Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Exterior Restoration Forum > Cleaning, Stripping & Polishing
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Closed Thread

Old 04-23-2005, 10:53 AM   #41
a.k.a. Ambassador Tim

1960 28' Ambassador
Northern , California
Looks great. You'll be the envy of the campground.

Hope your not bashful about strangers coming up and talking to you. Your going to get a lot of that now!
Check out my book: Restoring a Dream
Check out my Airstream book for kids!: Airstream Adventures
theVAP - Airstream Podcast
Old 04-23-2005, 10:58 AM   #42
Rivet Master

1956 22' Flying Cloud
Durango , Colorado
Looks really great! A bit of warning - don't have plastic tarps around in the sun near your trailer - they will melt One of the first things I found out when I first polished my trailer.

Ken J.
Albuquerque National Balloon Fiesta
Rally
Vintage Trailer Academy - Formerly the original
restoration rally
Old 04-23-2005, 01:16 PM   #43
5 rivets, 1 loose screw

1966 20' Globetrotter
Saginaw County , Michigan
Why not Walbernize?

For those who want a decent shine with a modest investment of $ and labor, I'd say Walbernize is the way to go.
I have shined a 26' Overlander with Walbernize and polished an 18' Caravel with Southern Shine. The result was far better with the SS method but the Walbernizing was accomplished in about 10% of the time and $ spent on the SS process. I have vowed never ever to polish another trailer, but I wouldn't hesitate to Walbernize one again if it needs it.
It all boils down to owner preference. I love the look of those mirror shines but I prefer to spend my time camping rather than polishing.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	walbernize.jpg
Views:	125
Size:	59.1 KB
ID:	11724   Click image for larger version

Name:	southern shine.jpg
Views:	201
Size:	70.3 KB
ID:	11725  

May you camp where wind won’t hit you, where snakes won’t bite and bears won’t git you.

Old 04-23-2005, 02:29 PM   #44
2 Rivet Member

1976 27' Overlander
St James City , Florida
Just wondering Rog0525, How did you polish with the Walbernize? Did you use old fashion elbow grease or a polisher?
Old 04-23-2005, 03:43 PM   #45
5 rivets, 1 loose screw

1966 20' Globetrotter
Saginaw County , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinman7
Just wondering Rog0525, How did you polish with the Walbernize? Did you use old fashion elbow grease or a polisher?
Hi tinman. I used both.
Tried some by hand, then put the polisher to work.

May you camp where wind won’t hit you, where snakes won’t bite and bears won’t git you.

Old 04-23-2005, 10:01 PM   #46

1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
Proof that you CAN polish aluminum with just about anything - if you SHOULD is something you'll have to decide for yourself

Coke can fire starter - polished with CHOCOLATE!

Old 04-23-2005, 10:19 PM   #47
Just a member

1978 28' Argosy 28
Lutz , Florida
Send a message via AIM to thenewkid64 Send a message via Yahoo to thenewkid64
Cool

Cool Link Steph!
WBCCI #5501 AIR # 49
-------------------------
1978 Argosy 28 foot Motorhome

Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something. -- Plato

Old 04-23-2005, 11:02 PM   #48
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
2015 27' Flying Cloud
Vintage Kin Owner
Conifer/Evergreen , Colorado
Wink

Love it Steph!!!

Shari
WBCCI #1824 - DenCO Unit Past President (2005)
AIR #30 - Join Date: 2-25-2002

RMVAC | ACI - CO Unit (Formerly WBCCI) | BIRDY - our 1956 Safari | 1964 Serro Scotty
Old 04-26-2005, 04:45 AM   #49
Rivet Master

1974 27' Overlander
1954 26' Romany Cruiser
1960 26' Overlander
Rockingham County , New Hampshire
Send a message via AIM to balrgn Send a message via Yahoo to balrgn
Thumbs up Last minute question

Ready to start the polish, I know I may be crazy for attempting this! The finish has a few areas that the plasticoat has either work or UV burnt through.

I know I need to remove/cover all the plastic on the exterior. However, what, if any attention is needed around the exterior rivets????

http://www.balrgn.com/Polish/Polish.htm

The remaining supplies are on order, due in this week!
'60 Overlander (Hoagy)
2007 GMC Sierra 2500 HD Duramax
WBCCI 1754 - AIR # 6281
www.balrgn.com
Old 04-26-2005, 04:57 AM   #50
Rivet Master

1984 29' Sovereign
Savannah , Missouri
balrgn,
Give me a call..You know the number..
53FC
NEU #64
New England Unit
Old 04-26-2005, 07:37 AM   #51
Rivet Master

1961 22' Safari
Vienna , Virginia
The Secret is Chocolate!

Love it Steph! Oh, forget rolite, mothers and all the chemical dream potions. I'll take Lindor bars any day! This is probably one of those Mars-Venus things--now we can polish our trailers and build up our seritonin levels at the same time!!!

I can just picture it "No, no, honey, give me a chocolate bar and a trailer and just see what kind of shine my raging middle aged hormones give you!"

Oh, yeah!!!!

Mary

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stefrobrts
Proof that you CAN polish aluminum with just about anything - if you SHOULD is something you'll have to decide for yourself

Coke can fire starter - polished with CHOCOLATE!
Old 04-26-2005, 08:08 AM   #52
Rivet Master

, Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by fireflyinva
"No, no, honey, give me a chocolate bar and a trailer and just see what kind of shine my raging middle aged hormones give you!"

Oh, yeah!!!!

