Old 07-25-2010, 01:07 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

1974 25' Tradewind
Berryville , Virginia
method of polishing out scrapes

I have a 71 Trade Wind which I am doing over and have some horizontal scrapes. these are about 1/16 " and run about 3' horizontal. I will use a spoon tool to get the form back out , but still have to address the depth of the gouge. I would appreciate anyone who has handled this situation giviing me some advice on technique. thanks Barry

Old 07-25-2010, 01:30 PM   #2
3 Rivet Member

1986 34' Excella
Conroe , Texas
I don't believe the scrapes are 1/16" deep since the material is only .040" thick. That would make it a cut and not a scrape. As far as removing them there are posts on here where people have just used a courser compound to feather them and move the material around until the scratches are gone. No experience myself though. Good luck on fixing her up.

Old 07-27-2010, 04:38 PM   #3
3 Rivet Member

1974 25' Tradewind
Berryville , Virginia
Yea I guess I would have been better to say deep scratches. So you feel polishing is the trick, sounds good any advice is appreciated.
Old 07-28-2010, 07:04 AM   #4
3 Rivet Member

1986 34' Excella
Conroe , Texas
I did have a few scratches on mine that came out pretty easy. Just get a medium compound and work at it at 90 deg to the scratch and you will see it gradually go away. I used a buffing wheel and tripoli compound to remove them.
Have fun.

Al
Archersfin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2010, 09:01 AM   #5
3 Rivet Member

1974 25' Tradewind
Berryville , Virginia
thanks

I am pretty far off from this aspect of the project, which ballooned when I discovered that the main holding tank on this trailer had cracks which had leaked and corroded through the main structure requiring removal of the floor and replacement of parts of the steel, as well as repair of the holding tank, so this went from a fairly simple project of replacing some skin to major repair.I am skilled at repairing things but mostly on wood structures , so its a big learning curve. Thanks, Barry