Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-11-2006, 07:50 PM   #21
Rivet Master

1984 28' Funeral Coach
Belleview , Florida
hey Rick & Sandi, there's a Blue Beacon down at I-95 in Milford at exit 40. Just make sure they don't use acid. I've used them while on the road. They're always curious when something other than an eighteen wheeler comes through. Just brief them ahead about low presure and watching the window direction if you have sliders. Often on the road I tip ahead.
Glen Coombe AIR #8416
1984 28' Funeral Coach
Former Rolling Showroom & PuttLab (now party bus)
"I'm not an expert. But I did sleep in an Airstream last night."
GlenCoombe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2006, 08:49 PM   #22
JBK
3 Rivet Member

1986 34.5' Airstream 345
Grand Rapids , Up in the Nort' Woods of Minn.
"I never go to Wal*Mart!"

Here here. Haven't missed it a bit in over 5 years.

JB
Old 12-20-2006, 09:10 AM   #23
3 Rivet Member

2005 31' Classic
Hughsonville , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by GlenCoombe
hey Rick & Sandi, there's a Blue Beacon down at I-95 in Milford at exit 40. Just make sure they don't use acid. I've used them while on the road. They're always curious when something other than an eighteen wheeler comes through. Just brief them ahead about low presure and watching the window direction if you have sliders. Often on the road I tip ahead.
I found a Blue Beacon not too far from me. It sure looks like a convenient way to get a quick and thorough cleaning for the Airstream. Anyone else have experience with Blue Beacon? I noted the warning by Glen to avoid their citric (acid) aluminium cleaner they advertise on their webpage, as well as asking for a low-pressure rinse. Too risky to use a commericial drive through like this? Or is this a safe place for an Airstream cleaning? I plan on at least taking a drive over today to see what their operation looks like.
Old 12-20-2006, 09:37 AM   #24
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
West of Fort Worth , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBK
"I never go to Wal*Mart!"

Here here. Haven't missed it a bit in over 5 years.

JB
No, I don't miss it either, I go in any time I need something.
Fyrzowt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2006, 09:50 AM   #25
Tom, the Uber Disney Fan

2006 30' Safari
Orlando , Florida
We had a beautiful mid-70's weekend this past weekend so I gave our Airstream its first end of season wash in prep for the Florida Can Opener Rally in a couple of weeks. I used a soft bristle brush on an extension arm made for washing cars/trucks and Zip Wash for automobiles that I had in my tool shed. After washing the curb side I moved to the street side that was in direct sun. It looked like I might be getting swirl marks from the brush. I haven't had chance to go back now that it has dried and do a double check. (It is dark before I get home every day.)
WBCCI# 4821
https://streaminacrossamerica.com/
Minnie's Mate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2006, 01:09 PM   #26
Old Paint, rolling again.

1973 Argosy 20
Lorain County , Ohio
I wash "Old Paint" and the tow vehicle with soap once a year whether they need it or not

Steve
Have you never questioned those who travel? Have you paid no regard to their accounts- Job 21:29
sfixx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2006, 03:40 PM   #27
Rivet Master

1984 28' Funeral Coach
Belleview , Florida
Dennis, go in and talk to them. They will tell you if you're going to find what you need. What you need is low pressure, non-acid, brush cleaning and then a low pressure rinse.... and you get the TV cleaned too.
Also ask them what the best time to show up is. They have crunch times just like any other business... don't go then.
When you get there for the wash talk to the guys before they start. Tell them your concerns, they've cleaned a few RV's before yours.... and likely an Airstream or two. Slip the guys a fin ($5) before they start.
Let us know how you make out.
Glen Coombe AIR #8416
1984 28' Funeral Coach
Former Rolling Showroom & PuttLab (now party bus)
"I'm not an expert. But I did sleep in an Airstream last night."
GlenCoombe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2006, 06:07 PM   #28
4 Rivet Member

2004 16' International CCD
Arcata , California
I just got an electric pressure washer for cleaning the moss off of my brick patio and found it works great on the Airstream too. Get the bugs off easily and also got the moss out of the tight spots along the trim. The pressure isn't as strong as a commercial sprayer so I feel good about it. I still have to use a soapy soft rag on it. And I ditto the suggestion to wipe in the direction of the "grain" of the aluminum. Are soft brushes really soft enough to use? Jamie
Turtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2006, 06:46 PM   #29
2 Rivet Member

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Ft. Myers , Florida
I'm a boat person so I use the shure hold system with the soft brush, won't scratch awlgrip, and a swabbit silicone squee gee. The swabbit will not harm the clear coat (it's recommended for use on bridge enclosures, eisen glass, strata glass, etc.) and will conform to curves. For soap I use Maguires gold, but I imagine any good quality car soap would work just fine. Hope this helps. --Mark--
S/OS #045 2006 GMC Sierra 2500 Duramax w/ Hensley Hitch, 15" GY Endurances and Tire Minders

--Mark and June-- "Every time I feel the urge to exercise, I go lay down until it passes." Mark Twain
Wharf Rats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2006, 07:14 PM   #30
3 Rivet Member

2005 31' Classic
Hughsonville , New York
Glen,

I did drive over today (around 12:30) and that must be their crunch time as you mentioned. That being the case, I didn't get a chance to speak with anyone, but they're operation seemed very organized and quite orderly. There was about 9 Tractor-Trailers waiting for washes and two MCI Buses in the bays getting cleaned while I was there. I will definately speak with them about the Airstream. They are right along I-84 which off of exit 5 in NY along the way of most of our planned destiniations making it an easy stop in to and from trips.

Thanks for mentioning them, I would have never known to look up their web page and check for locations otherwise...
Old 07-27-2008, 11:48 AM   #31
Rivet Master

2008 27' International FB
1964 19' Globetrotter
1955 26' Cruiser Overlander
Austin , Texas
Dragging up this old thread as a reason to cool off in the AC....

I use Meguire's Gold car wash...

After spending the morning washing Cosmo in the driveway... It was 75 this morning, now it's 96, with a forcast high to be 101...

I was going to wax her and rain-x the windows, but now I'm going straight back to covered storage and calling it a day.

Hopefully she will not get to dusty before I pull her out next weekend on the way to the RMVAC rally in Colorado!!!

I wonder if this will work well for dust on her...
California Car Duster Company - The Original Magic Car Duster
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P7273358 (Large).JPG
Views:	124
Size:	112.2 KB
ID:	64556   Click image for larger version

Name:	P7273359 (Large).JPG
Views:	119
Size:	141.7 KB
ID:	64557  

Click image for larger version