Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-11-2011, 08:36 PM   #21
3 Rivet Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Hueytown , Alabama
POLISHES: When I first got, what I thought, was a little section de-anodized I tried to polish it with Mother's aluminum polish. I tried this because I already had some that I used to polish aluminum on my motorcyle. and because it is non abrasive.

As I applied the Mother's to the Silver Streak, it turned black, as expected. Then as I wiped the black off, the first hint of a "baby" shine started to appear. When I got all the black off, IT WAS GLORIOUS!!!! I ran in the house, got the wife, and made her come stand in awe with me!!!! What a sight!!! I think I still have that "baby" shine picture.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF0263.JPG
Views:	207
Size:	329.4 KB
ID:	132232   Click image for larger version

Name:	Photo0021.jpg
Views:	206
Size:	200.3 KB
ID:	132237  

Hueytownalss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2011, 09:01 PM   #22
3 Rivet Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Hueytown , Alabama
POLISHES: I ordered some Nuvite form Vintage Trailer Supply, in the various degrees of courseness.

While I was waiting for the NUVITE to come in, a friend suggest I try some Diamond Brite Truck Box Polish from Lowes. While I was at Lowes I also bought some "stick" polishing rouges in a couple of different cuting grades.

The diamond bright, along with the Mother's will work great, I think, AFTER the first polish job. Neither will get rid of small scratches and such.

The stick rouges from Lowes and the Nuvite are what I will use for this first polish. I am still not sure what works the best. I am actually using both, separatly, and in combination, with great results. I will let you know what I find that works best, in a couple of days... I am still deciding which is best, and easiest!!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSCF0262.JPG
Views:	234
Size:	316.8 KB
ID:	132242   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF0271.JPG
Views:	201
Size:	348.5 KB
ID:	132243  

Name:	DSCF0265.JPG
Views:	213
Size:	324.9 KB
ID:	132244  
Old 06-12-2011, 08:42 AM   #23
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Dighton , Kansas
Your trailer looks great. Thanks for all the details on yout progress. Hope you keep track of your time involved to give the rest of us an idea of what we might be in for.

Regards,

Mitch
arhuranna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2011, 09:05 AM   #24
3 Rivet Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Hueytown , Alabama
Mitch, I have spent an estimated 16 hours, "experimenting" with this process. Now that I know for sure that it will work, with great results, I will keep a time log of time spent de-anodizing and polishing. And as best as I can I will also track the costs. I think the costs will be similar to a standard polishing of a similar size trailer, with the addition of the oven cleaner, which is around $1.80 per can. I have been doing a 4x4 section with one can.

This WILL be time consuming and will take more time than a "standard" polishing. The de-anodizing take some time to accomplish, because you can only do a small section at a time.

I'm not a writer, so I am carefully working on my wording for a complete step by step explanation for this process. I have attempted to describe what I have done so far. I hope that the info is helpful. And I am open to any and all questions in the mean time.

Thanks,
Jerry
Old 06-12-2011, 07:12 PM   #25
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
I understand (correct me) that you have chosen NOT to do the roof at this time. I was wondering if your experimental period will include what the results would be if a roof section was de-anodized above a polished section? Would there be any damage to the polished finish and could it be re-polished after the oven cleaner run-off?

I much appreciate the time and detail plus pics for all who are interested. None of us can deny the appeal of a shiny trailer! Hope you'll keep a rough reckoning of your time as it relates separately to de-anodization and then polishing as a reference. X-amount of time per square foot once the job is done as a guide for others. Same for polishing, be useful to know how close the time may be to an A/S major polish job that the owners contemplating this can look at their 19' and say, yeah, (or the 34' owner who, like me, will probably "live with it" by further experimentation short of this set of steps).

I wouldn't rule out paint. Some AVION owners swear by a CAYO-recommended facility to clearcoat theirs; and there are pics of an EVERBRITE coat of an SS on the Net. On this site see BobThompsons fine A/S paint job.

Am looking forward to how NUVITE works out. Seems that a Cyclo and that product line are the key.

slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2011, 07:31 PM   #26
3 Rivet Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Hueytown , Alabama
Rednax, Yes, the run-off of the oven cleaner onto an area that is already done, polished or not, will "mess" up that area. However, if I only do a small section at a time, am very careful, and keep already de-anodized sections sprayed down, then it seems to be ok. On places where I have let some splash over and dry, I have work a little harder to get it off with the Nuvite. Its not really too much trouble, just a little aggrivating.

So, if and when I decide to de-anodize the 4' strip down the middle of the top, I will have to keep the already done parts sprayed down. I have been doing this alone, and if I do the top I will get my wife to help with the hose, to keep it sprayed down. However, if I do the top, I will want to remove the vents, a/c, etc. That is why I am waiting to do that part.

