Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Exterior Restoration Forum > Cleaning, Stripping & Polishing
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-02-2008, 12:05 PM   #21
2 Rivet Member

2008 22' Sport
Lemon Grove , California
You're supposed to wash these things?
Old 08-02-2008, 02:31 PM   #22
4 Rivet Member

2007 27' International CCD FB
Everett , Washington
Depends on the campground...

Most campgrounds don't like it. However, there are always exceptions...

At one campground we asked the owner and he said yes. It was a small private one (farm campground -- very rural). He just asked that we not waste too much water. Afterward we slipped him some extra cash as a thank you. It's only fair...water does cost $$

It's something you gotta feel out. And always be frugal with the campground's resources.
WBCCI #4018

Just call us Jean & Bill :-)
HankandLois is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2008, 07:15 PM   #23
1 Rivet Member

2007 25' International CCD FB
Alexandria , Virginia
I full-time and most places I stay do not allow washing. However, I have found a compromise...
I fill up a bucket (my garbage can) with soapy (biodegradeable) water. With a sponge I wash one area at a time and follow with a clean towel to dry. Although I do not use water to rinse, my soap leaves no residue and I get 95% of the dirt off. It also leaves little clean up for me and no mess for the next camper. None of the campgrounds seem to mind when I use this method.
Hope it helps.
fullairtime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2008, 07:31 PM   #24
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by fullairtime View Post
I full-time and most places I stay do not allow washing. However, I have found a compromise...
I fill up a bucket (my garbage can) with soapy (biodegradeable) water. With a sponge I wash one area at a time and follow with a clean towel to dry. Although I do not use water to rinse, my soap leaves no residue and I get 95% of the dirt off. It also leaves little clean up for me and no mess for the next camper. None of the campgrounds seem to mind when I use this method.
Hope it helps.
Yes, this is what I do too. That two gallon bug sprayer bottle - plastic cheapo - works wonders too. I use a small bucket of soapy water for greasy dirty areas and stubborn dried on bugs, plain water squirted on and wiped off gently with a series of clean microfiber towels for all other areas. I use about a dozen or more towels, because they can pickup grit from wiping down the A/S and I don't want to create scratches. I do have a "mega towel" for the roof. Actually I sewed four of the small towels sewn together end to end. I can't reach all the way across, so I just sling the towel out, and drag it back. It even gets most of the crud off of the skylight, and the rest - well who can see it anyway?

Do be stingy about using soap. Most have ammonia which clouds up all plastics, including your lexan stone guards and your running lights. It might even prematurely age your clearcoat.

Paula
Old 08-02-2008, 09:42 PM   #25
More than one rivet loose

Currently Looking...
Los Alamos , New Mexico
le green is bad as well.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foiled Again View Post

Do be stingy about using soap. Most have ammonia which clouds up all plastics, including your lexan stone guards and your running lights. It might even prematurely age your clearcoat.

Paula
Ammonia and aluminum mix very well in a bad way. They react. Avoid anything ammonia! Simple green is bad as well.

Looking for a 1962 Flying Cloud

thecatsandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2008, 08:22 AM   #26
Rivet Master

1969 25' Tradewind
Irmo , South Carolina
I've found that a good car wash soap works great. BTW, avoid dish soaps completely. They will strip every last bit of wax from your finish.
AIR #8891
Unrestored 1969 25' Tradewind
Overkill Tow Vehicle of the Year Award:
2001 GMC 3500 4x4 Dually 6.6L Duramax
Journalist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2008, 09:22 AM   #27
Rivet Master

2011 34' Classic
Westchester Cty.NY , / Miami FL
if you soap up when it's raining, does that count as taboo?
Ingrid-my unofficial '"World's Oldest Streamer" 1909-2008 R.I.P.
richinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2008, 11:40 AM   #28
1 Rivet Member

2007 27' Classic FB
Todd , North Carolina
I wash my 27FB at the campsite. I first get prepared with a 5 gal bucket of soapy water. I use a long handled brush with hose connection. When I start, I can very quickly wash and rinse as I go around. Does not use a huge amount of water and does not "flood" the area around the pad. If I am detailing an area, I will wash only the area to be detailed, e.g., the front gravel guards. A clean Airstream is a happy Airstream. Buddy
evsjr is offline   Reply With Quote