Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-19-2015, 09:26 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1974 27' Overlander
Twisp , Washington
How do you tell you got it all?

Clear coat, that is. I'm in the process of stripping my AS, got most of one side done, I think, but there are still some areas that look odd. There's some discoloration in several places, but additional coats of stripper don't make any difference. I'm using Citri Strip, per the package instructions, so after I scrape off the stripper, I'm following up with 4/0 steel wool dipped in mineral spirits to get the last of it. After that, a wipe down with an old t-shirt. The t-shirt is turning black, so I'm assuming that's a good indication that I'm down to bare metal, but some doubt still remains . My polishing supplies are in transit, will the polishing get any last little bits of clear-coat left, or will it just refuse to move, forcing me to back up and re-strip?

Other than the discoloration, pitting, and filiform, it looks really nice with the splotchy clear-coat gone, and the panels feel much smoother than the un-stripped ones. Since the trailer is still gutted, I'm removing just about everything attached to the exterior, with the exception of the main awning and the A/C unit. It's making the stripping easier, and that has to carry over to the polishing. More later.

Dave
daved20319 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2015, 09:16 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1969 29' Ambassador
brooksville , Florida
If you have some polish rub it in the skin with a rag, tooth paste will work too. If it turns black when rubbing then the clear coat is off.
Old 09-22-2015, 09:22 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1964 17' Bambi II
Vintage Kin Owner
Schererville , Indiana
Just get a can of aircraft stripper from auto zone or advanced auto parts & keep it handy. You will definitely see the spots that the clear coat didn't come off once you start polishing. Give them a little squirt, remove the bit of clear coat, and continue on. Enjoy!

1964 Bambi II
1988 Avion 32S
Becky B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2015, 08:13 AM   #4
2 Rivet Member

1974 27' Overlander
Twisp , Washington
Thank you both. It's looking like the Citri-strip is more effective than I realized, or my clear coat was in worse shape than I thought, even the areas I was questioning are coming up clear. Got the last of the stuff off the shell yesterday, including the main awning, and determined that there is NO clear coat left on the roof. So another day or so with the stripper and it should be clean. Then it's back into the shop while I take care of a bunch of autumn/pre-winter priority projects before I can actually start polishing. Later.

Dave
daved20319 is offline   Reply With Quote