Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Exterior Restoration Forum > Cleaning, Stripping & Polishing
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-31-2008, 07:05 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

2017 27' Flying Cloud
Columbus , Indiana
Info on Washing with Simple Green

One of the threads here on AIRForums tweaked my interest so I checked the Simple Green Company's website concerning washing aluminum. There is a new Simple Green Car Wash but I still wasn't sure about using it on aluminum so I sent an email to the company and received a prompt reply:

"Theresa Provolt <tprovolt@simplegreen.com> wrote:

Thank you for contacting Simple Green and for your interest in Simple Green products. The best product available for cleaning aluminum trailers would be Simple Green Pro HD. This is a product that was initially developed for the aircraft industry, to clean aluminum surfaces, high tech alloys, plastic and rubber parts. It has been tested, thoroughly and has proven to be non-corrosive to aluminum.

The original Simple Green product that you are obviously familiar with has been used to clean aluminum for many years. If used according to directions it is safe for use on aluminum. It is used at a high dilution ratio, combined with long contact times, the product can be corrosive to aluminum. The recommended dilution ratio for cleaning aluminum trailers is 1:30 with a contact time of 5 minutes or less. Of course it is never a good idea to allow any cleaning product dry onto a surface.

Simple Green Car Wash is fine for cleaning aluminum trailers also. Just be sure to follow the directions and give a good rinse.

I hope that this information is helpful to you. If you have further questions about this or other Simple Green products or uses, please feel free to contact me directly. My contact information is provided below and my regular business hours are Mon thru Fri from 8 – 5 Pacific Standard Time.

Thank you again for your inquiry.

Sincerely,

Theresa Provolt

Technical and Customer Liaison

Simple Green

15922 Pacific Coast Highway

Huntington Harbour , CA 92649

(800)228-0709 ext 6091"

In my reply requesting permission to post her email on these forums, I also asked if the Pro product is biodegradable. Here is the response:

"We would be happy for you to post this response on the Airstreams Forum. Additionally, you can add that Simple Green Pro HD is non-toxic and biodegradable. The name of the original product that was developed for the Aircraft industry is Extreme Simple Green® Aircraft & Precision Cleaner. This product is still available through industrial distributors such as Grainger, Aircraft Spruce & RS Hughes.

Please let me know if I can provide any more information about these or other Simple Green products or uses.

Thanks again!

Theresa R. Provolt"
Old 03-31-2008, 08:03 PM   #2

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
Thanx for the info. I have used SAimple Green for as the only known disolver of ink jet ink.
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with ProPride
2020 Silverado 2500 (Vivian)
2023 Rivian R1T (Opal)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2008, 08:15 PM   #3
Naysayer

1968 24' Tradewind
Russellville , earth
So why is simple green better than say, dish soap for washing?

Visit my photography and painting website
https://rooseveltfineart.com
Instagram is r.w.roosevelt

Boondocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2008, 08:19 PM   #4
3 Rivet Member

2017 27' Flying Cloud
Columbus , Indiana
Found on the Simple Green Website:

"Pro Series Simple Green Retailers

Below is a list of United States retailers that carry Pro Series Simple Green products. Click on the retailer's name to find a store near you. Not all stores are guaranteed to carry Pro Series Simple Green.
Auto Barn - Long Island, NY
Auto Zone - Nationwide
Blain's Farm & Fleet - Midwest
Daiei Automotive - Hawaii
Longs Drug - West Coast
Meijer - MI, IN, OH, IL, PA
Murray's Discount Auto - Midwest
NAPA - Nationwide
National Auto Stores – PA
Orchard Supply Hardware (Automotive Department)
Ozark/O'Reilly Automotive Stores - Nationwide
Pep Boys - Nationwide
Raley's
Trak Auto
VIP Discount Auto - ME"
Old 03-31-2008, 08:27 PM   #5
3 Rivet Member

2017 27' Flying Cloud
Columbus , Indiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gen Disarray
So why is simple green better than say, dish soap for washing?
I don't have the information to answer that question. "What to wash the A/S with" has been discussed on more than one other thread, in my memory. Several of those threads led us to believe that Simple Green is not one of the good options. I am merely sharing the discovery that maybe Simple Green does make at least one specific product in it's line that can be used on aluminum. My guess is that there is likely more than one fan of Simple Green products on these forums that would like to have the information.
Old 03-31-2008, 08:34 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1975 Argosy 26
1963 24' Tradewind
Seattle , Washington
Wait! I've used Simple Green before on bare aluminum, and it took off the shine. I'd test a bit on a small part before doing it the whole trailer.

