Closed Thread

Old 02-12-2005, 06:23 AM   #29
Rivet Master

1984 29' Sovereign
Savannah , Missouri
balrgn,
That's one cream-puffer of a unit..REALLY..
IMHO..I'd leave it alone...
You're so far ahead of the game..
Unless you really want the "shine look"...
53FC..

NEU #64
New England Unit
Old 02-20-2005, 10:30 AM   #30
2 Rivet Member

Investigating-

Hi- Went back to the little airport that I saw this 53 Flying Cloud in before and it was gone, but was sitting up the street across a campground. It shines enough now for my needs!

Back to the airport- asked questions. They said its "pre-polished and ready for one more pass before done" and they wouldn't say what they used.

They did say that it was sanded and acid washed- I asked if it was dangerous. Laughed at me. I asked about Nuvite and Cyclo- if thats what they used- laughed again. They said the owner wasn't around to discuss it, but talk to him for a quote. They also said don't bother asking him what he uses- he buys some large bulk and pours it into a different bottle. They say people always want to know, and he doesn't say- protects his business.

I asked what kind of time frame they usually needed for the same size trailer- 3 days usually, but 8-10 days for one like the 53- it was a bad skin that was dent free but rougher than mine by a longshot. They say it was mostly in the sanding, and the pre polish was a 10-12 hour job.

I went back to where the trailer sat- its got a little black residue, and looks like the compound was green. Anyone know what this could be?

These guys know something- they're secretive, but they had all kinds of polished planes around- P-51, Experimentals, a polished Cessna.

The one thing that shocked the heck out of me- www.tourstream.com and its built right there.

Not friendly- not sharing info- but if they polished that skin in that short of time- I'm sure this is where I need to delve to see the fastest way. I'm keeping my eyes open.
Attached Images

Old 02-20-2005, 11:52 PM   #31
3 Rivet Member

El Paso , Texas
Send a message via AIM to aztlanco
TravelCloud;
I think the secret chemical they are using might be "polishing rouge". It comes in different colors and grades and it leaves the residue you mentioned. It is popular with big truck polishers for the aluminum tanks and wheels, but I have seen it used on Airstream trailers also.
Ernie
'58 Traveler, 18ft.
Old 04-19-2005, 10:42 AM   #32
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Castaic , California
I'm using the standard method as described on these forums using a drill for compounding and Nuvite products. I wanted to use the Napier stripper, but I'd have to order it and I didn't feel like waiting. So, after some tests I have been using "Klean Strip" Metal Stripper. Seems to work better than thier standard stripper. In a few areas I had to re apply, but not often.

I started with a variable speed polisher and the going was slow. I finally decided to try a Dewalt DW130 drill and I have no idea why, but it changed everything. Even when I run the drill at a faster speed it works better than my polisher at it's slowest speed. I am vexed!

All in all, I have my method down finally so, I am going to finish stripping today. (About 25% is left to do) and then I'll be polishing full time. I'd say that if a person worked straight through you could get it done in a week or week and half on a 17 footer. I'm not working straight through, but it's my project priority right now, so when I work on anything, it's the trailer. We'll see how long it takes.
Old 04-20-2005, 11:34 PM   #33
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Castaic , California
Pics

BTW:

Here is my progress as I move along: http://www.rikkirockett.com/rides/ai...stream_all.htm
Old 04-21-2005, 07:32 AM   #34
Rivet Master

1966 26' Overlander
Woodstock , Georgia
I used the Kleen strip on the grey painted lower cabinets on the MH it did a great job of stripping off the old stuff with a couple of passes.Then I washed it down and used mineral spirits to clean it before a soap and water wash. I sealed it with Liquid Glass and it has held up well for a year or so.
Now I want to try to polish it to a bit higher shine level...and will strip off the LG sealant with wax remover and try some polishes.
I found a trucker who used a mix of mineral spirits and shavings from a red bar of polish, and I tried some of that brew on my bumpers. It worked well pulling off the cloudy stuff in no time, and did not require too much elbow grease. I might give some of that shot on the lower areas when I get around to that.
AIR #005
Please visit our blogs and web pages:
OUR AIRSTREAM PASSION! BLOG
RESTORING AN AIRSTREAM
Our AIRSTREAM and TIN CAN TOURIST Rallys
Old 04-22-2005, 04:31 PM   #35
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Castaic , California
I don't think acid washing is a problem. Many AS restoration people use it. They have been doing it with airplanes for years and years. Maybe acid washing with a pressure washer is a bad idea, but spraying it on with a squirt bottle and wiping it off/rinsing it I think is pretty safe.

Quote:
Originally Posted by InsideOut
Acid washing is NOT recommended because of all the seams on an Airstream. The pressure used may compromise the sealant used in the seams and lead to potential leaks which can be very difficult to track down.

Shari
Old 04-22-2005, 09:04 PM   #36
3 Rivet Member

1975 23' Safari
Calgary , Alberta
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bambi's Dad
I'm using the standard method as described on these forums using a drill for compounding and Nuvite products. I wanted to use the Napier stripper, but I'd have to order it and I didn't feel like waiting. So, after some tests I have been using "Klean Strip" Metal Stripper. Seems to work better than thier standard stripper. In a few areas I had to re apply, but not often.
Nice job Bambi's Dad, things are starting to look good!

I'll let everyone know how the Napier Removeall 220 works next weekend -- I've got about 4 gallons ordered, and it should be in by Monday. $50+ gallon though - ouch! But it's environmentally friendly .
Old 04-22-2005, 09:10 PM   #37
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

1954 22' Safari
Deerfield , Illinois
Send a message via AIM to bredlo
Bambi's Dad, what a gorgeous view you have! It must make it very inspiring to get out there and get work done.
Old 04-23-2005, 10:50 AM   #38
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Castaic , California
Please do. The Klean Strip was so so. The metal strip version seems to be the way to go if you go with Klean strip. Some of the pros use the aircraft stripper and swear by it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferroequine
I'll let everyone know how the Napier Removeall 220 works next weekend -- I've got about 4 gallons ordered, and it should be in by Monday. $50+ gallon though - ouch! But it's environmentally friendly .
Old 04-23-2005, 10:51 AM   #39
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Castaic , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by bredlo
Bambi's Dad, what a gorgeous view you have! It must make it very inspiring to get out there and get work done.
Yes, it is! Very much so. Thank you.
Old 04-23-2005, 11:44 AM   #40
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Castaic , California
More progress: http://www.rikkirockett.com/rides/ai...stream_all.htm
Old 04-23-2005, 11:53 AM   #41
a.k.a. Ambassador Tim

1960 28' Ambassador
Northern , California
Looks great. You'll be the envy of the campground.

Hope your not bashful about strangers coming up and talking to you. Your going to get a lot of that now!
Check out my book: Restoring a Dream
Check out my Airstream book for kids!: Airstream Adventures
theVAP - Airstream Podcast
Old 04-23-2005, 11:58 AM   #42
Rivet Master

1956 22' Flying Cloud
Durango , Colorado
Looks really great! A bit of warning - don't have plastic tarps around in the sun near your trailer - they will melt One of the first things I found out when I first polished my trailer.

Ken J.

Albuquerque National Balloon Fiesta
Rally
Vintage Trailer Academy - Formerly the original
restoration rally
Closed Thread