Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-24-2003, 10:12 AM   #1
3 Rivet Member

1962 19' Globetrotter
2001 31' Excella
Napier 210

Getting ready to start the stripping and have decided to try the Napier 210 first... Anyone have a good source for this product. And an idea of what a decent price is?
Craig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2003, 05:11 PM   #2
4 Rivet Member

Really all you need is an off the shelf paint stripper that contains wax to seal in the methylene chloride and other mixed solvents, so that the solvents work on the coating, and not evaporate.
There is NOTHING more effective than methylene chloride, except perhaps methylene chloride and concentrated formic acid, but THAT is real bad stuff.
Dick
Navigator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2003, 07:11 PM   #3
3 Rivet Member

1962 19' Globetrotter
2001 31' Excella
Thanks, Dick. But my whole point of using the Napier 210 is to avoid the methylene chloride, and it works well!! Know where to get it?
Craig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2003, 07:58 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1975 Argosy 26
1963 24' Tradewind
Seattle , Washington
Where to find it

I found the Napier product being sold as "Hydrostrip" at ICI paint dealers. You can go to their web sitehttp://ici.com -the web site is a bit clumsy, and they don't list "hydrostrip" under their retail site, it's found without discription under their commericial sales. Napier references their product as being distributed by ICI in their "this old house" print release on their (Napier's) web site.
3Ms75Argosy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2003, 08:03 AM   #5
3 Rivet Member

Talking Napier 210

I used Napier 210 last week on my Argosy and it worked extremely well!! I could not be happier.

I learned several things about its use. First, sunlight will quickly dry it out so you must re-apply it before removal. Do it in the shade if possible and above 55 degrees. I left mine on overnight in 40 degree temperatures with no problem. Second, I brushed and rolled the product on and that is a good way to avoid a spray rig and the need to mask areas you don't want to strip. Third, being stingy by laying on a thin coat will not work, so make sure you get the correct depth for this product on the paint. Fourth, use a power washer to remove the product and catch it all (paint and product) on a plastic throw-away tarp. I did mine on a sloped drive so the water ran down the side of the trailer (I hosed from above) and off the tarp leaving the paint shards on the tarp. Simply roll up the tarp and dispose of at local dump with hazardous stuff (the paint is the concern).

I purchased 210 at a local paint shop that is linked to PPG Industies and paid $52 plus tax for a gallon. I only stripped a portion of my 20 footer with the gallon, but estimate 3-4 gallons for the entire job. Also, the paint was in bad shape to begin with so one gallon did the job for me.

Once again, don't be stingy for you'll end-up being disappointed-buy an extra gallon because you can return an un-opened can if you don't need it. But, if you are caught short, you will lose time (this stuff worked for me in about four hours, so a one-day project is possible) and turn a one-day job into a second day. I say-get it done in one day so you've only got a single clean up effort and it sure feels good to get it over with in a "hurry".
Rick Alston is offline   Reply With Quote