Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Exterior Restoration Forum > Cleaning, Stripping & Polishing
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-07-2010, 12:14 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2010 25' FB Flying Cloud
Fall City , Washington
New Airstream exterior maintenance

I have a new Airstream 25 FC. I've read the owener's manual and I've talked to the dealer but I'd like to know what some of you do for routine exterior maintenance as to waxing. I have been using a soft miricle fabric with mild car wash for washing but I haven't yet tried waxing. What would you recommend?

Our climate has a lot of tree pollen this time of year so I wash it fairly often.
NWGreyhound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2010, 12:39 AM   #2
tpi
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Trabuco Canyon , California
This is an unusual answer you'll get, and right at the top of the thread.

I use this for routine waxing: It is pretty much the same thing as Meguiars Ultimate Detailer in the black bottle.
Meguiars Mirror Glaze 135 Synthetic Spray Detailer 128 oz

Since it has no cleaners or polish, I spot treat areas which need this- scuff marks, grease deposits, stains, etc. I use Meguiars cleaner wax for that, or Meguiars polish.

But for the most part I just spray on the detailer and wipe it off. I do it about 4 times a year and my trailer looks beautiful after 5 years. It is my feeling if it doesn't need polishing, I don't polish. The water beads on the detailer surface as long as it does on surfaces from various other wax products.
tpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2010, 09:42 AM   #3
2 Rivet Member

2010 25' FB Flying Cloud
Fall City , Washington
thanks for the recommendation. My son who is a firefighter says that your procedure is what they do to maintian the finish on their firengines. I'll buy a bottle immediately and start spraying and wiping.
Lou
NWGreyhound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2010, 10:01 AM   #4
tpi
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Trabuco Canyon , California
One other thing I'd do if I lived in humid environment, or camped on the ocean-

Look into ordering a can of ACF 50. It is a pink, oily, messy anti corrosion foam. Apply it along the rivet lines (you want it to soak under the rivet head) every year or so, or as needed to reduce/prevent filiform corrosion (little white lines of corrosion extending from the rivets or on the seams). You may need to use cleaner wax to spot remove the visible oily residue after you're done. It is also beneficial to apply it on the license plate holder (very corrosion prone) or any other places you notice are corrosion prone.

ACF-50 ANTI-CORROSION BLOCK COMPOUND from Aircraft Spruce
tpi is offline   Reply With Quote