Old 01-29-2015, 07:45 AM   #15
4 Rivet Member

1967 17' Caravel
Cumming , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moflash View Post
The brightner I suggested is made for riveted and calked applications.I have used it on such for years and they still float after application.Lol

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums

I agree with Moflash once again. If using a proper aluminum brightener properly no damage will occur. I've been using it for years and have used it in the past week. I know many other that have used it as well. People used to use to use hydrofluoric acid and not dilute it properly AND rinse completely...basically, like anything else, following instructions. Some even rinse with baking soda/water. See post 6 at http://www.airforums.com/forums/f441...s-94989-2.html Although aluminum brighteners have acid in them...it is specifically made for this purpose.

Aluminox Aluminum Brightener and Cleaner

I still say...an acid washed trailer with a polished stripe would be cool...I looked but didn't find one on the net. This aluminum bodied Cobra has been polished then the stripes were acid washed into it.

http://car-from-uk.com/ebay/carphoto...ebay769041.jpg

Thanks! G

As someone said I think on this or another forum:
"I don't always tow a travel trailer, but when I do, I tow an Airstream or an Apache or a Coleman"...stay thirsty my friends.
StreaminGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2015, 11:52 AM   #16
1 Rivet Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Bellingham , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by StreaminGuy View Post
I agree with Moflash once again. If using a proper aluminum brightener properly no damage will occur. I've been using it for years and have used it in the past week. I know many other that have used it as well. People used to use to use hydrofluoric acid and not dilute it properly AND rinse completely...basically, like anything else, following instructions. Some even rinse with baking soda/water. See post 6 at http://www.airforums.com/forums/f441...s-94989-2.html Although aluminum brighteners have acid in them...it is specifically made for this purpose.

Aluminox Aluminum Brightener and Cleaner

I still say...an acid washed trailer with a polished stripe would be cool...I looked but didn't find one on the net. This aluminum bodied Cobra has been polished then the stripes were acid washed into it.

http://car-from-uk.com/ebay/carphoto...ebay769041.jpg

Thanks! G
There's some great ideas here! I like the idea of polishing a small area (someday...) For now I'll experiment with some of these cleaners so we can go get it on the road! Thanks.

Old 01-29-2015, 09:26 PM   #17
Rivet Master

2007 28' International CCD
Springfield , Missouri
I have had a few of those Kirkham Cobra's and they come two ways one is as shown and the other is reversed that being brushed aluminum with polished stripes.Cool cars!

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums