Closed Thread

Old 04-26-2005, 12:28 PM   #57
Rivet Master

1974 27' Overlander
1954 26' Romany Cruiser
1960 26' Overlander
Rockingham County , New Hampshire
Send a message via AIM to balrgn Send a message via Yahoo to balrgn
Man did this thread get OFF topic...............

'60 Overlander (Hoagy)
2007 GMC Sierra 2500 HD Duramax
WBCCI 1754 - AIR # 6281
www.balrgn.com
Old 04-26-2005, 12:47 PM   #58
Rivet Master

1961 22' Safari
Vienna , Virginia
Cannot believe that...

Quote:
Originally Posted by TravelCloud
Did anyone else get the part about "its not the chocolate that polishes, its the rag" in that? Now its even more proof for what I'm saying- its not a matter of what you use for a polish as much as the system and substrate that you polish with.
Oh, no Travel Cloud, I refuse to believe this.

Now that I think that I can use chocolate, it must be chocolate or nothing else! Expensive chocolate! Godivas! With lots of nuts and gooey fillings (for a better cut)!

You know, we only think that those old shop guys are playing with rouge. It's actually chocolate bars that they are waving around!

Of course, heavens knows what I (or a neighbor) ever said about Paris. I went there when I was a teenager and take layovers there on business trips. Maybe it was something about chocolate...

Mary

Old 04-26-2005, 02:07 PM   #59
Site Team

, Minnesota
Quote:
Did anyone else get the part about "its not the chocolate that polishes, its the rag" in that?
I must diagree. Chocolate is very similar to polishing rouges. The particle size of good chocolate is in the 5 to 10 micron range, almost identical to red rouge. Chocolate is a suspension of cocoa particles (and sugar) in an oil base (cocoa butter).

In fact, chocolate is made on the same type of equipment (5 roll mills) as polishing rouges.
Old 04-26-2005, 04:12 PM   #60
2 Rivet Member

Hilarious!

Quote:
Originally Posted by markdoane
I must diagree. Chocolate is very similar to polishing rouges. The particle size of good chocolate is in the 5 to 10 micron range, almost identical to red rouge. Chocolate is a suspension of cocoa particles (and sugar) in an oil base (cocoa butter).

In fact, chocolate is made on the same type of equipment (5 roll mills) as polishing rouges.
I never said it- read it for yourself, and I agree that the particles do have a grit to them, but is it as stabile as whats in rouge, or would it melt in your mouth, not in your hand?

The animosity towards anyone suggesting that there are various ways to polish by some here is a bit disturbing. I've seen 2 trailers- one WAY worse than mine get polished by SOMEONE ELSE in less than a week. I've posted photos of what it looked like.

I'll not have the time to satisfy your demands just yet, but when I do, I'll definitely document it- including the cost. I've also not set on my choices- still looking into it and weighing options. I'll definitely NOT use the nuvite or rolite or cyclo. Something must be wrong with it if you keep badgering everyone to use it, especially after you've shown how much longer it takes.

The truth is out there- and people who do these for a living- a real living, aren't taking 150-200 hours. I'll follow their lead- thanks.

Please calm yourself down- many folks make mistakes in the roads they choose in life- it doesn't give you the right to order me what to do with my choices, or when. If you don't believe professionals- its your choice, but not mine. I prefer to search different avenues than just marketed products and advertisements.
Old 04-26-2005, 05:50 PM   #61
Just a member

1978 28' Argosy 28
Tampa Bay , Florida
Send a message via AIM to thenewkid64 Send a message via Yahoo to thenewkid64 Send a message via Skype™ to thenewkid64
Quote:
I asked what kind of time frame they usually needed for the same size trailer- 3 days usually, but 8-10 days for one like the 53- it was a bad skin that was dent free but rougher than mine by a longshot. They say it was mostly in the sanding, and the pre polish was a 10-12 hour job.

I can understand doing the research and looking for an alternative method of polishing, but at some point you have to make a move. The above post was made 2/20/05. If it took the 8-10 days to do one rougher than yours, are you sure yours would only take 3 days.

Is that 3 guys for 3 days, or 1 guy 3 days (72 man hours vs 24 man hours compared to the hobbyist at 120 hours). One way to get a better handle on this IMHO would be to take your trailer there and get an estimate. Remember the pros normally can do any job in fewer hours than a hobbyist. I can frame a house, but I will take twice as long to do it vs. a professional.

At this point I believe that you have approached the Rubicon in the decision tree............

I see four choices,

1. Polish or leave it
2. Nuvite/Rolite/Cyclo
3. Buffer and rouge sticks
4. pay to have them do it.

Good luck on your polishing oddesy.......

