Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-05-2008, 02:57 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

2007 25' International CCD FB
Gahanna , Ohio
Is it taboo to wash your AS at a campsite?

Hello,

I haven't seen this issue addressed in campground rules, so one would ask, can we wash our trailer at a campground or is that a taboo thing one just does not do in the campground?

yakman
yakman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2008, 03:01 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1986 25' Sovereign
Southern Middle , Tennessee
I've only seen one trailer being washed on a campsite pad and thought it was out of the ordinary. My first thought was why didn't they take it to a car wash or wash it in their yard? I don't know about others but it might leave a mess that someone behind me might have to clean up. I just don't do it.

AIR #0078
'01 2500hd ext. cab, 8.1 litre gas, 5 sp. Allison auto
3.73 rear end
Mag-Hytec rear diff cover
Amsoil Dual by-pass oil filtration system
Amsoil synthetics all around
265 watt AM Solar, Inc. system
davidz71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2008, 03:02 PM   #3
Head Animal Wrangler

2010 19' International
2015 Interstate Ext. Coach
Los Osos , California
Yes. It usually is taboo.
Some campgrounds and RV parks have signs posted saying it is not allowed.

BamCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2008, 03:03 PM   #4
Site Team

2002 25' Safari
Dewey , Arizona
That would be up to the campground. If I had a campground I would not allow it, but that's just me. You would be using a bunch of the campgrounds water and the soapy water off the trailer has to go somewhere. The guy in the spot next door might not be happy if the soapy water pooled under his trailer.

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2008, 03:10 PM   #5
_

. , .
really depends on the campground...

many of those where it is prohibited include the 'no no' with the list of other things, like dog poop.

but not all make it obvious.

IF i don't see it listed in the rules or on the office WALL, i assume it's ok.

till told otherwise, and this has ONLY happened once while in the act of washing.

some places i've camped have "NO WASHING CARS/TRUCKS" posted, but are ok with the rv bath.

i think some private park owners go through phases and change their 'rules' based on abuse by some campers...

or even day of the week (since weekdays many campgrounds are much less occupied) i never do it on friday/saturday...

i've even been in parks that have "OK TO WASH, PLEASE PAY US 5$" signs...

and parks that have designated sites for washing, with built in drainage for the water and an 'upcharge' for those sites...

the big surprise (for me) is the number of state parks where it's OK to wash, but they don't encourage it...

i've even got a short list of commercial parks that have signs and advertise that "YES u can wash your rv here"...

with ~ 55 gallons of fresh water on board, i can JUST do a washing at the rv storage lot after a long dirty trip...

cheers
2air'

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2008, 03:28 PM   #6
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
We live in an RV park, so our circumstances are slightly different from most vacationers. In our park, they have a reclaimed water system throughout the place, with one purple-colored spigot for every 4 or so spaces. Washing RVs is permitted here, as long as you use the stuff that comes out of the purple taps. And I have used it to wash Bertha.
Old 07-05-2008, 03:55 PM   #7
3 Rivet Member

2004 28' International CCD
tampa , Florida
i've washed ours on occassion at a state park and here's the biggest reason why. We live in an urban area and our AS is stored about 15 miles away so it's not terribly convenient to get to it just to wash it. I imagine there are many others like us who don't have the luxury of storing their AS in their back yard. So if you see me srcubbing away some time cut me some slack
kstampa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2008, 04:39 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2011 25' FB Flying Cloud
Anywhere & , Everywhere
Well where it is allowed I wash mine all the time. Unfortunately there are few commercial CGs that allow washing. But even some that have rules saying no washing will allow you to wash if you ask nicely first and if they aren't real busy. It never hurts to ask. State Parks, town and county parks etc very rarely have any prohibitions against washing and if the rules don't say no then as far as I'm concerned it's OK. Only problem with the latter is that some do not have water hookups. And there is no prohibition against washing at the Terraport in Jackson Center!
Al - K4GLU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2008, 06:14 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1986 25' Sovereign
Southern Middle , Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by kstampa View Post
i've washed ours on occassion at a state park and here's the biggest reason why. We live in an urban area and our AS is stored about 15 miles away so it's not terribly convenient to get to it just to wash it. I imagine there are many others like us who don't have the luxury of storing their AS in their back yard. So if you see me srcubbing away some time cut me some slack
Your secret is safe with me. I understand your situation and even those with covenants that won't even let you keep an RV on the property. Fortunately, I live in a small, but getting bigger, town that allows us to keep boats, trailers, etc. in the driveway or back yard. I digress since that was discussed in another thread.

AIR #0078
'01 2500hd ext. cab, 8.1 litre gas, 5 sp. Allison auto
3.73 rear end
Mag-Hytec rear diff cover
Amsoil Dual by-pass oil filtration system
Amsoil synthetics all around
265 watt AM Solar, Inc. system
davidz71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2008, 08:30 PM   #10
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

1962 19' Globetrotter
1963 19' Globetrotter
1961 19' Globetrotter
Wheat Ridge , Colorado
A shinny trailer is a happy trailer! If anyone ask just say "with the price of gas these days I find a cleaner Airstream gives me better gas mileage!" Then just smile at the SOB and continue to wash~!
Instagram #Vinstream
vinstream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2008, 08:47 PM   #11
4 Rivet Member

