1955 22' Safari
Valley View , Texas
Send a message via Skype™ to Melody Ranch
Is the work on the 1966 or thew 1986?

Old 04-12-2015, 11:08 AM   #16
Rivet Master

1971 21' Globetrotter
Arvada , Colorado
How hot did you get the aluminum? When tempered aluminum gets to hot it will turn brown as the tempering changes. I really doubt that it has anything to do with the alclad, even if any is left. Bare 2024-T3 will polish up the same as alclad. To much Heat may be the problem here

Aerowood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2015, 07:11 PM   #17
Rivet Master

1986 34' Limited
1966 24' Tradewind
Conifer , Colorado
I spent 5 hours compounding at 1400 rpm, wool bonnet with Nuvite C. As advertised, it is more aggressive than F7. At least the swirl marks obliterated the hazy streaks some, making me feel better. When I Cyclo the swirls away, the streaks will still be there. But I think I did reduce them a little. It is amazing how the Nuvite polish will stick in the streaks. You can really see them when they turn black.

Maybe a clue. The streaks are more prone on the corner skins, front and rear, as well as the lower side skins below the window line. These surfaces "oil can" when pressed against with the polisher. Are these streaks due to some type of over stress condition due to the "oil canning"?

Thank you Aerowood for your interest. You are our local aluminum expert! I don't know how hot the surface may have become. I know I have stupidly left the door open on my 86 with the furnace running. A spot on the door got real hot due to the furnace exhaust. Too hot to touch, but no stains. I had gloves on while polishing. We used to anneal aluminum castings at 250 degrees for several hours, then air cool of course. I don't think I was that hot for enough time to anneal a spot. The shop temp was about 60 degrees. I felt the aluminum and it did not feel hot through my rubber gloves. But it was warm as I would expect. I do have a couple three "brown stains" where either the polish carrier or the buffer caused the stain. My main problem is the hazy streaks. Scores of them. Maybe my Airstream should be called the Silver Streak! Maybe there is a morse code message written into it? _ _ _ _ - - - .... ~ ~ ~

Aerowood, ever hear of "undercast" due to polishing? I haven't learned what that is yet. Do you think alumninum brightener would be beneficial.

Melody Ranch. You have polished a lot of Airstreams. What do you think?

I'm going to Cyclo with F7 and move on to other projects. S polish really makes the streaks stand out. I'll park it under the maple tree all summer and watch the rain, dirt, leaves, birds, hail and the like diminish the polish and then maybe the streaks won't be so noticeable.

I can't imagine I'm the only Jestco system polisher that has had these hazy streaks. Reinergirl had a few. They were there after the gray bar. The pink won't touch them. Maybe I had a defective bar of gray. Maybe I had defective cotton buffs. Maybe I polished to slow and methodical. Maybe 2200 rpm is too fast. Maybe I should have wet sanded the corrosion off first. Maybe the skins weren't clean enough when I started. Maybe I should have held the polisher in my left hand instead of right hand.

I haven't figured this out yet.

David
Old 04-13-2015, 05:33 AM   #18
Restorations done right
Commercial Member

1962 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Baltimore , Maryland
You have gotten a lot of advice. Much of it different. Sorting what is correct(for you) and what is not, is going to be as big a challenge as getting rid of the streaks.

I said it before, this is an issue in the metal. It is caused by the skin oxidizing differently in one area than the other. Sometimes you have to live with it. You could always replace the skin. You are not going to polish this away with nuvite diamond brite, or anything. The aluminum brightener was the best advice you got. I use it between every step. Neutralizing the acid is very important. It will not be your magic bullet however.
Frank's Trailer Works is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2015, 01:45 PM   #19
Rivet Master

1971 21' Globetrotter
Arvada , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbj216 View Post

Aerowood, ever hear of "undercast" due to polishing? I haven't learned what that is yet. Do you think alumninum brightener would be beneficial.

