Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Exterior Restoration Forum > Cleaning, Stripping & Polishing
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-21-2017, 04:12 AM   #1
Fr Jeff

1989 29' Excella
Saginaw , Michigan
Matte Finish Shine/Refinish

Tom (at Perfect Polish) tells me that my 89 Excella (with the "newer" aluminum) is extraordinarily difficult to polish- at least to a mirror finish like the vintage aluminum. In fact he indicates that they do not carry anything which does that.

I am not interested in the mirror finish anyway, but would like a more uniform "matte" finish after I strip the areas that have the peeling sunburn clear coat. This is pretty much all along the "shoulders" of my unit where the body turns to become the roof (think - above awning level).

I read someone here who indicated that they stripped, light polish, clean and then used clear coat sprayed on those areas.

What is my best course of action to get a finished AS with a clean and somewhat shiney look - even if it is a more matte finish grey?

2016 F150 Ecoboost
1989 Excella 29
frjeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2017, 12:01 AM   #2
2 Rivet Member

1964 26' Overlander
Palmyra , Virginia
Likewise, I'm looking to clean...not polish...my 1964 Overlander.
Scoutx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2017, 09:05 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member

Sacramento , Arizona
For a matte finish after you strip the clear I would highly recommend a scotch brite wheel like this one depicted on the right. Put it on any standard variable speed buffer and your off. It cleans and leaves a satin finish like the wheels here. Reason I reccomend a buffer instead of scotch brite by hand is because it will give you a more uniform finish.

Your newer aluminum can certainly be polished to a mirror finish it just requires the right tools and know how. I have a polishing business and I have never encountered an aluminum that couldn't be made to shine.
jeg5263 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2017, 09:58 AM   #4

1989 32' Excella
Lakeland , Florida
Hey Jeg5263, do you have a part number for that scotchbrite wheel? I'm trying to find it and there are a million choices.
Thanks!
KP
2proms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2017, 09:30 AM   #5
2 Rivet Member

Sacramento , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2proms View Post
Hey Jeg5263, do you have a part number for that scotchbrite wheel? I'm trying to find it and there are a million choices.
Thanks!
KP
So for the late reply but it seems renegade products doesn't have these listed on there website anymore. Goshineon.com should have them or call renegade and they can help you out.
Old 10-30-2017, 09:38 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2000 25' Safari
Davidson County , NC Highlands County, FL
I'm also interested. Does anyone have experience and or photo to share of results on the skin of an Airstream?
Old 10-30-2017, 09:45 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2000 25' Safari
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeg5263 View Post
So for the late reply but it seems renegade products doesn't have these listed on there website anymore. Goshineon.com should have them or call renegade and they can help you out.
I noticed some wheels have a grit number, like sandpaper. Some have grade numbers. What should I be looking for?
Old 10-30-2017, 09:46 AM   #8
Rivet Master

1977 31' Sovereign
Vintage Kin Owner
Vintage Kin Owner
Sunset Valley , Texas
Just curious, jeg, have you actually polished an Airstream with this pad? The aluminum is much softer than the wheels you show and I'd be concerned with damaging something that scratches when you look at it wrong.
Perhaps on an Avion or similar trailer with thougher anodized aluminum it would be fine, but I'm a wee bit skeptical about this method on Airstreams soft skin.

Thanks,
Ian
Iansk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2017, 10:00 AM   #9
2 Rivet Member

Sacramento , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by A W Warn View Post
I noticed some wheels have a grit number, like sandpaper. Some have grade numbers. What should I be looking for?
The wheel I have pictured runs right about 400 grit. This is what you would want for a satin finish.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iansk View Post
Just curious, jeg, have you actually polished an Airstream with this pad? The aluminum is much softer than the wheels you show and I'd be concerned with damaging something that scratches when you look at it wrong.
Perhaps on an Avion or similar trailer with thougher anodized aluminum it would be fine, but I'm a wee bit skeptical about this method on Airstreams soft skin.

Thanks,
Ian
I usually use this wheel as a preparation to polishing of an airstream. I haven't ever had anyone ask me for a satin finish or to just stop at this step to be honest. These wheels run right about a 400 grit. I then use a da sander and sand with 600,800, and sometimes go up to 1000. Then I polish to a mirror. I actually was hoping to make a video soon of the process and post it up for everyone. Just haven't had an airstream to make a video with but I do have another trailer coming in that I can most like use since it has similarly thin skin.
Old 10-30-2017, 10:20 AM   #10
Rivet Master

1977 31' Sovereign
Vintage Kin Owner
Vintage Kin Owner
Sunset Valley , Texas
Come to Austin and test it on my Airstream. I won't even charge you. Plus I'll film it for you!

Ian
Iansk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2017, 11:32 AM   #11
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Question 'ya in a big hurry.....

Most every time I washed it I used a green scotch pad with plenty of dawn.

After a few years>>>patina.

It looked like this when we sold it....

Bob
Old 10-30-2017, 05:09 PM   #12
Rivet Master

2000 25' Safari
Quote:
The wheel I have pictured runs right about 400 grit. This is what you would want for a satin finish.
I usually use this wheel as a preparation to polishing of an airstream. I haven't ever had anyone ask me for a satin finish or to just stop at this step to be honest. These wheels run right about a 400 grit. I then use a da sander and sand with 600,800, and sometimes go up to 1000. Then I polish to a mirror. I actually was hoping to make a video soon of the process and post it up for everyone. Just haven't had an airstream to make a video with but I do have another trailer coming in that I can most like use since it has similarly thin skin.
My 34' is balding around the top of the upper side panels. Below the middle belt the finish looks fine. If I did the top half only, I'm wondering how close the satin finish with a new clear coat would match original mil finish on the bottom half. Any thoughts?

