and on and on. I just bought a 2011 model. It was lightly used, and sat most of the time. It needed a new awning claw ($20, 5 minutes to fix), a new vent line bathroom fan ($60, 1 hour to fix), a new black tank flush valve ($5-$20 depending on type, 20 minutes to fix), replacement fastener for rock guard ($3, 5 minutes to fix), new batteries (haven't bought these yet, expecting several hundred dollars), wheel bearings greased, checked and brakes checked ($200 performed by local RV dealer)........ You get the idea. They're not terribly expensive to maintain, but they do need constant vigilance and inspection to find things early before they become real problems.

Hope that helps.
rlhendren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2016, 03:27 PM   #7
4 Rivet Member

2000 30' Excella
2014 30' Classic
Princeton , Iowa
Welcome

I you and swing it the new ducked air conditioning is wonderful. As has been said you need to read the Newbe's book, get the fix it book from Airstream Life get some Pledge Multi Serfice cleaner. I use a car was product to wash it, very easy. Need a soft brush with handle. There are little things, more than a car, but not a big deal if you catch them early, Read the manual and keep it handy.

After 6 years of taking care of my Airsteam I kind of like it.
larryglarson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2016, 08:18 PM   #8
:SPACE A" S/O 11 Air19745

2006 34' Classic S/O
Fort Worth , Texas
There are no factory anodized Airstreams. SilverStreaks, Streamlines, and Avions, yes. Note: In the last few years of Avion production by Fleetwood, painted aluminum was use, not anodized, but it looked the same. All new Airstreams were coated with lacquer base clear coat until around 1998+-. After that, Alcoa Aluminum applies a PPG clear coat during production on the skin prior to shipping to Airstream. on these later trailers any cut edge is subject to filiform corrosion if that edge is exposed to the atmosphere. Moisture and/or salt are some of the corrosion causing agents in our atmosphere. Regular washing and applications of wax and/or corrosion blockers along the seems and rivets will prevent this from happening. If the clear coat gets a scratch treat it immediately. I just finished 11 seasons with no corrosion on my 2005 built trailer.
guskmg
guskmg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2016, 08:11 AM   #9
4 Rivet Member

Vintage Kin Owner
St. Louis , Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by guskmg View Post
There are no factory anodized Airstreams. SilverStreaks, Streamlines, and Avions, yes. Note: In the last few years of Avion production by Fleetwood, painted aluminum was use, not anodized, but it looked the same. All new Airstreams were coated with lacquer base clear coat until around 1998+-. After that, Alcoa Aluminum applies a PPG clear coat during production on the skin prior to shipping to Airstream.
Thanks for the correction.
I went online looking for the year they began anodizing. Now you've explained why I couldn't find it.
Avion anodized from about '64 to '88. In '89-90 the skin was electroplated and finished with a clear coat. Avion/Fleetwood never painted their aluminum trailers. Squarestreams were painted, and arguably had the best finish in the industry. Would like to see how they are holding up.

So you can strip the clear coat off a new AS, polish it to a mirror, and recoat?
Old 12-09-2016, 05:55 AM   #10
Newbie campers

Currently Looking...
Middletown , Connecticut
perfect responses to give me some background and history. i love them all and agree any piece of equipment, if you take care of it, it will take care of you! also best practice is to be vigilant and routinely aware!
thank you all for your responses.
MEL868 is offline   Reply With Quote