David
I have never heard of "undercast"
The brighteners that I have used, are just an acid to remove surface oxidation and any shine that you might have. Of the types I have used I don't see any benefit to polishing but I am no expert here on polishing, and the brighter that I have used is more industrial in nature and should be used very cautiously on any riveted surfaces
Aerowood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2015, 02:33 PM   #20
GlamperGirl

David, I think it is the high RPM that causes problems. I have read so much about polishing and the common theme is LOW RPM. Pressure for sure another factor. Angle of the polisher. As Frank says, the condition of the aluminum is the root of the evil at the end of the day.
Old 04-13-2015, 02:37 PM   #21
Always learning

1972 29' Ambassador
1962 19' Globetrotter
1951 21' Flying Cloud
Central , Texas
Send a message via Yahoo to Top
It looks like undercast to me. I would acid wash, re-polish and if it isn't good enough, replace that panel.

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums

Work is never done, so take time to play!
Top is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2015, 03:25 PM   #22
Always learning

1972 29' Ambassador
1962 19' Globetrotter
1951 21' Flying Cloud
Central , Texas
Send a message via Yahoo to Top
Some good info here if you haven't already read it.
http://www.perfectpolish.com/polishing_tips.html

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums

Work is never done, so take time to play!
Top is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2015, 04:37 PM   #23
Rivet Master

1986 34' Limited
1966 24' Tradewind
Conifer , Colorado
Thanks Top and Aerowood. The embedded polish sounds like the culprit on my Trade Wind. I have some aluminum brightener (phosphoric acid) and might try it on one of my milky gray streaks. It might etch the metal enough to get back to base aluminum. I might try my G-6 too and see if I can't scratch the streak off.

The Perfect Polish website is helpful. Thank you for the link.

I'll report back if I have any luck.

David
Old 04-17-2015, 08:25 PM   #24
GlamperGirl

Looking forward to a polishing weekend? I'm attempting my riveting shell to chassis
Old 05-07-2015, 08:14 AM   #25
Rivet Master

1986 34' Limited
1966 24' Tradewind
Conifer , Colorado
Well, I tried compounding at 1400 rpm with F7 to no avail. I then decided to cyclo with F7 as I must move out of my rented garage space.

The Jestco system is a disaster for me. I believe I followed the instructions and followed the You Tube videos I reviewed. I have polished aluminum car parts with a cotton wheel and "rouge" in the past with good success. And I did my 86 with the Nuvite compounding method with good success. Nuvite was out of product last winter, so I decided to try Jestco. I wish I hadn't.

I don't know the cause of the marks. It is the Jestco gray bar, the cotton buff, or my technique; one of those three. If my technique was wrong, e.g. too much pressure, too much speed, to slow to travel, too much polish, too much raking, etc, etc. The pattern of the marks makes me think they happen after I rake the buffer, "re-charge" it with gray polish, and start polishing again. Maybe I was lucky enough to get a bad bar of Jestco gray polish.

I caution other hobbyists like me to stick with Nuvite compounding with wool pads. When I first saw the marks, I figured it was areas where I had missed. The pink Jestco polish does not remove the marks. I thought it might.

I have some "aluminum brightener" and will experiment with it once I get the trailer home. The bottle of brightener I have says it is not for sheet aluminum. I suspect it will brighten up my cast aluminum wheels. Acid etching and then starting over with polishing does not sound very appealing. Compounding with G6 and starting over with polishing doesn't sound appealing either. Maybe a summer in the rain, birds, trees, gravel roads, and hail will dull the finish enough making the Jestco marks less visible. Maybe touch up cyclo with S will blend the marks with time. We'll see.

I can distinguish no difference in surface finish between the marks and polished aluminum. The marks attract Nuvite polish residue and are difficult to remove polish residue, similar to pits, dents and scratches. It would be interesting to have a microscopic metallurgical analysis of the marks versus polished surfaces. Maybe we would see the marks are where the Alclad is removed. Maybe base 2042 T3 aluminum doesn't like to be polished. I have never known a piece of aluminum that can't be polished.

I'll let you know if I find a way to diminish the marks. It is interesting how the flash of my camera really makes the marks pop out. At some angles I can't see the marks at all. You have to get in the right light.

David - really bummed!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1504 Jestco Marks Street Side.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	213.0 KB
ID:	237944  
Old 05-07-2015, 12:01 PM   #26
Rivet Master

1966 26' Overlander
Woodstock , Georgia
tried wet sanding? Attempt on one spot and see what you get.

AIR #005
Please visit our blogs and web pages:
OUR AIRSTREAM PASSION! BLOG
RESTORING AN AIRSTREAM
Our AIRSTREAM and TIN CAN TOURIST Rallys
ALANSD is offline   Reply With Quote