I use it all the time on my coated wheels without issue however.
Good luck!
Marc
3Ms75Argosy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2008, 08:38 PM   #7
3 Rivet Member

2017 27' Flying Cloud
Columbus , Indiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3Ms75Argosy
Wait! I've used Simple Green before on bare aluminum, and it took off the shine. I'd test a bit on a small part before doing it the whole trailer.

I use it all the time on my coated wheels without issue however.
Good luck!
Marc
I'm curious...Did you use the Simple Green Pro HD? It seems to be a different product than regular simple green. I do agree with you, it seems prudent to test it on a small area, first.

On edit: Also note that we have not tried this on our A/S. Though I think we might...on a small area first.
I am neither endorsing or disclaiming this product...merely sharing information received from the company!
Old 03-31-2008, 10:42 PM   #8
Tom O

1966 17' Caravel
Altadena , California
Aircraft Simple Green

If you are at all concerned about the regular Simple Green products they do make one specifically for aircraft. It is my understanding the the regular stuff tended to etch aluminium, after it was soaked in full strength simple green for an extended period. The formula was modified and additional tests conducted which indicated that the new formulation did not etch aluminium. I can't remember if the testing was done for the FAA or Defense Department, but the new stuff is approved for use on aircraft.

CA-7
Toldfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2008, 12:15 AM   #9
Rivet Master

1975 Argosy 26
1963 24' Tradewind
Seattle , Washington
the stuff at costco.....regular
Marc
3Ms75Argosy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2008, 06:35 AM   #10
Rivet Master

2008 30' Classic S/O
Dearborn , Michigan
good stuff... thanks!
boondockdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2008, 06:43 AM   #11
Rivet Master

2016 23' International
Centennial , Colorado
Interesting thread! Thanks for the information!!
Old 04-01-2008, 09:21 AM   #12
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
I've been using Armor All Car Wash and haven't seen any issues. If you use the regular simple green, like with any cleaning agent, do it in sections, not leaving anything on the skin for more than a few minutes...rinse, dry and you're off.
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2008, 08:22 AM   #13
1 Rivet Member

1958 22' Flying Cloud
1993 34' Limited
Quartzsite , Arizona
We have been using the old blue Dawn diswashing soap and it works great on the silver and the autos. It rinses well without any residue (depends on the person rinsing). We have diluted simple green in a spray bottle to use on tires and wheels. It cleans well with the help of a scrub brush, but, requires a good rinse. We'll have to try the Pro HD. It will have to be a good price to replace Dawn. Thanks for the info Mrs. Redshed! Have a great day.
freedom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2008, 11:11 AM   #14
2 Rivet Member

1954 25' Cruiser
1977 27' Overlander
1990 34.5' Airstream 345
VC Highlands , Nevada
Interior

I used Simple Green on the entire INTERIOR of Buttercup. The 70s plastic interior was coated with sticky gunk and dirt. It came off easily and looks beautiful now.

I used a toothbrush! And then rinsed with a sponge and warm water.

We just came back from Death Valley and the outside is covered with dust and mud from the road. Thanks for the info. I'm going to give it a try.

Kimber
WALLY54 1954 Cruiser #11281
Buttercup 77 Overlander #17330
1990 345-LE MoHo Classic #7830
Air #
WALLY 54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2008, 10:38 PM   #15
1 Rivet Member

1964 26' Overlander
Reno , Nevada
Buttercup? Is that your trailer's name? I like it. I noticed you live in the VC Highlands. I live in the VC lowlands. (foothills) If you have done any extensive work inside I'd love some feedback on where to start. I just picked up my not yet named overlander and am going to start the restoration process. I just finished polishing the outside and am ready to begin the interior. Happy travels! Sean
Croverlander is offline   Reply With Quote