Mary
Mary,

Speaking of chocolate bars and other decadent things, are you the "Mary, from Vienna, Virginia" that was in the recent New Yorker (April 18. p 92) magazine?
Old 04-26-2005, 09:08 AM   #53
Rivet Master

1961 22' Safari
Vienna , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by markdoane
Mary,

Speaking of chocolate bars and other decadent things, are you the "Mary, from Vienna, Virginia" that was in the recent New Yorker (April 18. p 92) magazine?
Oh, dear, Mark, I don't know about this! You've got me a bit scared. I think I have that issue at home, but I'll have to dig it out--and I'm at work. What was it about???

Vienna is a big town, there are likely lots of Marys here, but I think as far as getting cited in New Yorker, there are two prevailing possibilities:

a. I have a big enough mouth about me to get caught saying something quotable, yet really dopey and idiotic.
b. However, I am not the erudite (SAT word!), sophisticated sort that the New Yorker typically references, unless it's turning a new leaf and remarketing itself to shallow suburban working women.

If it was me, I hope I was on good behavior...Oh well, hand me a Lindor bar and dam the torpedoes!

Mary
Old 04-26-2005, 09:43 AM   #54
Rivet Master

, Minnesota
Mary,

It was a.

Probably wasn't the your best quote, or in the best of circumstances. It involves an American (Mary) in Paris, with her husband. I shall leave it there; the story is funny, if you've been to Paris.
Old 04-26-2005, 11:08 AM   #55
2 Rivet Member

Chocolate Polish-

Did anyone else get the part about "its not the chocolate that polishes, its the rag" in that?

Now its even more proof for what I'm saying- its not a matter of what you use for a polish as much as the system and substrate that you polish with. All the expensive stuff and slow tools are just marketing and profit- I doubt you'll get anyone to lie and say they do not use rouge, and of course there may be some different carriers here and there, but the rouge is the chocolate- only allows the pad or drum polisher to do its thing- slight changes in rouge grit and pad coarseness change amount of cut.

There are a lot of people taking lots of money from people who think theres magic in a bottle or tub- I'm not doing it yet, but I hope someone else takes the time to try it out- these professionals at the airport are doing it and thats all I need for me- but the doubters here can gain something from it and theres some serious money to be saved...
Old 04-26-2005, 11:25 AM   #56
a.k.a. Ambassador Tim

1960 28' Ambassador
Northern , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by TravelCloud
I'm not doing it yet, but I hope someone else takes the time to try it out- these professionals at the airport are doing it and thats all I need for me-
With all your research, I think you would be the ideal person to test it out.

It only takes three days....
Check out my book: Restoring a Dream
Check out my Airstream book for kids!: Airstream Adventures
theVAP - Airstream Podcast
Old 04-26-2005, 11:28 AM   #57
Rivet Master

1974 27' Overlander
1954 26' Romany Cruiser
1960 26' Overlander
Rockingham County , New Hampshire
Send a message via AIM to balrgn Send a message via Yahoo to balrgn
Man did this thread get OFF topic...............
'60 Overlander (Hoagy)
2007 GMC Sierra 2500 HD Duramax
WBCCI 1754 - AIR # 6281
www.balrgn.com
Old 04-26-2005, 11:47 AM   #58
Rivet Master

1961 22' Safari
Vienna , Virginia
Cannot believe that...

Quote:
Did anyone else get the part about "its not the chocolate that polishes, its the rag" in that? Now its even more proof for what I'm saying- its not a matter of what you use for a polish as much as the system and substrate that you polish with.
Oh, no Travel Cloud, I refuse to believe this.

Now that I think that I can use chocolate, it must be chocolate or nothing else! Expensive chocolate! Godivas! With lots of nuts and gooey fillings (for a better cut)!

You know, we only think that those old shop guys are playing with rouge. It's actually chocolate bars that they are waving around!

Of course, heavens knows what I (or a neighbor) ever said about Paris. I went there when I was a teenager and take layovers there on business trips. Maybe it was something about chocolate...

Mary
Old 04-26-2005, 01:07 PM   #59
Rivet Master

, Minnesota
Quote:
Did anyone else get the part about "its not the chocolate that polishes, its the rag" in that?
I must diagree. Chocolate is very similar to polishing rouges. The particle size of good chocolate is in the 5 to 10 micron range, almost identical to red rouge. Chocolate is a suspension of cocoa particles (and sugar) in an oil base (cocoa butter).

In fact, chocolate is made on the same type of equipment (5 roll mills) as polishing rouges.
Old 04-26-2005, 03:12 PM   #60
2 Rivet Member

Hilarious!

Quote:
Originally Posted by markdoane
I must diagree. Chocolate is very similar to polishing rouges. The particle size of good chocolate is in the 5 to 10 micron range, almost identical to red rouge. Chocolate is a suspension of cocoa particles (and sugar) in an oil base (cocoa butter).

In fact, chocolate is made on the same type of equipment (5 roll mills) as polishing rouges.
I never said it- read it for yourself, and I agree that the particles do have a grit to them, but is it as stabile as whats in rouge, or would it melt in your mouth, not in your hand?

The animosity towards anyone suggesting that there are various ways to polish by some here is a bit disturbing. I've seen 2 trailers- one WAY worse than mine get polished by SOMEONE ELSE in less than a week. I've posted photos of what it looked like.

I'll not have the time to satisfy your demands just yet, but when I do, I'll definitely document it- including the cost. I've also not set on my choices- still looking into it and weighing options. I'll definitely NOT use the nuvite or rolite or cyclo. Something must be wrong with it if you keep badgering everyone to use it, especially after you've shown how much longer it takes.

The truth is out there- and people who do these for a living- a real living, aren't taking 150-200 hours. I'll follow their lead- thanks.

Please calm yourself down- many folks make mistakes in the roads they choose in life- it doesn't give you the right to order me what to do with my choices, or when. If you don't believe professionals- its your choice, but not mine. I prefer to search different avenues than just marketed products and advertisements.
Closed Thread