Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Exterior Restoration Forum > Cleaning, Stripping & Polishing
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-17-2005, 10:07 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

Matchless VL100 test results and photos-

One of the airport guys sent me phone pix of their test-

He said he spent less than 3 minutes and the area is about 1.5 X 3'

He stopped halfway and cleaned his pad with a spur and then removed the rest of the polish.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	mtchls100test.jpg
Views:	310
Size:	14.7 KB
ID:	12203   Click image for larger version

Name:	mtchls100dab.jpg
Views:	381
Size:	17.3 KB
ID:	12204  

Name:	mtchless100finis.jpg
Views:	347
Size:	16.0 KB
ID:	12205  
TravelCloud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2005, 11:13 AM   #2
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Thumbs up

So, what is this stuff? Where is it available? What type of equipment is needed?

And, the big question: How Much Does It Cost?
Old 05-17-2005, 12:34 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1961 22' Safari
Vienna , Virginia
If I recall from Travelcloud's previous post, he lives near a small airport where the repair shop will polish trailers on the side. They use airmark tools (cost: expensive). I'm a bit confused about what polish--Travelcloud has mentioned that they use ground up rouge sticks (if that is true, some kind of oil has been added to put it in that creamy suspension) and a brand called Matchless.

Mary
Old 05-17-2005, 06:18 PM   #4
2 Rivet Member

Not quite Mary-

Quote:
Originally Posted by fireflyinva
If I recall from Travelcloud's previous post, he lives near a small airport where the repair shop will polish trailers on the side. They use airmark tools (cost: expensive). I'm a bit confused about what polish--Travelcloud has mentioned that they use ground up rouge sticks (if that is true, some kind of oil has been added to put it in that creamy suspension) and a brand called Matchless.

Mary
But thanks for coming close-
The shop builds trailers, www.tourstream.com and they have a guy that works out of there who owns a bunch of trailers who sells some to Europe, and they do NOT polish on the side. They use buffers, not Airmark, and they use home made rouge powdered down and mixed to their specs.

Matchless is a big company, and they make a wide variety of rouges and polishing accessories-mostly industrial and commercial use, and I found them through Paul at Spec in Canada- who suggested their polishes as his clients liked them better than nuvite- so he said. After checking out the cost, and seeing the results and hearing what the guys say about it, I understand why-

If that Chicago whatever buffer that Harbor Freight sells is only $29 as was posted elsewhere, then I think for less than $120 for pads, buffer, Matchless- you can have a nice job in a long weekend. Watching those guys at the airport has really woken me up to what the possibilities are as far as a realistic time. And I'm still thinking about using the Airmark- its definitely the best way to go, just costs a little more.
Old 05-17-2005, 06:43 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
2015 27' Flying Cloud
Vintage Kin Owner
Conifer/Evergreen , Colorado
I believe that polishing falls under the 80/20 rule...

A trailer can be brought up to an 80% polish in 20% of the time, but to get that last 20% it will take 80% of the time. For many people the 80% polish is 'good enough'...for others they want to expend the extra time for that last 20% improvement.

This section below took about 15 minutes during a polishing demo this weekend at our maintenance rally...it's what I would consider 80% there. It's a GREAT improvement over the 43 years of oxidation this '62 trailer started off with...but up close, it has a ways to go for that last 20% 'mirror finish'. It's a '10-15 foot trailer' not a '3-5 foot trailer'. But it is a tremendous improvement for 15 minutes time with Nuvite & a compounder followed by a Cyclo...

Shari
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	after.jpg
Views:	195
Size:	31.1 KB
ID:	12234   Click image for larger version

Name:	before.jpg
Views:	201
Size:	24.0 KB
ID:	12235  

WBCCI #1824 - DenCO Unit Past President (2005)
AIR #30 - Join Date: 2-25-2002

RMVAC | ACI - CO Unit (Formerly WBCCI) | BIRDY - our 1956 Safari | 1964 Serro Scotty
InsideOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2005, 06:00 AM   #6
2 Rivet Member

I never said nuvite didn't work- that was the 3 minute test that Bambi's Dad performed that brought that out. And the winner of that test isn't as good as the Matchless, in my opinion. My issue is that if its not the winner, and its not the best, and it costs so much- why do so many here get upset if I suggest using something else?

And there is nothing wrong with spending the extra time to bring out the luster- as that stage is called, but Caswell and the other big sites never say to use a cyclo- its never mentioned in any other industry- marine, aircraft, motorcycle. But here- its a must. The other alternative is a fine polish on a soft pad followed by a foam pad to remove any swirls. Its common and I've seen it work and its fast.