P.S. My Argosy is painted so I just wax it.
WBCCI #5501 AIR # 49
-------------------------
1978 Argosy 28 foot Motorhome

Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something. -- Plato

Old 04-26-2005, 06:40 PM   #62
Rivet Master

1956 22' Flying Cloud
Durango , Colorado
You should not need to cover the rivets - just polish over them. After polishing make sure you do a good job in cleaning up the black residue around the rivets - otherwise it turns into cement.... well sorta - think you get the picture

Ken J
Albuquerque National Balloon Fiesta
Rally
Vintage Trailer Academy - Formerly the original
restoration rally
Old 04-26-2005, 08:07 PM   #63
Rivet Master

1974 27' Overlander
1954 26' Romany Cruiser
1960 26' Overlander
Rockingham County , New Hampshire
Send a message via AIM to balrgn Send a message via Yahoo to balrgn
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken J
You should not need to cover the rivets - just polish over them. After polishing make sure you do a good job in cleaning up the black residue around the rivets - otherwise it turns into cement.... well sorta - think you get the picture

Ken J
Thanks, Stripper coming in tomorrow, and wouldn't you know it it is going to rain for the next few days!
'60 Overlander (Hoagy)
2007 GMC Sierra 2500 HD Duramax
WBCCI 1754 - AIR # 6281
www.balrgn.com
Old 04-26-2005, 08:12 PM   #64
Rivet Master

1956 22' Flying Cloud
Durango , Colorado
Good polishing weather - cool weather, no sun and a little water to prevent the polish from drying too much............

Ken J.
Albuquerque National Balloon Fiesta
Rally
Vintage Trailer Academy - Formerly the original
restoration rally
Old 04-26-2005, 10:06 PM   #65
2 Rivet Member

The story I got-

Was that the owner did most the work himself, except he paid a worker to strip the elastomeric roof paint from the top, and do some of the sanding. He was working on it alone. I was told the roof paint was very stubborn. They gave me a run down on what it took and I posted it- something like 1 day for removing all the lights and prep and wet sanding, the next day finish up the sanding and start polishing with coarse pad, the third day polish with soft and fine rouge. I didn't watch it getting done- they said he's not very freindly and not to ask him for advice. One of the employees called him a " big mean bastard" and if I saw him working to leave him alone and not bother him. He's got some chip on his shoulder with trailer people- go figure...

And the choices are wider- I can also grab a drum polisher and use that- it makes more sense to me than hour count with the other way, but I'm leaning towards buffer and rouge- still plenty of time, and I have no need to try and create a show piece, just want it shiny enough that its not looking like its a 1954 thats never been shined- which it is...

Thanks for your input-
Old 04-26-2005, 11:21 PM   #66
2 Rivet Member

Polishing update

This time my trailer looks better in person than in the pics...but I have the front and the streetside compounded. Still using nuvite. Im having to use f-9 as the oxidation has been a bear to get off.. I did get some Heavy Metal, Metal polish. Its liquid not a paste.. Didnt do much when I tried it by hand.. But when I used it with the compounder it was amazing...BUT... first of all it went everywhere really mad a mess... also not so sure what its going to do to the seams if it gets in there.. and im sure it will. It helped for the first pass to get rid of the heavy oxidation and it didnt leave swirl marks. but when I quickly went over the areas I did with f-9 with nuvite C. it looks really good ready to cyclo.... no matter what method you use... buffer w/rouge. nuvite with drill/cyclo its going to be alot of work. But im looking for a real nice finish.. My wife keeps saying it looks done to her.. Well after experimenting I know what it can look like. SO I tell her You will know when its finished hehehe.... She said she was looking to spend some quality time camping with me.. She said she lost her husband to the trailer.. I was going to invest some money in an airmark tool but they never returned my call.. and now im over 50% done...The rear just needs the access door and around all those letters..
for Safari Tim... the bottom (banana wrap) looks black but its the reflection of the street.. hehehe All nice and shiny..
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	newoldironcross 153.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	45.6 KB
ID:	11785   Click image for larger version

Name:	newoldironcross 154.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	55.9 KB
ID:	11786  

Click image for larger version

Name:	newoldironcross 156.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	35.6 KB
ID:	11787  
Old 04-26-2005, 11:30 PM   #67
a.k.a. Ambassador Tim

1960 28' Ambassador
Northern , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Starman
My wife keeps saying it looks done to her.. Well after experimenting I know what it can look like. SO I tell her You will know when its finished hehehe.... She said she was looking to spend some quality time camping with me.. She said she lost her husband to the trailer..
I heard the same thing. Still do! Mine says I like working on the trailer more than using it!

Your doing a fantastic job. Looks really good. Some people do it, others talk about it You're a do'er

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Starman
for Safari Tim... the bottom (banana wrap) looks black but its the reflection of the street.. hehehe All nice and shiny..
Thanks! But lets see the aireal shot
Check out my book: Restoring a Dream
Check out my Airstream book for kids!: Airstream Adventures
theVAP - Airstream Podcast
Old 04-26-2005, 11:33 PM   #68
2 Rivet Member

Tim.. It would be a total waste of time to talk about it or think about it..hehehe... last time I ordered nuvite I asked to send along the polishing genie.. but all I got was my polish... I guess there is no magic way..But I will be blinding people while others are still talking about it heheheh
Thanks for your encouragement..
Old 04-26-2005, 11:36 PM   #69
2 Rivet Member

aerial shot

Havent made it up there yet.. But... My warehouse at work has an area where I can run planks over it. Someday within a few months you will see the aerial shot...Still have to complete the interior... almost done.. Ive been going at it everyday for 4 months now. Skinned the interior in red oak.. hey its only money and you cant take it with you when you check out.. so might as well spend it on good stuff before my kids blow it all heheehe
Old 04-27-2005, 12:02 AM   #70
Rivet Master

1984 29' Sovereign
Savannah , Missouri
Ed Starman,
I'm very impressed with your progress..
ciao
53FC

NEU #64
New England Unit
Closed Thread