A video of your next project would be great!
Old 10-30-2017, 06:27 PM   #13
2 Rivet Member

Sacramento , Arizona
My thought is they won't match mill finish is rougher than a satin finish.
Old 10-30-2017, 06:29 PM   #14
2 Rivet Member

Sacramento , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iansk View Post
Come to Austin and test it on my Airstream. I won't even charge you. Plus I'll film it for you!

Ian
That's a great offer haha till I factor in the plane ride and other expenses it would only be a small fortune
Old 11-01-2017, 11:23 AM   #15
Rivet Master

2000 25' Safari
Quote:
My thought is they won't match mill finish is rougher than a satin finish.
I have been searching 3M's site for those pads. No luck yet.

I did find a Scotch-Brite Satin Pleated Buff Wheel that seems to be similar to those you described, but that specific pad only comes in large diameters 14" and above. The smallest arbor diameter is 3/4". What size are those you purchase? If you could find a specific part number or manufacturer's product name that would be really helpful!

I stripped the clear coat off of about a 4 square foot area this morning. First I tried a cotton buffing wheel with some white polishing compound, which gave a finish that is too glossy and left all oxidation (would not cut/buff to my liking). Second I tried rubbing by hand with a scotch-brite scrub pad, the type with the foam backing that one can buy at any store. That removed the oxidized part so that all of the surfaces finish was the same. To me that hand finish looks almost exactly like a mill finish because it leaves a "grain" of fine scratches that looks like the mill finish. However, that process would take me months, so I'm still looking for that wheel. I'll be happy with a satin finish!
Old 11-01-2017, 11:27 AM   #16
2 Rivet Member

Sacramento , Arizona
Quote:
I have been searching 3M's site for those pads. No luck yet.

I did find a Scotch-Brite Satin Pleated Buff Wheel that seems to be similar to those you described, but that specific pad only comes in large diameters 14" and above. The smallest arbor diameter is 3/4". What size are those you purchase? If you could find a specific part number or manufacturer's product name that would be really helpful!

I stripped the clear coat off of about a 4 square foot area this morning. First I tried a cotton buffing wheel with some white polishing compound, which gave a finish that is too glossy and left all oxidation (would not cut/polish). Second I tried rubbing by hand with a scotch-brite scrub pad, the type with the foam backing that one can buy at any store. That removed the oxidized part so that all of the surfaces finish was the same. To me that hand finish looks almost exactly like a mill finish because it leaves a "grain" of fine scratches that looks like the mill finish. That process would take me months, so I'm still looking for that wheel. I'll be happy with a satin finish!
Yeah white compund not enough. You would need to start with a treated buff and some brown tripoli compound.

Here's a link to the website
https://goshineon.com/shop/red-buffblend-satin-airway/
Has a 5/8 centerplate
Old 11-01-2017, 02:31 PM   #17
Rivet Master

2000 25' Safari
Quote:
Yeah white compund not enough. You would need to start with a treated buff and some brown tripoli compound.

Here's a link to the website
https://goshineon.com/shop/red-buffblend-satin-airway/
Has a 5/8 centerplate
beginner questions
Just to be clear--- When you say "treated buff", are you saying I should get the red-buff blend wheel shown at the website, and I should also use some brown compound along with it to get the oxidation off? Then finish up the buffing to the satin finish with a different/clean wheel?

I'll be doing the upper half of a 34' (~320 square feet). Will two wheels be enough?
Old 11-01-2017, 04:03 PM   #18
2 Rivet Member

Sacramento , Arizona
Quote:
beginner questions
Just to be clear--- When you say "treated buff", are you saying I should get the red-buff blend wheel shown at the website, and I should also use some brown compound along with it to get the oxidation off? Then finish up the buffing to the satin finish with a different/clean wheel?

I'll be doing the upper half of a 34' (~320 square feet). Will two wheels be enough?
No you would use a treated cloth buffing wheel with brown rouge to polish to a mirror. For what you want to accomplish all you need is the satin red buff and blend wheel. It's hard to say if it will be enough because longevity depends on a lot of things (buffer rpm and pressure etc.) They tend to last quite a while so 2 should suffice.

I hope to get a video together this weekend and hopefully it will help everyone out.
Old 06-15-2021, 06:57 PM   #19
1 Rivet Member

1980 31' Excella II
Twentynine Palms , California
Jeg5263

Where is Jeg5263 located?
Mojave96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2021, 06:59 AM   #20
Rivet Master

2000 25' Safari
I do not know where jeg5263 is located. His avatar says Sacramento, AZ.
Maybe that is Sacramento Valley, just south of Kingman, AZ?

I followed the advice and purchased that buffing wheel. I am not happy with the results. The "satin" finish this wheel gives is a lot rougher than the original mill finish. IMO, this would be the first step in polishing an aluminum truck wheel, not a finish for an Airstream's sheet metal skin.

I purchased the "satin" wheel from Evan's Polishing. (see post #16)
I think it is a Renegade wheel. Renegade makes several more aggressive cutting wheels for harder metals, which would destroy aluminum, so make sure to get the correct one for aluminum, if you purchase.
https://www.renegadeproductsusa.com/...Satin%20Wheel*

After I stripped the clearcoat and used the wheel to remove the corrosion, the finish showed the coarse swirl pattern that I did not like. So, after the wheel I used green square scouring pads I got from a janitorial supply (similar to Scotch Brite). I cut those to fit and mounted them on a palm sander. It still shows a pattern of the sander orbits (extremely small swirl), but this removed most of the large swirl marks the wheel left. I'm still not satisfied with the finish, but it is an improvement.