Old 04-27-2006, 09:36 AM   #15

1968 24' Tradewind
Louisville , earth
Send a message via Yahoo to Boondocker
Originally Posted by Blu_Hwy_Lady

That made me wonder about following one at night. My boyfriend is a truck driver and one time when I went on the road with him, another trucker "chided" (polite word) him for the shiny quilted finish on the back doors of the truck reflecting back at him. My boyfriend took it in stride but remarked that in some states DOT regs prohibit a certain level of reflection on the backdoors of big rigs.

So, I'm wondering about the safety for other drivers with a mirror finish and bright sunlight. Thoughts and opinions?
The complaining truck driver might find it safer if he wasn't on the bummper of the vehicle in front of him......

Visit my photography page
and the
Favorite camp grounds project map
My Blog

(The artist formerly known as General Disarray)

Boondocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2006, 08:48 PM   #16
Rivet Master

1975 31' Sovereign
1973 27' Overlander
1977 23' Safari
Palmer Lake , Colorado
Send a message via Skype™ to Zeppelinium
soak your pads in a solution of "stuff" (I'm on the road and can't look at the box) that is used to get wallpaper paste off the wall. You can get it at Home Depot. Works great, just squeeze them out and run clear water over them a couple times and let 'em dry.
The stuff is T.S.P (trisodium phosphate). Get it on your hands and it's like soap in soft water--takes five rises to get the slick off. I think I've seen it in a liquid form, but I get it in a box like powdered detergent and mix it myself.

Zeppelinium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2008, 06:16 PM   #17
1978 31' Excella 500
Silverado , California
Hi. I live in Modjeska Canyon, not far from you. My 78 Excella 500 needs a polish, I have a polisher, but do you know where I can get the Nuvite locally?
Regards. David Stokes. (
stokes cyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2008, 06:47 PM   #18
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
1955 22' Safari
Great Lake State , .
Originally Posted by sigv View Post
I have a 24' 1963 tradewind that is pretty weathered and am getting ready for my first shot at polising. Read the guide on Vintage Trailer Supply and I believe I need the following:
  • Nuvite Polish: F7 - Coarse
  • Nuvite Polish: C - Medium
  • Nuvite Polish: S - Very Fine
They come in 1 lb, 1/2 lb and 1/4 lb. How much of each should I buy?? Does this stuff last for a long time?Also - I need to buy a Dewalt 849 - I see them on Amazon for $172 (they do not sell them at Vintage Trailer Supply). Anybody got a better place to buy one?

Lastly - will this kit on Amazon handle my pad needs for the job?

Much thanks!

Go to this site and follow it to a tee, and you will get professional results.

This was my cost when polishing our 65 Caravel

$200.00 scaffolding
$270.00 cyclo polisher
$200.00 nuvite
$170.00 compounding drill
$48.00 cyclo wraps
$15.00 microfiber
$25.00 pad kit
$48.00 compounding kit
$35.00 small compounding kit
$26.00 gel gloss

Total $1037.00
toastie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2008, 11:37 AM   #19
1 Rivet Member
San Diego , California
The dewalt Vair speed is the way to go but why is no one using green or brown rouge with a flannel wheel
got polish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2008, 07:32 PM   #20
1 Rivet Member
Edwardsburg , Michigan
Nuvite works

Originally Posted by got polish View Post
The dewalt Vair speed is the way to go but why is no one using green or brown rouge with a flannel wheel
I can only speak from my experience but we have used rouge bars on metal/aluminum before and it was not as easy to use as the Nuvite. Also more expensive and didn't get the results we got on our recent project.

I didn't want to risk getting poor results on a museum piece so we went all out with the Nuvite line and Cyclo polisher. My vote is with Nuvite for any future projects. Have to order from out of state but haven't seen results like this with anything else.

We also use the Dewalt with braided wool pads.

MHenry is offline   Reply With Quote