Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Closed Thread

Old 05-15-2005, 12:27 PM   #101
2 Rivet Member

thank you alan

im ready to roll...of course this car in this picture would be lucky to make it up a steep hill with nothing behind it and barely any gas in it heheeh (not my tow vehicle)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	SKYNYRDRULES 003.jpg
Views:	117
Size:	74.5 KB
ID:	12134   Click image for larger version

Name:	SKYNYRDRULES 006.jpg
Views:	137
Size:	63.2 KB
ID:	12135  

Old 05-15-2005, 10:21 PM   #102
2 Rivet Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALANSD
"Its all made from $5 sticks of rouge- but for simplicities sake, now that the costs of alternatives are so low- HM, Matchless, SS, etc., "Travelcloud---
so everything is made from rouge huh? Why so obessed with knocking the other methods and materials? Is it a repressed memory of polishing from your youth?
Really it does seem this topic is being polished to death!
Are you agreeing, or disagreeing? Its true, I just don't see the reason why the same basic ingredients cost so much more, and why the longest system is touted as the only one to use. I'm not selling anything, its just my opinion, and others are saying the same thing- 150-200 hours for polishing a trailer is too long. And no- I didn't do mine yet- and glad I haven't, as it seems like those dummies at the airport who polish weekly, are finding that the HM is a bit tough to work with, and I'm leaning now towards Matchless, which they like- kept my samples and I'll stop by tomorrow and see what they think.

Ed complained that the system was taking forever- not me, I just read these posts and see where people are saying how long it takes, and know from watching the airport projects that there is a faster way.
Old 05-15-2005, 11:19 PM   #103
a.k.a. Ambassador Tim

1960 28' Ambassador
Northern , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by TravelCloud
Ed complained that the system was taking forever- not me, I just read these posts and see where people are saying how long it takes, and know from watching the airport projects that there is a faster way.
Just curious. How come you have so much time for polishing research going back and forth to the airport, but no time to polish?

It just takes three days....

The beginning of this thread when you started asking about how to polish is dated 12-30-2004.

Remember the Nike motto: Just Do It!
Check out my book: Restoring a Dream
Check out my Airstream book for kids!: Airstream Adventures
theVAP - Airstream Podcast
Old 05-16-2005, 05:14 AM   #104
Rivet Master

1966 26' Overlander
Woodstock , Georgia
"Some do it, some watch, and some just talk about it" as Nike says "Just do it".
AIR #005
Please visit our blogs and web pages:
OUR AIRSTREAM PASSION! BLOG
RESTORING AN AIRSTREAM
retired!
Old 05-16-2005, 06:02 AM   #105
2 Rivet Member

Not that my personal business is any of yours, but taking 20 minutes to run over there- which is on my way to a friends place- is a different story than committing to a long weekend away from my child (who comes first) and my other projects (yes, I have them too) and other activities planned for my family and friends, as well as 2 hours a day of physical training. We still camp- its just not shiny. I have an agenda to make sure I don't have a quilt effect from 5 different systems being used- and just because I choose NOT to use the same long drawn out system as others have, shouldn't bring out such anger for not starting it yet.

Seems to me if Ed was complaining about how it was killing him, I would too. He seems to be fully functioning and capable in a physical sense, so if it was wearing him out- its going to have the same effect on many others, and I prefer to use a proven system, similar or the same as pro's use, and to settle on what I use before I start.

I have to go by there again today- they were experimenting with my Matchless samples, so I'll let you know what they say- so far they liked it, and I bought 5 bottles of HM already, which goes against my plan of being sure of what I was using. See what happens when you let others affect your plan- I'll sell it for a loss now- paid $20 each and will offer it for $80 inc postage- less than 1oz used of the Red and Green. There are 2 Red, 2 Green and 1 Blue. PM me if interested.

I still may use the Airmark system- its possibly worth it to me- definitely more cost and time effective than nuvite and cyclo.

Please quit saying that I "knock" anything. I'm not spending that much money or using that much time, and see the alternatives. Exploring options is surely no reason for such animosity- unless you have an agenda you'd care to explain...? Before I would use nuvite and a cyclo for 2 months as some have chosen, I'd leave it dull or just acid wash it- and thats MY choice to do or not to do. You want to do it- please be my guest, but I'm not following along, especially after seeing it done in a few days.

Thanks for your concern!
Old 05-17-2005, 05:28 AM   #106
2 Rivet Member

Matchless Polish Is King!!!

I made a huge mistake- left my samples from Matchless with the guys at the airport. Went back yesterday and they had used it all up!

Their opinion- (and I have no reason to disagree or doubt them although I'm sure the nay sayers will be out in force) is that its equal to or better than nuvite and rolite, easier to use than the HM or SS, is easier on the pads and makes them last longer, and they admitted that at that price the home made rouge polish was barely worth making.

They smeared it on with a paint brush, spread it around and started buffing. said the blue medium grit was excellent at cutting through oxidation and left it better than the coarse nuvite would have- less swirls and scratches. The white leaves a nice finish with a smooth surface after using the soft yellow 3M pad with it. The plane I saw they did was awesome- they wouldn't let me take photos inside the shop, but they have a trailer coming and said that I can get some of it outside if I'm there at the right time to show the difference.

As I said before- a gallon of this product, costs at retail a tad more than a pint of nuvite! And if they start all the yakety yak about "aircraft specs" check out Matchless AL line- its the same formula as their VL product but is FAA and Boeing approved and costs more! NO difference except price!

Lets see- 8 pints of nuvite is about $350, and the same of the Aqua Buff/Matchless in a gallon container is $58? Could it be that those tiny little tubs are what costs so much money? Funny- thats what Matchless sent me for samples!

And no- I'm not starting mine yet, but am anxious to see if anyone else steps outside the box and tries these products out before I have a chance...

www.matchlessmetal.com or call 773.924.1515
Closed Thread