Great questions, by the way. No-one can think of everything, so questions are actually a help to me. Makes me think!!

"Son, you can do anything you want, as long as you can read".. J.P. Rambin
Old 06-13-2011, 09:45 AM   #27
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
Tucson , AZ
Amazing! I wish I had the gumption to shine mine up but, unfortunately, there are more pressing issues that I must attend to first ... sometime....

But, I always remember this post from Airbuckled and would entertain experimenting with this Gravel in a Bottle if/when I polish my gal.

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f441...tle-63278.html

Laura
funkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 11:52 AM   #28
3 Rivet Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Hueytown , Alabama
Laura, Actually, I think your AS would be easier to polish than my Silver Streak. My SS is anodized, which takes a good deal of time to de-anodize.

Thank for the link, though. He has a couple of things that I might try.

Old 06-15-2011, 11:15 AM   #29
2 Rivet Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Minneapolis , Minnesota
That looks pretty fantastic! I have never seen a gold-banded SS polished!
|:::::::::/\::::::|>
n8andm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011, 02:10 PM   #30
3 Rivet Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Hueytown , Alabama
N8andM, Me neither, but with a liitle time I will. Its goingpretty good but I can't work on it every day, and when I do have days to work on it, I have to do early or late in the afternoon, because of the Alabama heat. Its near a 100 degrees here every day!

The gold bands will be a project in itself. I have all the rock guards for the front windows. The ones for the corner windows are anodized and in good shape but the end window rock guard is badly faded. The gold panels on the side skins have faded back aluminum color. I am going to paint all of the gold to as close to original as I can. I have a friend in the automotive paint business that will help me this. I want to use a paint that will stay.

I think it will be an eye catcher when I done.

Thanks for looking.

Old 06-22-2011, 02:55 PM   #31
Cjack

1989 32' Excella
Hurst , Texas
That's looking to be just lovely!!!

cheers
cactus
cjack99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2011, 08:12 PM   #32
3 Rivet Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Hueytown , Alabama
Thanks Cactus!! I haven't been able to work on it for a week or so, but will start back this coming weekend.. Will report progress.

Old 06-26-2011, 09:01 AM   #33
1 Rivet Member

POMPANO BEACH , Florida
Wow,
its really looking great and worth the effort.

However, there should be a method to keep up the polish something like a clear coat.
I read it on some restoration site but can't remember.
Have you been thinking about that and any suggestions?
sailor305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2011, 12:33 PM   #34
3 Rivet Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Hueytown , Alabama
Sailor, I have read about upkeep after the polish. As this is my first experience doing this, it is trial and error for me. I have gotten a lot help on this forum on the subject. However, from a few sources I have read, after the initial polish, it only needs touching ecvery so often to keep it up. At least thats what I have read. Time will tell.

Old 06-27-2011, 12:34 PM   #35
3 Rivet Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Hueytown , Alabama
Worked on it a little this past weekend. Will post progress pics shortly.

Old 06-27-2011, 04:50 PM   #36
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
Lin , Ne
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hueytownalss View Post
The gold bands will be a project in itself. I have all the rock guards for the front windows. The ones for the corner windows are anodized and in good shape but the end window rock guard is badly faded. The gold panels on the side skins have faded back aluminum color. I am going to paint all of the gold to as close to original as I can. I have a friend in the automotive paint business that will help me this. I want to use a paint that will stay.

I think it will be an eye catcher when I done.

Thanks for looking.
You dont have to stick with gold,,, you like Hi-Fi Blue?
r carl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2011, 10:25 PM   #37
3 Rivet Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Hueytown , Alabama
I have seen a picture of a SS with a blue stripe. When I get on my regular pc I will post it here. But I think at the end of the rainbow, it will be silver and gold!!

Old 07-23-2011, 09:09 PM   #38
3 Rivet Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Hueytown , Alabama
Its been too HOT here in Alabama to do much polishing. can only work on it a few hours a week. But it is coming along. I will post updated pics soon.

Old 06-17-2012, 04:35 PM   #39
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Dighton , Kansas
update

Hello,

Just going through my favorites files and wanted to know how you got along with your polishing project? Did you end up painting the gold section, if so what was the process for preping the aluminum for paint? I am looking at this project myself.
Regards,

Mitch
arhuranna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 09:27 AM   #40
1 Rivet Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Santa Cruz , California
Send a message via Yahoo to jgbyler
wow...that looks amazing... It's giving me some hope... The RV service place I took it to had washed the roof to check for leaks...and then dirt streaks ran all down the trailer. and then it sat in the sun in their lot. So, I have my work cut out for me/my 1971 Silverstream, but it will be a labor of love. Thanks for posting the pix.
jgbyler is offline   Reply With Quote