Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-27-2015, 06:44 AM   #1
3 Rivet Member

1969 27' Overlander
Boise , Idaho
Lettering

I can't remember if I asked this questino previously, so if I did, I apologize and blame my lousy short term memory.

On the back end of my '69 Overlander I have the AIRSTREAM letters which I understand are riveted on, I'm polishing and repainting those in place. The trailer also has Land Yacht in cursive script above that. Can anyone tell me how those words are attached and whether it's possible to get replacements. On mine, the chrome plating is starting to peel, also, polishing around thm is a major PITA.
Jamespio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2015, 07:06 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
I don't know about the Land Yacht lettering, but we replaced the AIRSTREAM lettering.....after our winter cover pulled the corners loose....by ordering a new set from JC.

Maggie
Old 07-27-2015, 07:15 AM   #3
Remember, Safety Third

1973 27' Overlander
Catfish Corners , Georgia
Almost impossible to find, don't break them. It's probably held on by studs formed to the back of it, then the skin of the trailer is drilled and push nuts attached to those studs on the insdie.

Jim

www.nesa.org
Air No. 6427
Jim & Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2015, 07:19 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
1975 31' Excella 500
Currently Looking...
Benton , Arkansas
And the nuts are covered with copious amounts of sealer.

I took the interior skin out of my trailer and didn't pull the letters off.

It was going to be not worth the effort.

I repainted them in place and polished around them.

J. Morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2015, 01:16 PM   #5
3 Rivet Member

1969 27' Overlander
Boise , Idaho
Mine are actually chromed, seem like that plastic with chrome plating that is now ubiquitous in cars, but which I didn't think existed in 1969. Guess, I'll leave them in place, and get some tiny polishing buffs.

Thanks.
Jamespio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2015, 02:05 PM   #6
The Sign Lady

1969 23' Safari
1974 Argosy 22
1964 24' Tradewind
Victoria , British Columbia
69 Safari

I've got a 69 as well. Same thoughts as the last guy... I had my interior skins off and determined I was more than likely to screw them up trying to uninstall and worked with them in place. They are a cast pot metal that has been chromed and after almost 50 years the chrome is understandably pitting and flaking. I left them in place and with a sharp fine bladed exact knife I cut off the loose flakes then sanded, cleaned and painted. I left the top face of the script chrome and painted the edges silver. I will look through my phone and see if I have pics on there to share
thesignlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2015, 07:54 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
1975 31' Excella 500
Currently Looking...
Benton , Arkansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by thesignlady View Post
I've got a 69 as well. Same thoughts as the last guy... I had my interior skins off and determined I was more than likely to screw them up trying to uninstall and worked with them in place. They are a cast pot metal that has been chromed and after almost 50 years the chrome is understandably pitting and flaking. I left them in place and with a sharp fine bladed exact knife I cut off the loose flakes then sanded, cleaned and painted. I left the top face of the script chrome and painted the edges silver. I will look through my phone and see if I have pics on there to share

I like it!

Adapt, improvise, overcome!

J. Morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2015, 11:29 AM   #8
1 Rivet Member

1975 23' Safari
El Dorado Hills , California
Any tricks how to polish around the raised letters? A very tedious and time consuming task to say the least.
yesiflyrc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2015, 01:40 PM   #9
3 Rivet Member

2007 25' Classic
San Luis Obispo , California
Letters

My 66 Overlander has the individual letters as well but mine do not seem to ne chrome plated. Were they originally painted all over? What color? I used blue on the inset portion of each letter but needs redoing. Thx in advance for any input.
slofoks is offline   Reply With Quote