2019 28' International
Leonardtown , Maryland
We just finished a 3 month, 8,000 mile trip around the country and I have not seen one CG that allows someone to wash an RV. They did have private parties authorized to come in with their owen water and wash your trailer for a nominal fee. I had mine washed several times, the washers did a good job for a reasonable price.

dale

Rebee - WBCCI #1325
2002 Classic Ltd 30'
2007 Dodge 2500, 6.7 Cummins
Rebee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2008, 09:33 PM   #12
3 Rivet Member

2007 25' International CCD FB
Gahanna , Ohio
I can certainly see the need to clean the ol' trailer up while on a long road trip. An extended road trip would leave the trailer pretty dirty. With the loads of rain we camped in early last week, the runoff from a quick wash shouldn't seem to harm anyone. I can't imagine having to use a car wash you may stumble upon. We have a car wash near the house but I will not touch the AS with a high pressure wand. Plus, the layout of the parking lot would not allow me to pull the truck through the bay and get the trailer out the other side.

It sounds like some CG's seem to recognize the need for fulltimers to clean their trailer.

What do travelers with the big pushers use to clean their RV's? Do they go to a semi-truck/truck stop wash? Most pushers I see seem to be pretty spic 'n span clean and I can't imagine many of those owners up on a ladder putting on the elbow grease.

yakman
yakman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2008, 09:40 PM   #13
Rivet Master

Airstream - Other
2016 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Bosque Farms , New Mexico
We permit it if the owner will promise not to use a ton of water, making a major puddle. But there are always a few out there who seem to think that a couple hundred gallons of water is necessary to clean off the bugs. Noooooooo, Mama! Not in these parts of the country!

Lynn
Old 07-05-2008, 10:17 PM   #14

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
Lucy usually gets her road baths at a commercial car wash, but we have washed her at a campground on two occasions. Once we paid a $3 fee for the extra water use. The other time, we were about the only campers in the campground, and the owners told us to just go ahead and give Lucy a bath there.
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with ProPride
2020 Silverado 2500 (Vivian)
2023 Rivian R1T (Opal)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2008, 11:56 PM   #15
Rivet Master

2006 19' Safari SE
Tucson , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by yakman View Post
...snip...

What do travelers with the big pushers use to clean their RV's? Do they go to a semi-truck/truck stop wash? Most pushers I see seem to be pretty spic 'n span clean and I can't imagine many of those owners up on a ladder putting on the elbow grease.

yakman
Many of the larger truck stops on interstate routes have washing facilities for semi trucks with tall clearances and even scaffolds to get up high enough. It's a great place to clean up while on the road...
AirForums #21900
PastPrez, 4CU/WBCCI
TBRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2008, 06:15 AM   #16
HDS
2 Rivet Member

It seems to me to be a little inconsiderate. I wouldn't want to camp in a car wash. It's bad enough having to clean up after dogs and pick up the last guy's trash without having to be in mud and mess from washing a trailer. Many quarter car washes have a bay thats big enough for large trucks, why not use that? The pressure should be better that you'll get from a hose at a campground, and anyway, camping is for leisure, beer and napping, not working. Your Airstream looks better dirty than most folks clean SOB.
HDS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2008, 08:04 AM   #17
Rivet Master

2005 28' International CCD
Willoughby , Ohio
The campground where we keep our AS during the summer allows washing, which we do twice a year.

We stayed at a KOA in Sault Ste. Marie Ontario that had an area in the campground where you could pull your TT and wash it there - concrete pad, drain, water supply.

Other than those two, the answer is usually no, although I've seen some folks washing theirs using a 2-gallon garden sprayer - minimal water use and no puddling.
2005 28' CCD, 2011 Sierra 5.3L, Equal-I-Zer
Empty Nesters - spending our money on OURSELVES for a change!
Steve & Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2008, 09:51 AM   #18
Rivet Master

1969 25' Tradewind
Irmo , South Carolina
I've been known to spray off the bottom couple of feet of mine after a particularly hard rain on a non-paved campsite that had splattered sand up onto the skin. However, the ground was already wet and I didn't use soap, just the water hose. I just think it's a bit incinsiderate to break out buckets of soap and start spraying water everywhere in a campground. Go to your local car wash and have a look at all the soap and road grime that has dried on the concrete. Do you really want to camp in the middle of that?
AIR #8891
Unrestored 1969 25' Tradewind
Overkill Tow Vehicle of the Year Award:
2001 GMC 3500 4x4 Dually 6.6L Duramax
Journalist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2008, 10:23 AM   #19
tpi
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Trabuco Canyon , California
Its generally not done in RV parks due to the tight packing of spaces. Runoff and spray being the problem.

But..there are parks which allow it and have specific areas for washing. Betabel Rv park near Gilroy CA. is an example.

Best thing is to ask at each stop. Offer a few $ for water and ask if there is an uncrowded area of the park you can camp in, or a designated wash area.

I'll do a little spot cleaning in ordinary sites, but not with a hose..
tpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2008, 12:00 PM   #20
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Cleveland , Tennessee
Rinse jobs

I try to use a truck wash located near truck stops for my MH. I can't wash her at home as I full time. I have been known to rinse off the road dust with a hose from time to time. Try to be frugal with the water & no one will complain. There was only once when I was confronted about this. I had started with the front so I said was just cleaning off the bugs from the windsheild for safety. As an occasional campground host, I encourage you to ask about rinsing if there is a sign that forbids washng it.
3 Dog Nite is offline   Reply With Quote