And the photos posted were of a 1958 trailer with a very rough surface, totally oxidized and on the roof, which the workers say is always the worst. And again- he was on it less than 3 minutes and it looks amazing in comparison to what it was. The amount of passes may depend on whether you want the 80/20 as you say- but the passes with a polish that costs 10% as much as nuvite, applied on a buffer that works faster and has the proper pad on it, explains why the 3-4 days is a reality and far less costly.
Old 05-18-2005, 08:03 AM   #7
2 Rivet Member

I would think that discussion and discovery would be welcome and encouraged on a Knowledge Sharing Forum. There has been nothing set in stone as to whats the best way to polish- which is what brought me to join this forum and discuss it- so that I could find out the best way and products to give me a nice shine in the least amount of time. I don't want to start with nuvite, change to SS, then to HM, then finish with Matchless. I was looking for a solution and think I've found some great alternatives to mistakes others have made in the past regarding their choices and time spent on the process.

This forum is Exterior Restoration and that is the subject, and just last week Bambis Dad posted about a new product no one here was pushing- it won his test! I think thats great that he was curious enough to see that what he was using may not give the best and fastest results, and that something else out there- in spite of the constant "advice" from others- works better and faster.
The week before Ed Starman brought up that his nuvite and cyclo process was killing him and it brought out discussion of the Airmark system- to which I reviewed as far as a time and quality comparison, and concluded for myself, that the 200 hours that people spend with nuvite/cyclo combined with the cost of nuvite/cyclo as opposed to a normally priced product and a recon Airmark and rented compressor, is not a wise investment of time or money- and the quality is better with Airmark, and the removal of clad is non existent.

I would say that based on the pm's that I receive from people too afraid to talk about the forbidden challenge of nuvite/cyclo vs anything normal- that you as moderators of a knowledge sharing forum would not want to close, censor, alter, or eliminate posts regarding something as pronounced as the exterior appearance of our prize possession travel trailers! The thing that sets us apart is the shape and construction and material used to build these! Shining them in an easier fashion is a big deal for people- lets help each other and stop all this selling of expensive products and badgering people who want to get it done in less than 3 months time. Thanks.
Old 05-18-2005, 08:24 AM   #8

1975 25' Tradewind
Huntington Beach , California
Action!

TravelCloud,

I am very anxious to see the results that come from your research. I admire your willingness to challenge the status quo! You make a very good case for the alternative methods you have brought to light. People have been polishing aluminum aircraft for a very long time now and it seems that there would be a efficient method developed by now. Kudos for your research.

I myself have never polished my airstream but follow these threads because they are interesting. I consider polishing to be too time consuming. Perhaps you are about to prove me wrong! (I hope so)

When will you finally put your methods to the test? I'm sure there are many here that are also anxious to see the results.

-T
Torii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2005, 09:29 AM   #9
2 Rivet Member

Thanks for the support-

I appreciate it and know from the pm's that many do- thanks extra for being public.

I want to get started, but am recovering from a health issue that keeps me from concentrating on it for the long weekend that I'm assuming it will take- to be honest, I'm with you- if it takes as long as the Finally Got Started thread shows- 150-200 hours, I'd stick with a flouride salt/acid wash and just brighten it. I got motivated by watching the trailers at the airport and the planes as well- coming and going quickly, and they used a different system. Now I've shown them this Matchless polish and they are all over it- say its easier to work with and almost the same price. The other nice thing about Matchless is that they cleaned it up with soap and water, as opposed to degreaser, and the pads stay nicer, longer.

When you say how "aircraft have been polished for a long time", its not that I have come across anything new- the guys at the airport have used the same system for decades, and the Matchless is just a rouge based blend that is realistically priced and performs well. There is no magic, the only thing that I say about improvements is that the Airmark and Spec system is the best available for damage free polishing- its not really new, been around for awhile, but they are refinements of a sisal wheel and stuck on the end of a pole.

My mind is still open- if someone produces another product or system that makes sense and shows up as a winner- just as Bambi's Dad showed us the HM- my eyes, ears, and attitude aren't closed off to it- thats how we learn and succeed in life. I only want to make a mistake once- if I polished one trailer with HM and then found that Matchless was better I'd be on it...

I've looked into the history of how things are polished and so many different ways to treat the metal and preserve it- maybe its overkill, but as my doctor won't agree to me up on a ladder for 3 days, I'll stick with knowing everything I can. Thanks again-
Old 06-17-2005, 11:39 PM   #10
3 Rivet Member

Send a message via MSN to gotair Send a message via Yahoo to gotair
[QUOTE=T Man]TravelCloud,

I myself have never polished my airstream but follow these threads because they are interesting. I consider polishing to be too time consuming. Perhaps you are about to prove me wrong! (I hope so)

Hey, airstreams are just argosy's that havn't been painted yet ..
Old 06-24-2005, 12:02 PM   #11
1974 28' Argosy TT

1975 28' Argosy 28
Hinsdale , New Hampshire
Send a message via Yahoo to stinkytwinky
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by gotair2

Hey, airstreams are just argosy's that havn't been painted yet ..

Being an Argosy owner myself I liked the comment above about AS's being Argosies that have not been painted yet. I think I will add that to my personal profile if I have your blessing.