Old 08-21-2017, 04:12 AM   #1
Fr Jeff

1989 29' Excella
Oscoda , Michigan
Matte Finish Shine/Refinish

Tom (at Perfect Polish) tells me that my 89 Excella (with the "newer" aluminum) is extraordinarily difficult to polish- at least to a mirror finish like the vintage aluminum. In fact he indicates that they do not carry anything which does that.

I am not interested in the mirror finish anyway, but would like a more uniform "matte" finish after I strip the areas that have the peeling sunburn clear coat. This is pretty much all along the "shoulders" of my unit where the body turns to become the roof (think - above awning level).

I read someone here who indicated that they stripped, light polish, clean and then used clear coat sprayed on those areas.

What is my best course of action to get a finished AS with a clean and somewhat shiney look - even if it is a more matte finish grey?

2016 F150 Ecoboost
1989 Excella 29
frjeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2017, 12:01 AM   #2
1 Rivet Member

1964 26' Overlander
Palmyra , Virginia
Likewise, I'm looking to clean...not polish...my 1964 Overlander.

Old 08-25-2017, 09:05 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member

Sacramento , Arizona
For a matte finish after you strip the clear I would highly recommend a scotch brite wheel like this one depicted on the right. Put it on any standard variable speed buffer and your off. It cleans and leaves a satin finish like the wheels here. Reason I reccomend a buffer instead of scotch brite by hand is because it will give you a more uniform finish.

Your newer aluminum can certainly be polished to a mirror finish it just requires the right tools and know how. I have a polishing business and I have never encountered an aluminum that couldn't be made to shine.