Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-14-2006, 09:19 AM   #1
3 Rivet Member

1983 31' Airstream310
Iowa City , Iowa
midwest polishing pro?

We want to get some exterior work done on our Ernestine (83' 310 classic)...satin finish and clearcoat redo. We are in Iowa and hope to find someone this side of the Rockies. Any suggestions? What is a fair price estimate? We plan to refurbish the windows ourselves (thanks Chaplain Kent!), but should we wait until the body work is done?

Dimples were cute on Shirley Temple, but Ernestine is sensitive about the remnants of a past hail storm. The dents are quite small. I know that aluminum stretches, but has anyone had luck with suction cup pullers on small dings? Would it be better to look for a business that specializes in hail repair?

Thanks for your help!

Auretrvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2006, 09:25 AM   #2
Naysayer

1968 24' Tradewind
Russellville , earth
I don't know about the polishing. I know it is pricy to have done. What I can tell you is that in the process of forming those beauty marks, the hail stretched the aluminum. That is forever, some may pop out but he metal is blimished and nothing short of melting it down and making new sheets of aluminum will get them out. Sorry to be the one to tell you. Just consider them beauty marks and go camping as much as you can is my advice.

Visit my photography and painting website
https://rooseveltfineart.com
Instagram is r.w.roosevelt

Boondocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2006, 12:50 PM   #3
INSANITY CENTRAL

1986 32' Excella
Airstream Funeral Coach
Citrus Heights , California
What the hail

Sorry to hear about your damage but the good news is the dimples will probably reduce the reynolds number, reduce the boundary layer and give you less aerodynamic drag which will increase your TV milage and endurance! But small dimples are hard to get out, you need to expose both sides of the damaged area and have a few special tools. My 86 needs the clear redone on the top also. I'm thinking of painting the top center section white. the sides are still in good shape. Good luck

www.popasmoke.com

Proud Appellation American

Vine View Heights is now closed.

YETI ( 65 Quart )

IGLOO (Ice Cube, 50 Quart )
doorgunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2006, 01:19 PM   #4
Industrialist

Alexandria , .
Rivet 5 - 6k ??

Try: http://www.pandstrailerservice.com/

Is Ohio on your side of the Rockies? This place is not too far from Jackson center.
Old 10-14-2006, 02:14 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Anna , Illinois
Send a message via Yahoo to overlander64
midwest polishing pro?

Greetings Auretrvr!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auretrvr
We want to get some exterior work done on our Ernestine (83' 310 classic)...satin finish and clearcoat redo. We are in Iowa and hope to find someone this side of the Rockies. Any suggestions? What is a fair price estimate? We plan to refurbish the windows ourselves (thanks Chaplain Kent!), but should we wait until the body work is done?

Thanks for your help!
I can second ABRACADABRA's suggestion of P & S Trailer Service in Helena, OH. They have specialized in polishing and Plasticoating Airstreams for several decades. They are also known for their ability to repair the skin to OEM quality.

It has been nearly five years since P & S refinished my '64 Overlander including Plasticoating. I continue to be thrilled with the results -- maintenance has been twice yearly Walbernizining, and the exterior still looks as it did the day that I towed the coach home from Helena. The Ruth's seem to be able to accommodate their customer's desires from a mirror polish to a satin polish job that replicates the original factory finish -- I asked for a finish as close to the original '64 sheen as possible, and that is exactly what I received -- shiny, but not quite the mirror that many like -- my goal was to return the coach to the way that I remembered it from 1964. I have attached a photo of the coach following its polish & Plasticoat:

Good luck with your refurbishing!

Kevin
WBCCI (Lifetime Member)/VAC #7864
AIR #827
1964 Overlander International
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
overlander64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2006, 05:40 PM   #6
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
If you are looking at mainly polishing, you can't go wrong with Dave (AirstreamCaravel).

I've seen his work first hand and he does a phenominal job:

http://www.airforums.com/forum...ght=shine+king
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote