Old 02-18-2015, 08:16 AM   #1
3 Rivet Member
1961 22' Safari
Portland , Oregon
How far should I go to remove pitting on inside skins?

So I stripped the Zolatone, and then scrubbed and scrubbed with 0000 steel wool. I got some Airbrite course grade yesterday and went at it with my 7" 4000rpm polisher.

The panel starts to look shiny and great right away, but there is some pits that go pretty deep. My '61 has the Alclad but I can't remember if it's only on the outside. If it's on the inside too I know I don't want to polish through it. It also would take forever so I would need to re-tool with something more abrasive I think. I hang with a little bit of a distressed pitted look or try to go deep? In the pic you can see the pitting in the reflection of my florescent shop light.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20150217_161445_020.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	161.6 KB
ID:	232672  

'61 Safari
Airwave503 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2015, 10:08 PM   #2
3 Rivet Member
1962 19' Globetrotter
Vancouver , British Columbia
I'm also at the exact same point wondering if I should start wetsanding, will do a complete pass with the black compound bar and see how good I can get it

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums

Stupidnoob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2015, 11:59 PM   #3
Rivet Master
Commercial Member
1962 19' Globetrotter
1963 19' Globetrotter
1961 19' Globetrotter
Wheat Ridge , Colorado
Jason and Stupidnoob,
This is another reason I replace all internal panels with new ones. I find that the Zolatone eats through the alclad (yes it on both sides) throughout the years; Furthermore, Zolatone is tough stuff and needs more than chemicals to remove leaving scratches that polishing alone will not take out. Also there has not been a trailer yet from the early 60's that I haven't seen at least two or more major panels without large dings and dents. It's my theory that any 2024 alcad that got damaged skinning the outside was saved and used on the inside with the dents and major scrapes bondo and the Zolatones over.

I know it's not the answer your looking for but removing Zolatone and trying to polish is a lot of work and in the end time is money and it faster and cheaper to simply replace and recycle the old Alcad too the metal gods..
Wheat Ridge, Colorado
WBCCI # 1962
Instagram #Vinstream
vinstream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2015, 09:13 AM   #4
3 Rivet Member
1961 22' Safari
Portland , Oregon
Thanks Vin! Yeah, a LOT of work! I've concluded that I am going to stop at my 2 4'X12' ceiling panels and my back aluminum end cap. I've done 2 passes with Coarse and then Medium Airbrite and they look pretty nice. Tomorrow I pick up my first Cyclo and will hit them with Grade S Nuvite before putting them in. There will be some scratches and pits and I will point them and say yep, them's original! I haven't tried a sisal wheel with black bar and I may come back and hit some of the corroded spots later, or cut and patch.

Some areas or my ceiling panels were just nasty, like they had some invisible gunk...I think they were areas near the galley affected by years of someone frying up greasy dinners.

Good luck Noob, let us know how it goes. I put some 1000 grit on a DA sander and used with a spray bottle and it worked pretty well for the rough spots...

I'll post some pics when I get the skins back in.
'61 Safari
Airwave503 is offline   Reply With Quote