Old 09-15-2003, 07:43 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

Nevr-Dull polish?

I was talking with my friends air boat mech the other day and saw a picture of a highly polished antique plane. Knowing he used to work on these for many years I ask whathe used to polish it. He told me that the best was Nevr-Dull and to try it. I found it at Home Depot in a small can and it seemed to work very well by hand. He told me that you can put it on a polishing pad if the polisher has a slow speed. I'll be trying that in the morning.

The question I have is will it harm anything and also why don't you hear about it being used for this?

Thanks
Steve

Old 09-15-2003, 08:52 PM   #2
4 Rivet Member

probably many out there

I have used many brands of metal polishers on motorcyles, so it doesn't surprise me much that there are lots of products that work to differing degrees out there on Airstreams.

Biggest area is which is best, consistant, easiest, etc. to use. I think most people want known results and if they are not personally familiar with a polish and it's application go with the old standbys for good reason.

If you are familiar with something different , go for it , and I for one enjoy the new ideas this forum presents...thanks for the heads up on this new to me polish......jem

zduke4x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2003, 05:12 AM   #3
Huh?

1975 27' Overlander
Twin Cities , Minnesota
I remember we used to use Nevr-Dull when I was in the Navy about 30 years ago.
I haven't seen it since.
It was a great product for keeping brass in tip top shape.
Easier to use than the standard issue:
Polish, Metal
type 3 class A
Mil. Spec #*******
etc. etc.
I believe Nevr-Dull is impregnated with the right acids? to cut
through the tarnish on copper and brass
and the wadding was ever so slightly abrasive so it would scour too.
If the brass was really tarnished we wouldn't use it.
The Polish Metal (as we called it) was better for heavy oxidation whereas the Never-Dull was good for a quick shine on a daily basis.
Once you had your A/S bright and shiney it would help to keep it that way. But I would think there were better products/techniques for getting it to shine in the first place.
Old 09-16-2003, 11:24 AM   #4
2 Rivet Member

Hmm, I was in the Marines till 1996 and they still use Nvr-Dull on those buckles!!

I tried a tiny test patch on my AS and it shined a little but wouldn't use it on a usual basis. It is pretty abrasive over all I think. My whole trailer needs done so just waiting till I get to that point - next year.

stellablu
Old 09-16-2003, 07:43 PM   #5
2 Rivet Member

No good

Well I took a look at what I did last night and was not very impressed. Still I wanted to see what it would do on the polisher. It did get rid of the bad stuff but left a duller finish and more scratches than Nuvite G6. I guess there is no quick fix. Oh well my arms needed the workout.

Steve
Old 09-17-2003, 12:21 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1966 26' Overlander
Woodstock , Georgia
I have used nvr-dull for years, I used it to clean guitar strings after playing. They eventually broke quicker so i stopped that practice. On my Airstream compared to the two other products I have Mother's and Wenol, it was not as good.
The Wenol works great but was pricey. Going to try SS when I get some.
Old 09-17-2003, 03:44 PM   #7
4 Rivet Member

Thumbs up Wenol

I have found Wenol to be very good on motorcyles and I use it on my MH but as I have brushed aluminum, I only use it on lights and bumper. It is expensive by the tube as mentioned unless you can source it outside of bike shops and in larger quantities, which I have not tried....jem
zduke4x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2010, 10:03 PM   #8
2 Rivet Member

1987 31' Excella
Lake City , Florida
i am compounding with a Dewalt #849 after using the $48 a pound polish i have gone back to the old school polish the brown 1 lb $6.50 & the white 1 lb for $7.50 a bar. it does a great job and saves a lot of money. the site is pjtools.com thank you RB
Old 06-30-2010, 11:28 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1965 28' Ambassador
Irving , Texas
I used the Never Dull in hard to get areas after using a black,red,and green bars to do the bulk of the trailer.I think it is great for those small hidden areas.