Old 04-01-2013, 08:24 PM   #15
Rivet Master

1978 29' Ambassador
1974 25' Tradewind
1974 27' Overlander
Indiana , Pennsylvania
Ramona be very careful if you decide to have one of the truck polishing companies do your trailer. As Soyboy cautioned your Airstream could come out the worse. We took our vintage "60" Overlander to the polisher mentioned...really a mistake. If you have someone polish your trailer ask for references. On the other hand I have polished two on my own. Yes it is a lot of work and takes time...but for me it was worth it.

Indiana, PA

WBCCI 4871

Roadrunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 06:18 AM   #16
2 Rivet Member
1989 29' Excella
anywhere USA , full-timers traveling the country
Pattern baldness, for sure! I don't need a mirror finish, but neither do I have the time to do it myself (I'm in the middle of about 5 writing projects -- just published 2 books and I aim to finish 3 more before the end of the year). But if you guys want to do it for us, we would be happy to pay you!

Ramona Creel
rec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 03:05 PM   #17
Rivet Master

1986 32' Excella
Currently Looking...
Marietta , Georgia
Well heck. That is MUCH easier than a mirror polish job. Come visit us upheld in Marietta and check out our finish. We did not clear coat after, we simply waxed. We had terrible airstream pattern baldness before that.
Skatiero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 06:03 PM   #18
Rivet Master

1969 29' Ambassador
brooksville , Florida
How does the process differ from mirror finish to "factory" grade? At some point I need to strip and polish mine, but I don't want to maintain a mirror finish.
Not all those who wonder are lost.
Silverflames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 08:55 AM   #19
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
San Diego , California
Hi Ramona, how are you doing with your search, hope all is going well I'll be honest with sense I'm rather new to some extent on polishing airstream my first question was how much do it cost how much can a person charge for polishing this type of trailer, I was told for a person that never done it they can charge no lest than $150. per sq. foot and for someone that has experience they can charge has much has $250. dollars a sq. foot so when you do the math this can be costly, so if you really want to get the job done right then you might have to wheel and deal my friend, God Bless and have a nice day contact me if you want.
barneysm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 11:24 AM   #20
1 Rivet Member
1959 26' Overlander
Rutherfordton , North Carolina
They were likely pricing per trailer foot. Not sq ft. I charge $175 per trailer foot. Ex: 17'=$2975 plus materials (which can be between $200-$500). That price is just for the actual polishing procedure, and notstripping or repairing anything.

Also depends on the overall condition of the surface. I have polished good condition trailer with great results, but also poor condition trailers with ok/shiny but scarred exterior results.

Each day you polish, you will finish up resembling a coal miner clocking out. It really is a very labor intensive, and grungy job, hence the price. No one REALLY wants to do it, but people have to make money and fill the demand, so alot of shops will price it accordingly depending on condition.

I just returned from an inspection/estimate for a Caravel and the estimate was about $4500 because of the condition, and the clear stripping.
Yodaforce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014, 06:37 AM   #21
2 Rivet Member
2006 34' Classic
Okc , Oklahoma
I am looking for factory shine.
I have 34' classic.
I have purchased , from vintage trailers supply, a buffer.
I am skeptical about starting the job but definitely want it look good.
I don't have to have he mirror shine at 175foot.
Are there threads to tell me
How to treat the seals between sheets of Al?
What u should use to strip/ shine? Where can I purchase ?
How long will it take to do 34feet?
Are there online videos of how to?
Thank u

Sooners67 is offline   Reply With Quote